Why become a member? ×

What Combo or amp/cab for about £6-700

xgsjx

[quote name='xgsjx' post='173075' date='Apr 9 2008, 01:27 PM']Pikefloyd, what size gigs do you use the GK 700RBII-210 without PA assistance & do you use a cab with it?
This very combo was what I was originally looking at but then found a little extra funds to stretch to the 1001 210 combo or the MB CMD 102P (which I keep hearing wonderful things about) & then if needs be add a cab, maybe that would be to build a Bill Fitzmaurice cab.[/quote]

At band practice I use just the GK 700RBII-210, and I have no problems at all keeping up with the drummer and guitarist, (who has a 100W Valve Marshall head and 4x12 Cab), I have plenty of headroom. At gigs I also use the GK 410 SBX extension cabinet, which to be honest is probably overkill for the size of gigs we play (300 people max, but usually pubs etc). With the extension cabinet i get the full 480watts out of the head, I don't plug into the PA.

Edited by Pikefloyd

I tried a PJB Suitcase in GuitarGuitar & it did have a lovely tone but when I tried turning it up a bit it seemed to sound a little farty. Not sure if this was a faulty combo but it kinda put me off em.
As for the Ashdown, I do agree it has a nice sound but the one I tried just didn't suit my style of playing. Just didn't seem versatile enough if you know what I mean (no disrespect there intended).
I've used an old trace combo a couple of times, but I don't wanna go 2nd hand & heard that the new ones ain't so great (although I haven't tried one).
That's good to know about the GK that I could get away with using just a similar one on it's own til I save for a cab at a later date (you know when that time is near I'll start a similar thread! lol).

Thanks for all the good advice, it's been much appreciated.

Well folks, I went for the.......
MarkBass CMD 102P. Just took delivery of it & got it from the Bass Merchant (Darren's a very nice person to talk & do business with).
What can I say? Only tried it for @ 30 mins in the house, but what a sound! I can't wait til Monday just to get it wapped up & see what it's like at decent volumes (I did turn it up a bit in here to about the 10 O'clock position with the gain at about 1/2 & had to turn it down).

Here's a pic of it & will let you know how it is in a louder situation later. :huh:

[attachment=7872:DSC00077.JPG]

Back to work for me now :)

Just been reading through this and it's very interesting. I'd be really interested on how you get on with it, looks very tidy from the photo. The Markbass website says you can add another 102 Cab on the bottom on it. Wow!

I may abandon me saving for an Orange and punt for something similar to this instead...

Edited by Moody