Why become a member? ×

EasyJet and basses

cccy

Hello people

I apologise if this is in the wrong section...

Does anybody have any experience with EasyJet? I was wondering if they'd let me take a gigbag with me in the cabin. It might seem like a stupid question but this is totally normal with my country's airlines and I don't know what to expect.

Thank you in advance :)

See - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/41208-flying-with-instruments-my-guide/page__st__60"]http://basschat.co.u...de/page__st__60[/url] - from post 73 onwards. And then possibly the entire thread, but steve-soar's recent posts there seem very relevant.

Up until 2006, from 2002 I was flying to Spain and back regularly with an NS CRM5 on Easy Jet, they would let me take it on, if I booked a seat.

Initially I said "it's an electric double bass" they replied "no double basses" so, when I booked the seat, I said it was a cello, no problem!

"Mr Cello" as he became known for booking purposes, had to have a window seat though, apparently he wouldn't be much help in an emergency...

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1328513977' post='1528170']
I doubt they'll let you get a gig bag on, as all cabin luggage has to go in the overheads. Get a hardcase and as long as it and the rest of your luggage is under the weight allowence, you'll be fine.
[/quote]

+1 to this Steve, I've flown with my bass with Easyjet a few times with my bass in its hard case in the hold, never had an issue.

I remember flying back to the UK from the States with a Hohner Steinberger clone just after the Lockerbie bombing. The case looked just like a rifle - drew lots of funny looks !

Very easily stored in the overheads though !