Why become a member? ×

3 finger playing

Bass_man219

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1328278471' post='1524856']
Surely if you cant play fast enough with two then you should practice more instead of taking the easy way out?

I also don't think that the third finger ever quite manages to get the right sound or control in the playing ive heard. It always sounds weaker and compromises dynamic control.
[/quote]
It's not taking the easy way out. As ever, YMMV, but to dismiss it out of hand is stupid. It has advantages and disadvantages like every technique.

I think there is a limit to how fast you can go with two fingers. For most people, it's not a problem since they don't need to go that fast. It also makes it easier to play faster for longer, since each finger does less work. I don't know what style or styles of music you play, but for bands I've been in it's important.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' timestamp='1328286394' post='1525040']
It's not taking the easy way out. As ever, YMMV, but to dismiss it out of hand is stupid. It has advantages and disadvantages like every technique.

I think there is a limit to how fast you can go with two fingers. For most people, it's not a problem since they don't need to go that fast. It also makes it easier to play faster for longer, since each finger does less work. I don't know what style or styles of music you play, but for bands I've been in it's important.
[/quote]

Also, as you get older, and your wrists start to hate the cold weather, it is bloody useful for keeping going. :)

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' timestamp='1328286394' post='1525040']

[/quote]

ive played in lots of genres but ive never NEEDED the technique... to me its like slap. its interesting and has its place, but not a technique that every bass player NEEDS to master.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1328287532' post='1525063']
ive played in lots of genres but ive never NEEDED the technique... to me its like slap. its interesting and has its place, but not a technique that every bass player NEEDS to master.
[/quote]
Most people don't need it. But if you find yourself in a band where playing 16ths at 180bpm constantly is what's required then it's one way of achieving that.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that everyone should learn it.

[quote name='Bass_man219' timestamp='1328287920' post='1525075']
I want to learn three fingers to play slayer stuff eventually. Thanks for all the input :)
[/quote]
Raining Blood is one of my usual examples for people who say "Why would you need that?".

Edited by velvetkevorkian

I use a three-finger technique similar to that demonstrated by Gary Willis, see the clips at [url="http://garywillis.com/369"]http://garywillis.com/369[/url]. Mine varies in that the ring finger mutes the string above the one your first two fingers are playing, and plays the first note when you move to that string, with your thumb coming off the string lower (or the pickup or wherever its resting) to mute the string you've just stopped playing.

It's probably much easier to demonstrate than describe. Either way, it's built up enough oomph in the ring finger to pull off a good consistent triplet/gallop feel without breaking a sweat.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1328304555' post='1525392']
...the ring finger mutes the string above the one your first two fingers are playing, and plays the first note when you move to that string, with your thumb coming off the string lower (or the pickup or wherever its resting) to mute the string you've just stopped playing.[/quote]

And then you move your clothes down onto the lower peg immediately after lunch, before you write your letter home, if you're not getting your hair cut, unless you've got a younger brother who is going out this weekend as the guest of another boy.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1328279163' post='1524879']

I've practiced using my third finger for years and I don't notice any loss of control or dynamic range when I do so.

[/quote]
That to me is the key to 3 fingers. Getting that 3rd finger to acheive a level dynamic with the rest. Concentrate on that and the rest will fall into place.

I used to play The Trooper with 4 fingers. I don't remember anyone saying that my playing was uneven.
I went to see Nicko McBrain the other month doing his "audience with". He doesn't use a double bass drum pedal! Ever! when the guys are playing that music every night for two years you would expect them to be able to play that fast.

I'm not touring with Maiden, or anyone else, I just hit the string with whichever finger is ready.

• 1 year later...

I've played around with this technique for a while. problem I have is this: At a slow tempo, I'm pretty much even playing with two or three fingers. Build up the tempo though and I've found that three fingers are good for speed, but two for dexterity. Now, my question is this - work on building up the speed on two fingered playing or the dexterity of three?

Wondered where we were going with this until I saw Sheehan's and Harris's styles mentioned.

To my mind 3 fingered technique is thumb, 1 and 2... as there is far more variation in it than what Harris does which gets pretty samey pretty quickly with those raging triplet patterns.
Billy Sheeham has a whole lot more other stuff going on, and it is a far stronger sound.
The problem with the thrid/ring finger is that it can sound weak and awkward, IMO, and even if it doesn't ( ala Sheehan, ) it has nowhere esle to go.

But to do it just to mix up your regime, then fine.. but pretty naff for the most part, IMO.

I use 3 fingers, use Billy Sheehan's technique using 1st, Index and Ring finger in order. So for semiquavers:

1-In-R-1 In-R-1-In R-1-In-R 1-In-R-1

it takes a bit of time to not just go 1-In-R-In 1-In-R-In 1-In-R-In 1-In-R-In

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1364224660' post='2023403']
I use 3 fingers, use Billy Sheehan's technique using 1st, Index and Ring finger in order. So for semiquavers:

1-In-R-1 In-R-1-In R-1-In-R 1-In-R-1

it takes a bit of time to not just go 1-In-R-In 1-In-R-In 1-In-R-In 1-In-R-In
[/quote]

Isn't the index finger your first finger, the pointer?

Iron Maiden "Ides of March" has a great galloping bassline.... I'm learning it at the moment for my new band.... I played with trying a 3 finger approach, but find my triplet accuracy is better with 2, so I'm sticking with 2.

Great track to try 3 finger playing if that's what you want though.

I've just had my bass partner in crime up for lunch today (just so happened we'd both had the day off work) and I played it for her and we were discussing the triplet accuracy.... It's a challenge to play but I'm getting there.... In fact Deb has told me to ditch the 10% slower version I did on Audacity as I am handling it at full speed ;)

Have fun!

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1364228488' post='2023485']
I'm not sure it is a triplet Deb. in the rock books I'm using the gallop is an eighth note followed by 2 sixteenths...try that with two fingers
:-)
[/quote]

The iron maiden track is triplets Paul.

The eighths followed by 2 sixteenth is a different type of gallop!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1328278471' post='1524856']
Surely if you cant play fast enough with two then you should practice more instead of taking the easy way out?

I also don't think that the third finger ever quite manages to get the right sound or control in the playing ive heard. It always sounds weaker and compromises dynamic control.
[/quote]

Some of us play 16th notes at 220bpm+ not only does three fingers enable us to do this it also assists with Stamina. At my peak i was up to around 210bpm but i stopped practicing it and i am a lot slower.

I play with three fingers, but not in the same way that Steve Harris does it...that galloping triplet style. I try to keep the rhythm consistent for fast playing or doing crescendo. I developed a weird triplet ghost note technique a few years back for funky rhythms which sounds pretty cool too.

I build speed and dexterity by learning maiden with 2 finger gallops originally. When I started trying to learn some Sheehan era DLR, I started using 3 fingers (shy boy, etc) but recently started playing some maiden again and actually found the 2 finger gallop was still the way my brain wanted to play the songs. Somewhere in time is a real workout: loneliness of the long distance runner is excellent if you try to double mcbrain's double bass work.

It's a useful skill if you can perfect it, 3 fingers: I've got exercises I've developed which work the 3 plucking fingers in 4 ways - 2 "directions", with leading finger and string skipping approaches. I use them as warmups (about 15 mins covering both hands) before playing a few scale parts.

And at 42, my 3 fingers are still improving - triplet time at 132bpm is now almost possible in both directions, with recent breakthroughs on leading with my middle finger on "leading finger" exercises.

As a result, I use 3 fingers pretty much all the time: eventually your right hand ring finger starts to join the party without being asked. ;-)