Why become a member? ×

Pick wear

musophilr

I don't like playing bass with a pick, but I do so because I dislike broken fingernails even more. I like fingerpicking at a guitar (sometimes) and use a plectrum when I'm not fingerpicking so that my nails are preserved for when I really need them.

On guitar, my favourite plectrums are Dunlop stainless 0.55mm, but sometimes I use TeckPick brass ones for a slighty mellower sound.

I've been using a TeckPick brass pick for bass, but noticed today its point isn't so pointy anymore and the straight bit is getting ground to somewhat of a knife edge. The strings (Picato flatwounds) don't appear to have suffered (yet). I don't mind the sound, but would switch to a different material if anyone could suggest a likewise rigid improvement which still feels slim & flat like the TeckPick.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1328355003' post='1525854']
I only ever play with a pick, and have done over 35 years... HERCO FLEX 50 GOLD from the USA!
Slightly flexible (but not floppy) and extremely durable! You won't go back!

[/quote]

I must play a lot harder (or use more abrasive strings) than you. I use Herco Flex 75s bought in packets of 100 which generally last me about 5 years. Each pick has a maximum of 10 gigs or rehearsals in them before the tips are worn away. That's If I haven't lost them first.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1328306455' post='1525449']
Dunlop Ultex are far more hardwearing than the usual soft plastic picks. I get a few months wear out of them.
[/quote]
Hideous things though aren't they. No feedback at all. I prefer the yellow Dunlop Tortex triangles these days. Enough durability, three points, and flexible enough to give you some feedback from your fingers.

I use Dunlop Tortex "The Wedge" picks, 1.14mm. Bit more pointed than the regular Tortex picks. The point does wear down after a while to where they just look like normal picks, but at that point the wear stops. I`ve been using the same 3 (1 at home, 2 for rehearsals/gigs) for the last 3 years at least, possibly longer.

And they`ve got a purple tortoise on them!

Stiff ones or floppy ones? Many guitarists use flexible picks. I don't. With a rigid pick, I can control dynamics by how hard I grip the pick. With a flexible pick, I can't. I guess that's why I've started using rigid picks for bass without even thinking about any other alternative. If only my fingernails weren't so fragile I wouldn't be using pick at all for bass.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1328832964' post='1533629']
Hideous things though aren't they. No feedback at all. I prefer the yellow Dunlop Tortex triangles these days. Enough durability, three points, and flexible enough to give you some feedback from your fingers.
[/quote]

I really don't mind them - although I understand what you mean about them being very stiff. I use a 0.76mm Ultex which has just enough flexibility for me, and feels similar to a 1mm+ Tortex.

If caught without a pick I seem to manage with whatever guitar pick I can find, so maybe a bit of my preference is just habit.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1328870180' post='1533927']
Are they made of cheese!
[/quote]

That would explain it... possibly the cheese i have been playing with them has managed to alter their physical structure on an atomic level, alchemy if you will.
Or it could be that i play a lot of gigs, and beat the picks too bloody hard... I prefer the first one though.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1328872276' post='1533985']
That would explain it... possibly the cheese i have been playing with them has managed to alter their physical structure on an atomic level, alchemy if you will.
Or it could be that i play a lot of gigs, and beat the picks too bloody hard... I prefer the first one though.
[/quote]

Maybe you mistook some Dairylea triangles for picks in the dark?

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1328864778' post='1533761']
I use Clayton 1.07mm big tortex triangles. Last ages. I moved from the Dunlop blue 1.0mm big triangles as they just feel a bit nicer.
[/quote]

Clayton picks are excellent - I have the Acetal 1.26mm Standards custom printed with our band logo, and they last aaages.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1328357996' post='1525899']
I must play a lot harder (or use more abrasive strings) than you.
[/quote]

More than possible, but I'm not one of these 'light touch' players, so I can only imagine that you are digging in big time!
Plus you use 75s and I use 50s, so maybe there's more resistance, or some such.

Edited by discreet