Why become a member? ×

Best compressor?

basstech

As a Rack unit i love the rane dc24, i think this is the best comp i played.
But i changed my amp from rack to tube.
As a pedal i love the demeter compulator but changed this one to markbass compressore tube comp pedal,
Really nice and everything you need in my oppinion.

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1328315726' post='1525595']
The 'best' compressor is the one that does what [b]you[/b] want it to do.
[/quote]

For example, I made a BYOC optical compressor. 2 controls, set unity gain, dial in amount of compression, job done!

Not what you're after in terms of parameter control but they do a 5 knob version of the Ross compressor which looks good. The new MXR also has a lot of control and metering. Ovnilabs gave it a very good review here:- [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/mxrbass.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/mxrbass.shtml[/url]

As mentioned, there's so many angles on this. For example, there's a 3 leaf audio PWNZOR for sale on here - it's a good pedal for enhancing/fattening tone, organic feel etc. Bongo describes it as the opposite of the MXR, which is more transparent, and better at limiting, so suits slap better. So that gives you one perspective. You mention control. In this regard I would refer you to FEA labs and Empress, which strike me as very near the top of the pedal comp league table. Metering is pretty important if you are concerned about control. That takes you on to rack mounted, where you get as much control as you could want.

Edited by RichF

Ask 5 different people and you'll possibly get 5 different answers. You need to try as many as possible and pick the one that you personally like.
[/quote]

Ask 5 bassists what the best compressor is and you'll get 8 different answers! ;)

I always struggle with the parameters as on knobs they mean nothing to me, ratio and threshold especially. I like the control but no idea what I'm doing.

One's with visual aids are always good as they tell you when it's compressing and good if you only want that light compression to hold the big peaks in,

one knobbers are easy to use and sound good, even more useful if they have a visal aid, but depends weather you want that control or not.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1328398454' post='1526584']
Ask 5 bassists what the best compressor is and you'll get 8 different answers! ;)
[/quote]

Yup! And just to prove it, my answer would be DBX 160A for rack or EBS Multicomp for pedalboard. The DBX is a good choice if, like me, you find yourself doing bits of recording and sound tech as well as bass playing, because it's such an all-rounder you'll always find something for it to be doing. Sortof justifies the extra expense in getting hold of the thing in the first place! Nice on-stage light-show, too :)

Already been said but this is the best place to find out all you need to know about Bass compression [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/"]www.ovnilab.com/[/url]

I've used many different compressors and personally would recommend a very simple set up, too many variables makes it very difficult to easily adjust the settings on the fly. The Rothwell Love Squeeze is briliant, British built, great customer service and a great name for the pedal. However, as has already been said, something with metering is a good idea.

Ask 5 different people and you'll possibly get 5 different answers. You need to try as many as possible and pick the one that you personally like.
[/quote]

+1 Makes a lot of sense.

Although I`ve only had it a week, I really like my EBS Multicomp - it evens everything out, without ever sounding like the sound is changing. In fact, the time you notice is best is when it isn`t on, it`s that subtle - exactly what I want from it. I`ve had others that seem to reduce the low frequencies as soon as you switch them on, irrespective of settings, but luckily the EBS doesn`t do this.

I just got a Effectode PC-2A and it is lush !!!!!!
It is unobtrusive and it sounds like you have plugged into a high quality pre amp ( which you have )
There is no noise or evidence when the threshold is crossed just smooth expensive sounding compression.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328443233' post='1526901']
+1 Makes a lot of sense.

Although I`ve only had it a week, I really like my EBS Multicomp - it evens everything out, without ever sounding like the sound is changing. In fact, the time you notice is best is when it isn`t on, it`s that subtle - exactly what I want from it. I`ve had others that seem to reduce the low frequencies as soon as you switch them on, irrespective of settings, but luckily the EBS doesn`t do this.
[/quote]
I've just got an EBS Multicomp myself

Can I ask which mode you use and the settings? I've tried the 'tube' mode on a gig but have had to go back to the drawing board as it was changing the sound more than I intended