Why become a member? ×

What strap do you use?

Toasted

Still using the Brooklyn Gear neoprene strap but recently got a Comfort Strapp to compare. I am not sure I like it as much - when seated the seatbelt material irritates the underneath or my right arm which I haven't noticed on the other...

Cheers
ped

I've got a Brooklyn Gear and a Comfort Strapp and like them both. I use Boston straplocks, similar to Schallers, much cheaper and they have two slim nuts so the nuts can be locked and don't work loose like Schallers.

Quality seems to be at least on a par and interchangeable too.

I did have an Overwater strap but they work in a completely different way to the Comfort/Brooklyn straps with the stretchy bit is a single piece of elastic attached to an otherwise non stretchy pad. My bass neck was doing nodding donkey impressions.

I do wonder if they may have been modified?

Peter

Couple of old Destroy / John Richmond, 32”, black, leather belts- removed the buckles and slit a hole either end. The extra 2” of material folded back to secure the buckle came in useful for length, as did the strap guide for decoration. But the buckles went in the garbage.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='330842' date='Nov 17 2008, 05:37 PM']I've got a Brooklyn Gear and a Comfort Strapp and like them both. I use Boston straplocks, similar to Schallers, much cheaper and they have two slim nuts so the nuts can be locked and don't work loose like Schallers.

Quality seems to be at least on a par and interchangeable too.

I did have an Overwater strap but they work in a completely different way to the Comfort/Brooklyn straps with the stretchy bit is a single piece of elastic attached to an otherwise non stretchy pad. My bass neck was doing nodding donkey impressions.

I do wonder if they may have been modified?

Peter[/quote]

A much better idea, those Boston locks. I have lost count of the times the Schallers have come loose.
Just went to buy some Bostons and came across these - has anyone tried them? They look quite nice...
[url="http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/Black_Ultra-Safe_Straplocks_Guitar_Strap_Locks_System_(with_FREE_shipping&#33%3b%29-pr-5315.html"]http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/Black_Ul...:)-pr-5315.html[/url]

ped

One Comfort Strapp, (thank you Alan Cringean) and three posh leather Fender jobbies, (thank you 6stringbassist) which are lovely and will wear nicely over the years.
I used a cheap white leather one for years until I lost it and I had a beautiful buck-skin Musicman strap, that went the same way (nearly left a keyboard stand and my Comfort Strapp at a gig last week). :)

I just got the Marvel straplocks - they are superb! Really nice and solid and the connection between the bass and the strap is really 'positive', and they allow much smoother circular motion than the schaller design, which could get a bit squeaky!

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='332241' date='Nov 19 2008, 01:06 PM']I just got the Marvel straplocks - they are superb! Really nice and solid and the connection between the bass and the strap is really 'positive', and they allow much smoother circular motion than the schaller design, which could get a bit squeaky!

Cheers
ped[/quote]
Ped, do these little fellas fit on the Schaller do-dahs you screw onto the bass itself?

Cheers, John.

Goto www.activebass.com seek out Grizman (Steve Walter) who will happily make you a fantastic leather strap that you can design yourself. I have 2 they are superb.

He makes them himself in the US of A and ships worldwide. He's also a top bloke to boot!

Look left and you'll see one of 'em!!!

Edited by farmer61

[quote name='johnnylager' post='336972' date='Nov 26 2008, 08:22 AM']Ped, do these little fellas fit on the Schaller do-dahs you screw onto the bass itself?

Cheers, John.[/quote]

Hi John,

You need to replace the Schaller 'lugs' with the ones supplied with the locks. They are very similar and take the same sized screws etc so not a problem to switch over at all (unless one of your strap buttons points at the neck, like mine!)

Still very impressed with them, certainly a step up from the schallers.

Cheers
pedro

i use this rainbow strap:

got it when i got my first bass in 1999 for a fiver. shows no signs of wearing out so it'll be around for a while to come! i tried a thick leather strap when i had an overwater as i needed more padding as it was quite heavy, but couldn't get along with it, too grippy! i need it to be able to slide about.. o,0

[quote name='ped' post='338618' date='Nov 27 2008, 04:35 PM']You need to replace the Schaller 'lugs' with the ones supplied with the locks. They are very similar and take the same sized screws etc so not a problem to switch over at all (unless one of your strap buttons points at the neck, like mine!)

Still very impressed with them, certainly a step up from the schallers.[/quote]
The thing I like about the Schallers and their clones (most of mine have the Boston ones on, the Warwicks have the Schallers) is that the strap peg sits in a cradle on the locking bit, so all the locking pin is doing is keeping it from popping out of the cradle - there's no actual load on the locking mechanism. The Marvel looks as if the strap peg just goes into the middle of the flying saucer bit, so the locking mechanism is load bearing (something I didn't like about the recessed straplocks that some Warwicks had). Is that right, and what are your thoughts on the likelihood of the locking mechanism failing if it is load-bearing?

[quote name='tauzero' post='340553' date='Nov 29 2008, 03:56 PM']....The Marvel looks as if the strap peg just goes into the middle of the flying saucer bit, so the locking mechanism is load bearing (something I didn't like about the recessed straplocks that some Warwicks had). Is that right, and what are your thoughts on the likelihood of the locking mechanism failing if it is load-bearing?....[/quote]
Dunlops are the same. The locking pin is the load bearing pin, but I've had one for 20 years and one for 5 years and never had a problem. I never take the straps off, though, so there is no wear on any part of the mechanism.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the Jim Dunlop 'Double D' straps now, amongst others (Get'm Get'm & generic 1" leather jobbie)
Got them all Schaller straplock'd up aswell!

Have a look [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/1663-jim_dunlop_d40_double_d_extra_long_strap"]HERE[/url]at the J.D. one