Why become a member? ×

What the hell is 'GAS' ?!?

Jonny Walker

[b]G[/b]ear [b]A[/b]cquisition [b]S[/b]yndrome

An increasingly common phenomena where one thinks one has every bit of equipment that he/she needs but is then driven by an overwhelming desire to buy more gear for one of several reasons, including
[list]
[*]Having played one or through one at a Basschat bash
[*]Everyone goes on about this particular bass/amp/pedal as the latest 'must have'
[*]..or simply having seen a picture of some drool-worthy item
[/list]

Unfortunately at this time, there is no know cure :)

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='bassman2790' post='170535' date='Apr 6 2008, 01:09 AM']Unfortunately at this time, there is no know cure :)[/quote]

yes there is. just don't ever use the internet or read guitar and bass magazines ever again. never go to a guitar shop or bass bash.

i'd rather have the GAS.

Edited by lwtait

[quote name='lwtait' post='170705' date='Apr 6 2008, 02:19 PM']yes there is. just don't ever use the internet or read guitar and bass magazines ever again. never go to a guitar shop or bass bash.

i'd rather have the GAS.[/quote]

Nah, that won't work, what's seen cannot be unseen, you'd still know there's other basses out there, which might be better, and you'd know of different configs, the GAS would slowly build up and then take you over with explosive results.

The only way to be sure would be to never ever play an instrument, which isn't going to happen.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='170535' date='Apr 6 2008, 01:09 AM']Unfortunately at this time, there is no know cure :huh:[/quote]
You're wrong, there is a cure, and a fantastic one at that (though you may lose some loved ones) which is to buy the item you have GAS for....

I've got some pretty bad GAS now actually :)
In more ways than one...

[quote name='budget bassist' post='170801' date='Apr 6 2008, 05:40 PM']You're wrong, there is a cure, and a fantastic one at that (though you may lose some loved ones) which is to buy the item you have GAS for....

I've got some pretty bad GAS now actually :)
In more ways than one...[/quote]

Feeding the GAS merely suppresses it for a few weeks until you a) see something ELSE you like or b[b][/b]) what you bought doesn't live up to expectations.

[quote name='Machines' post='170807' date='Apr 6 2008, 05:46 PM']Feeding the GAS merely suppresses it for a few weeks until you a) see something ELSE you like or b[b][/b]) what you bought doesn't live up to expectations.[/quote]
This is true, once you acquire the gear you tend to move onto something else... i know i do :)

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='170553' date='Apr 6 2008, 02:56 AM']well.. i do have everything i need at the moment, although im saving for a mesa big block 750 4x10 1x15 rig :)[/quote]
nice one of them sitting second hand in a shop in glasgow the now

Edited by d-basser