Why become a member? ×

somewhat pissed off

artisan

oh crap :)
i was shure my GK head unit had crapped out at last weeks gig.so much so that i've just bought a new Ampeg head unit-rushed home like a dememted twat-plugged it into my GK speaker & ...........................................................................
....................................................................................................
wait for it ..........................................................................................ready.....
NOWT !.
turns out there's nothing wrong with the GK head unit its the speaker thats buggered :huh:
i just blew £700 ish & now me speakers knackered.
the horn works ok but the woofer's silent-oh poo.
hope its fixable
which is a point its i need a new speaker can you buy a 4ohm 15" speaker
& could i fit it into my 115SBX-11 cab
would it work ok.
cheers guys,
think i need a beer.

GK 1001RB-11 anyone ?

You need to check the speakers technical spec or get a replacement from GK. I think they are distributed by SMART who have a member on here. Its not like any 15inch speaker will do.

Why didn't you check whether it was the amp or cab before buying a new one, or was it a crafty gas attack.

If you bought the amp from a shop, why don't you just take it back again and explain the situation. You are perfectly entitled to do so within 14 days without any quibble. Even if you bought from the internet.

I recently bought a 4ohm 15" Neo replacement speaker by Celestion from a place called Lean business. Put it in my Hartke XL cab to replace the blown Hartke speaker and it works a treat! And it's probably a bit smoother than the old one.

Only about 60 odd quid as well.

[quote name='dood' post='170391' date='Apr 5 2008, 07:11 PM']If you bought the amp from a shop, why don't you just take it back again and explain the situation. You are perfectly entitled to do so within 14 days without any quibble. Even if you bought from the internet.[/quote]

Is that right?

I was under the impression that you only had a cooling off period if the transaction was made in your home - like with a door to door salesman. I didn't think there was a statutory right for a refund from shops if you just change your mind, though of course a lot of places would refund you anyway.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='170377' date='Apr 5 2008, 06:45 PM']You need to check the speakers technical spec or get a replacement from GK. I think they are distributed by SMART who have a member on here. Its not like any 15inch speaker will do.

Why didn't you check whether it was the amp or cab before buying a new one, or was it a crafty gas attack.[/quote]

you know it :)
just don't tell the missus.

[quote name='Kubickiboy' post='170411' date='Apr 5 2008, 07:54 PM']I recently bought a 4ohm 15" Neo replacement speaker by Celestion from a place called Lean business. Put it in my Hartke XL cab to replace the blown Hartke speaker and it works a treat! And it's probably a bit smoother than the old one.

Only about 60 odd quid as well.[/quote]
cheers i'll try to find a web address for them-unless you know it.

[quote name='dood' post='170391' date='Apr 5 2008, 07:11 PM']If you bought the amp from a shop, why don't you just take it back again and explain the situation. You are perfectly entitled to do so within 14 days without any quibble. Even if you bought from the internet.[/quote]

hehe
always wanted an Ampeg but the missus said they were too expensive.
but thanks any way Dood

look at blue aran on the web, they are in southampton, but they do mail order
They have a huge range of speakers from eminence, celestion, beyma etc
I bought a emminence bass light neo from them in 4 ohm for an old acoustic cab

Perhaps a silly question but....

Have you had the cab to bits yet to check it's not something simple like a cable come off the driver or connector plate?

If it's got a horn as well, could the passive crossover have packed up?

Don't want you forking out again for the wrong thing if you don't have to :)

thanks guys.yes i've checked for loose wires etc & all looks well but i'm not good with electrickery so i'll get it checked out first.
as for the speaker i think i'll probably go the neo route,maybee a 500w 4ohm & just bin the horn,but your probably right the cross over is most lilkey.i took the speaker out & it looks fine (to a numpty like me anyway)
:)

Edited by artisan

[quote name='artisan' post='170578' date='Apr 6 2008, 09:59 AM']i took the speaker out & it looks fine (to a numpty like me anyway)
:)[/quote]

Best thing to do is try and connect your amp directly onto the driver if you can do it, see if it's working.

Another test is to straddle the dust cover in the centre of the driver cone with your fingers and gently push on the cone. It should move easily backwards and forwards (as it would normally when working).

If it's stuck solid, then it's destroyed itself! You may often also get movement but feel a lot of scratching as it does so. This is also a bad sign.

Double check your cables....... always the weakest part in any chain...... also on some of the GK cab's, depending which model you have.... you can run them Bi-Amp so make sure your not just running the HF... you'll need to use all four pins of the speakon connector to get control over both the tweeter and woofers

Oh yeah and GK is distributed in the UK by Beyerdynamic.

[quote name='crez5150' post='170702' date='Apr 6 2008, 02:11 PM']Double check your cables....... always the weakest part in any chain...... also on some of the GK cab's, depending which model you have.... you can run them Bi-Amp so make sure your not just running the HF... you'll need to use all four pins of the speakon connector to get control over both the tweeter and woofers

Oh yeah and GK is distributed in the UK by Beyerdynamic.[/quote]

thanks for the info.i tried with my GK head (actually not mine anymore) & also tried it with my new ampeg + new speaker lead-with cab set to full range-& ziltch.
as for warranty its over 12 months old so out of warranty period.
i might just flog it cheap as repairable-if anyone's interested-& buy an ampeg cab.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='Musky' post='170422' date='Apr 5 2008, 08:22 PM']Is that right?

I was under the impression that you only had a cooling off period if the transaction was made in your home - like with a door to door salesman. I didn't think there was a statutory right for a refund from shops if you just change your mind, though of course a lot of places would refund you anyway.[/quote]

Im sure you are right.
Its called the distance selling act or something like that.
But i bet they would take it back if you explained what had happened. they might charge a re stocking fee.