Why become a member? ×

"Modified" Rickenbacker 4001

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980-Rickenbacker-Model-4001-Electric-Bass-Guitar-w-Non-Original-Bridge-192953-/260934987819?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cc0eff02b"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980-Rickenbacker-Model-4001-Electric-Bass-Guitar-w-Non-Original-Bridge-192953-/260934987819?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cc0eff02b[/url]

With a replacement bridge and a replacement nut, one can only wonder what it's like between the two!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1328387043' post='1526380']
With a replacement bridge and a replacement nut, one can only wonder what it's like between the two!
[/quote]
Presumably like a dream, Geddy Lee had the same badass modification on all his 4001's.

Agreed that a Badass could be an improvement over the manufacturers, but it's the way it's been done. The nut looks like its on wonky and what is that under the bridge? It looks like its a similar shape to the Ric bridge footprint, but is that part of the original? I presume the plastic is their to give the Badass a bit of height?

It's to cover up the routing under the Ric bridge. A fairly horrible job in this case but that's the reason. If you stick a Badass on a Ric without it you'll have bloody great holes in your bass.

You know, everyone goes on about how crap Ric bridges are but the early aluminium ones don't experience tail lift at all (I know, I've got 2). The worst bridge I've ever had by a mile was the original one on my early '70s P Bass. I play really lightly and I still couldn't get the strings to stay where they were.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1328445517' post='1526961']

You know, everyone goes on about how crap Ric bridges are but the early aluminium ones don't experience tail lift at all (I know, I've got 2). The worst bridge I've ever had by a mile was the original one on my early '70s P Bass. I play really lightly and I still couldn't get the strings to stay where they were.
[/quote]

Agreed. I've never had a problem with the bridge on my Ric, and as you say, its more stable than a bog standard Fender bridge.