Why become a member? ×

Most hateful song on your covers bands set list?

Dave Tipping

Recently played our drummers leaving do after retiring from 30 years working for the post office, he requested we do Rebel Rebel, i would like to put on record that i would rather stick pins in my eyes than ever play this song again, i really like Bowie but this is one seriously boring song !!!!!!!

In terms of songs I just don't like that we play then I'd go with Umbrella (Manic Street Preachers cover) and Mr Rock'n'Roll. Songs that are not enjoyable for me to play are Stand By Me and I Can See Clearly Now.

However, though there's not much to do I still get goosebumps when playing Chasing Cars - but I think we do it very well.

Maybe I'm just even more weird that I think in that many of the songs already mentioned in this thread have been are part of our set list.

[quote name='baseline9' timestamp='1361883916' post='1992350']
we have been playing Nirvana smells like teen spirit and it saps the life out of me, 4 notes and over 5 mins long!!!
[/quote]

Only 4 notes? Why aren't you playing the other 3 - no wonder it's boring :)

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1328476184' post='1527819']
... It's got to be Black eyed peas "tonights gonna be a good night". It winds me up some nights you nail a bit of rush etc. Which gets little response ... Then you repeat the same four notes along with a sample and the crowd go wild! It leaves me hating the world! Ha ha
[/quote]

I play the intro on that one as a 2 handed tap. It makes it fun.

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1328479706' post='1527914']
Stuck in the Middle - "Well I don't know why I came here tonight" - have played this in 3 out of the last 5 bands I've played with (each time through gritted teeth). :angry:
[/quote]

I'm surprised. The original version has a very cool bass part.

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1328483467' post='1528004']
Many, but the one I really hate is 'You Can Call Me All', by Paul Simon. I never liked Paul Simon, but the drummer in one of my bands is a massive fan and on top of it he wants to sing this song. I already told everybody I absolutely hate it, but I guess the more I say it, the more they want to play it, so I gave up.
[/quote]

That classic "backwards" slap fill is a challenge and everyone loves it when it's pulled off well. That's a favorite moment for me.

[quote name='Kes' timestamp='1328493660' post='1528126']
I've always hated 'hey Jude'

can't stand the song. a few years ago when in a covers band that played gigs about once a week. we all hated the song and so never played it.

Got asked as a special request from the person who booked us, so learnt it, played it once or twice during practice, played it once on stage for them and NEVER AGAIN.

Ugh, horrible horrible and i'm surprised its not on more people's lists...
[/quote]

A great song, but not so much fun to play -- like many standard ballads. But hey. that's out job, right?

I treat cover songs like I'm the bassist in the band. What would I do that fits? Some guys play all over songs that they don't like. That shows disrespect for the music and the audience.

Some of those basslines on hit songs were very thought-out and fit the music well and I feel lucky to be able to present that and get paid for it. If a part is sub par, I try to make it better. That's what music is about. No sense hating what you set out to do.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1362053007' post='1994976']
Only 4 notes? Why aren't you playing the other 3 - no wonder it's boring :)
[/quote]

You had me worried for a minute there, then I remembered the bridge. Haven't played it for a while.

In the context of the song it's actually a good bassline and I enjoy playing it.

If I was going to nominate anything to removed totally from musical history, it would be "Mary Had A Little Lamb" by SRV.

[quote name='vsmith1' timestamp='1361957083' post='1993484']
Songs that are not enjoyable for me to play are Stand By Me and I Can See Clearly Now.

[/quote]

These are great examples of songs that sound like sh*t if they're done on autopilot but can be thrilling to play if the singer sounds like he means it.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1361814563' post='1991332']

I dont mind the Stones. Certainly there are a few of their songs that are rotten , but its the Beatles that I hate. I just never got their thing at all. I realise that Im in the minority, but I just cant stand their stuff and Paul McCartney annoys the f*** out of me!
[/quote]how very dare you sir!!!

My new employers also do Common People and Disco 2000 by Pulp. The latter's not too bad but after only 3 gigs I'm getting a bit bored with Common People. I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing on bass with it, mostly a keyboard song.

[i]Footloose, Time After Time, Walking on Sunshine[/i]

The first 2 because the bandleader won't give me a chord chart, or any dots for riffs which seem to be important (and the bass player never gets the feel right for [i]Time After Time[/i]), the latter because it has a thrashy-trashy rhythm part which I can't play and virtually no scope for inventing an interesting solo.

It used to be [i]Islands in the stream[/i] because it was a crap chord progression that never went anywhere but fortunately it's off the set list now and it's STAYING OFF!