Why become a member? ×

To five or not to five

razze06

Probably not the first topic on this, but I need some opinions.

I have been toying with the idea that a 5 string bass would be a really good idea for my reggae and ska band. However, i'm just concerned that i will end up with an expensive thumbrest...

Those of you who regularly play a 5 stringer, what you find are the main advantages? Do you use the extra 5 notes much, or is the availability of certain low notes in certain positions?

Bearing in mind that I have no interest in soloing and I don't play any form of metal, would you recommend I gave one a serious try?

Thanks for reading!

Somebody whose opinion I trust said to me... "if you find yourself wishing you could get a bit lower then you should consider a 5" (or something I like that).

That's why I keep ending up back there... low D... and it's easier than drop-D. It does give you other playing options as well. If, like me, your scale knowledge isn't rock solid it can make transposing to a different key a whole lot easier in an emergency. But, honestly, I probably don't play the B string all that much.

Edited by thepurpleblob

I got a 5 because it gave me access to all the notes below E (My band played in E Standard, Drop D, D Standard and Drop C at the time) that i needed without excessive tuning, so yes, if you need the notes below E, i see a 5 as a good tool. It can be very useful in certain situations, and opens up much more possibilites of songs to play when you get bored.

Liam

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1328713294' post='1531533']
Would you think that stringing one of my bass with thicker gauge strings and tuning BEAD would make any sense?
[/quote]

Possibly. I can't imagine that in that type of band you would be using the high string all that much anyway. Maybe string it up and see how it goes? The worst that can happen is that everyone will laugh at you and call you an idiot :)

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1328712640' post='1531519']
Those of you who regularly play a 5 stringer, what you find are the main advantages? Do you use the extra 5 notes much, or is the availability of certain low notes in certain positions?

[/quote]

for me- the latter most definitely, it saves me from having to use the first 4 positions where the frets are too far apart ;)

If you play reggae I suspect the lower notes on the B string could be good dub-wise ??

As FZ once said: "You'll love it. It's a way of life" :)

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1328713294' post='1531533']
Would you think that stringing one of my bass with thicker gauge strings and tuning BEAD would make any sense?
[/quote]

depends on if the neck is strong enough and the truss rod can be set accordingly. consult your tech.

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1328714324' post='1531553']
depends on if the neck is strong enough and the truss rod can be set accordingly. consult your tech.
[/quote]

This isn't exactly a big issue. Neck tension between EADG and BEAD doesn't usually change too much, when i strung up my Ibanez BEAD it only needed a minor intonation tweak and it was spot on.

Liam

[/quote]

That is what the truss rod is there for. I can't imagine most basses would have a problem with this sort of thing. I certainly never have.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[/quote]

Probably find there's slightly less tension in the neck strung BEAD, shouldn't be a problem. My Precision had 5 strings on it when I got it, they'd been on for about 20 years and the neck was fine. It's a 4 string again now, still no problems.

I like having the extra low notes on a 5 string, I don't often sit on them for long as it can sound like the bottom has dropped out of the song unless you've got lots of overtones. Great for passing notes here and there and for songs that have been arranged to suit the lower range.

Buy a low B, string your bass BEAD and see how you get on!

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1328717040' post='1531608']
I have low B already :)
[/quote]

Ah well, you're in business then!

You might find the strings sit a little high in the nut due to the increased guage, hopefully it won't cause you too much of a problem. If you decide to stick with it you can think about opening up the slots with a file or getting a tech to do it.

Fives can be fantastic, but with some caveats, as you make the move from four.

I think you really need to find one that is comfortable for you - ensuring you're happy with the neck and string spacing. They do require some more precision, particular when trying to hammer the E. I picked one where the string spacing felt good in trying... but was a dog when playing for a duration.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1328713081' post='1531527']
Downside is that you need to rethink a lot of your stuff to get the best from it. Is it worth the effort for you?
[/quote]
I hear this a lot from people, but for me the transition was totally natural, with very little technique adjustment required.

That aside, the notes below E are great for filling out the space. Go for it.

It's been a long time since I made the transition from 4 to 5, but the biggest problem I can remember was that I kept forgetting that the uppermost string was a B instead of an E.
Like most thing though, it does eventually sink in and I don't even think about it now.

I've found that basslines that would have had me flying up and down the neck, like a demented imp on speed, can be played across the neck with little effort.

I still use some 4's and a 6, but my 'go to' instrument is always a 5.

After about a year on 5s i realised that i prefer 4 stringers. The transition to 5 wasn't too painful and it did make me rethink some of the stuff i was playing. In fact the playing side was fine but the bass just felt like a freak. It was a lovely Lakland bass - just never felt right. I tried a couple of others too but 5 stringers never floated my boat.

A couple of years ago (as 5s seemed to getting more popular) I decided that I should jump aboard the 5 string train. Did a little research and ordered a custom Stingray... which took several months to arrive.
It was a beautiful looking instrument, perfectly set up and it sounded better than I had imagined.

However, today I am a born again 4 stringer.
I really wanted to enjoy the 5 - I practised with it for quite a few weeks before airing it in public - and used it for a grand total of... 3 shows.
I just couldn't get on with the lower B. Going below E just sounded ugly and wrong. Of course for some music [i]ugly[/i] is good :blink: .
Didn't really like the restricted string spacing much either, although with time I'm sure could've got used to that.

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='Paul_C' timestamp='1328721559' post='1531700']
...with a bass tuned BEAD - it works for me :)

I've had a few 5 strings but never really liked the extra weight or neck width.
[/quote]

Same for me - just can't get on with the weight of most 5s. If I need higher G string notes, I play in a higher position.

I made the transition to a 5 about 20 years ago. I adapted quite quickly and I've never looked back. Can't contemplate going back to a 4 ever. Even if you don't use the notes on the B much they are always there if you need them. Go for it I say!

I've dabbled with five strings over the last couple of years, and am now going over to them more.
This is mainly for practical reasons - there are certain songs the current band do that need to go below E (Skunk Anansie's 'Weak', 'Are you going to go my way' etc), and swapping basses mid rehearsal was pissing me (and, I think, the others) off.

I find that I now tend to play in E off the B string 5th fret, so as someone said earlier, if someone suddenly wants it in Eb, D etc, it's easy.
Also, even when playing in E, even if off the E string itself, its really nice to be able to put a few run ups to the E in now and then.

I have an Ibanez SR505 and GWB35, and the string spacing is narrow, but I like that. If you don't like narrow spacing then there are fivers around with 19mm spacing.

Having said all that my 'Favourite' instrument is still my Fender Urge Mk1 (4 string 32" scale), but that is probably because I like the scale length, and its just a beautiful instrument to play, not because it is a four string..
(what I really want is a fan fretted five string where the G sting is 32" - or a 32" five string where the B still sounds good)

You may need to adjust your technique a bit, but ultimately there's nothing you can do on a four string that you can't do on a five string, but the opposite is not true.
As someone else said, Just try to remember that that bottom string is now a B and not an E (it does take some getting used to).

If your budget will allow for a 5, go and try a few out and see what takes your fancy. In terms of making the change, it's really a matter of sitting down with it and learning what notes are under your fingers and playing your scales and arpeggios to reinforce that.

Another great thing about the 5 is that if your fretting arm's a bit tired, you can fret a lot of the notes from the first five frets further up the neck to give yourself a break (plus you've got more options that much further up). I made the move from 4 to 5 about 16 years ago and have rarely (if ever) used a 4 since although I'm actually thinking about getting a 4 when funds allow.