Gwilym

Where are they?

- Demeter HBP-1
- Demeter HBP-600
- SWR Electric Blue / SWR Baby Blue
- SWR Spellbinder Blue combo
- Eden WT800, WT550, WP100 Navigator
- Mesa M-Pulse Walkabout

I think I saw one of the Genz Benz heads had it, but can't find which one so I could be mistaken.

Any reason why is it not a common feature?

Edited by Gwilym

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1328045756' post='1520995']
I assume you're after heads with fully parametric EQs with the Q control?
[/quote]

Indeed. Not that I'm necessarily looking at buying anything at the moment, I thought compiling a list of them might be useful to someone. It seems to make sense that a bass amp would have this as a feature. Most do not, therefore I'm also wondering why that might be?

[quote name='Gwilym' timestamp='1328046096' post='1521004']
Indeed. Not that I'm necessarily looking at buying anything at the moment, I thought compiling a list of them might be useful to someone. It seems to make sense that a bass amp would have this as a feature. Most do not, therefore I'm also wondering why that might be?
[/quote]

just to say - neither of the SWRs you mention have Q-control on the parametric eq - you can adjust the frequency and boost/cut, but not the Q

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1328048588' post='1521069']
just to say - neither of the SWRs you mention have Q-control on the parametric eq - you can adjust the frequency and boost/cut, but not the Q
[/quote]

ah yes, I'm actually not that bothered about the Q, so anything with a semi-parametric EQ that goes down to the bass frequencies would do. :)

[quote name='Gwilym' timestamp='1328048739' post='1521076']
ah yes, I'm actually not that bothered about the Q, so anything with a semi-parametric EQ that goes down to the bass frequencies would do. :)
[/quote]

well i can vouch for the SWRs - i love my baby baby blue. having the para eq really shows you what a little bit of boost or cut at [i]just[/i] the right frequency can do.

i've got a studio 220 head as well which has four (count them ! four ! ) bands of parametric eq.

that's for sale btw ;)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1328049285' post='1521106']
The bandwidth (Q) control is the bit that can make it seem that nothing is hapening or that EVERYTHING is happening.

EA has semi-parametric.
[/quote]

So what's the main benefit on your Demeter? Or could you live without it?

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1328049671' post='1521125']
well i can vouch for the SWRs - i love my baby baby blue. having the para eq really shows you what a little bit of boost or cut at [i]just[/i] the right frequency can do.

i've got a studio 220 head as well which has four (count them ! four ! ) bands of parametric eq.

that's for sale btw ;)
[/quote]

hehe, I've a softspot for pre Fender SWR, and I'd love an Electric Blue if I could find one :)

[quote name='Gwilym' timestamp='1328048739' post='1521076']

[/quote]

In that case the EBS Fafner has a semi-parametric mid which I love - I tend to leave the bass and treble more or less flat, boost the mids and use the frequency control to tune it to the room.

I think fully parametric eqs are less popular as a lot of people don't really know what the Q control does and so ignore it or mis-use it, both of which will make it sound a bit sh*t. Like you say it's not that complicated but it's not something a lot of people are familiar with

[quote name='Gwilym' timestamp='1328050455' post='1521156']
hehe, I've a softspot for pre Fender SWR, and I'd love an Electric Blue if I could find one :)
[/quote]
BC'er Chris Kelly (chrkelly) is selling a Baby Blue combo for not a whole lot of moolah (£320) on the forum, Gwilym .. and he's in London too :)

Here's the link: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/165627-original-swr-baby-blue-combo/page__p__1515842__hl__baby%20blue__fromsearch__1#entry1515842"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/165627-original-swr-baby-blue-combo/page__p__1515842__hl__baby%20blue__fromsearch__1#entry1515842[/url]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Gwilym' timestamp='1328050358' post='1521151']
So what's the main benefit on your Demeter? Or could you live without it?
[/quote]

It stops feedback on my DB. It is convenient to have it all in a 1U rack space. I could not live without parametric for amplifying DB for loud gigs. My B/Bb on my A string would howl all night long without something to tame it.

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1328080942' post='1521371']
Weren't older yamaha combo/heads fitted with parametric, B100 series?
[/quote]

My Yamaha PB1 Preamp has a fully parametric eq yeah. It's really handy. It's got the all important Q filter which makes it far more useful.
I've been using it with a QSC RMX850, weighs 16kg alone but is thunderously powerful and barely gets warm. I am selling it though, trying to go down the 1u class D route.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1328058703' post='1521318']
In that case the EBS Fafner has a semi-parametric mid which I love - I tend to leave the bass and treble more or less flat, boost the mids and use the frequency control to tune it to the room.

I think fully parametric eqs are less popular as a lot of people don't really know what the Q control does and so ignore it or mis-use it, both of which will make it sound a bit sh*t. Like you say it's not that complicated but it's not something a lot of people are familiar with
[/quote]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328082801' post='1521387']
Hartke HA4000. Had, on both Low-Mid and High-Mid, a Frequency Select, Bandwidth Size, and Boost/Cut. Worked very well.
[/quote]

The Hartke and the Fafner are both with "low-mid" parametric EQ's rather than "bass" parametric. Although the Fafner does go down to 50Hz, which is almost bass :)

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' timestamp='1328060197' post='1521327']
My Eden WT400 has a semi-parametric EQ. It's the best sounding amp I've ever had
[/quote]
Yes, I'd spotted that - sweepable down to 30Hz I think? Although there is a separate bass control too?

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1328080942' post='1521371']
Weren't older yamaha combo/heads fitted with parametric, B100 series?
[/quote]

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' timestamp='1328085247' post='1521414']
My Yamaha PB1 Preamp has a fully parametric eq yeah. It's really handy. It's got the all important Q filter which makes it far more useful.
I've been using it with a QSC RMX850, weighs 16kg alone but is thunderously powerful and barely gets warm. I am selling it though, trying to go down the 1u class D route.
[/quote]

Cool, I'll check out the Yammys..

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1328083533' post='1521392']
It stops feedback on my DB. It is convenient to have it all in a 1U rack space. I could not live without parametric for amplifying DB for loud gigs. My B/Bb on my A string would howl all night long without something to tame it.
[/quote]

And what about for bass guitar?

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1328081872' post='1521377']
BC'er Chris Kelly (chrkelly) is selling a Baby Blue combo for not a whole lot of moolah (£320) on the forum, Gwilym .. and he's in London too :)

Here's the link: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/165627-original-swr-baby-blue-combo/page__p__1515842__hl__baby%20blue__fromsearch__1#entry1515842"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1515842[/url]
[/quote]

thanks Clarky, I've already spoken the Chris about it - unfortunately by the time he got back to my PM I'd already bought another bass, so can't go for it at the moment. I'd prefer the Electric Blue anyway, which is the head only version of the Baby Blue.