Why become a member? ×

Markbass TTE 'Randy Jackson' head

lawriemacmillan

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1338319179' post='1672754']
I always thought those 15's would work well as a pair. They can go pretty low on their own but they don't get 'boomy'. Running a 2nd one should fill the sound out nicely without it all becoming just low bass.[/quote]

Yep, that pretty much sums them up.

[quote name='whynot' timestamp='1338414326' post='1674381']
Loving the look of that rig Gareth.
The RJ amp is probably the only Markbass head I've ever really liked the look of completely.
[/quote]

Thanks, and yes, I have never really liked any of their other amps either!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1338319179' post='1672754']
I always thought those 15's would work well as a pair. They can go pretty low on their own but they don't get 'boomy'. Running a 2nd one should fill the sound out nicely without it all becoming just low bass. I tried the pair of Bag End 15's when Phil had them & they sounded great. First time I've ever tried 2x15's together.
[/quote]

2x15 just makes more acoustical sense than 8x10 or 2 4x10s. Less speakers for the mids to get all jumbled up, and incredibly tight and controlled low end.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1338444641' post='1674565']
Dropping some vintage Mullards into my amp tonight! :D

And anyone noticed how Opticaleye and I have almost the same settings on our amps?
[/quote]

They'd probably be closer (input gain higher) if I wasn't so wary of shaking the windows! The settings will probably vary depending on the bass with this amp (unlike the LM2 which I left pretty much flat).
I'll be rehearsing next week and it will be the first chance to hear it with the 2 Club 121's in a band situation. Also I will be able to test it with my NSD electric upright.
I'd be interested to hear what you think about the Mullards :)

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1338465165' post='1674944']
They'd probably be closer (input gain higher) if I wasn't so wary of shaking the windows! The settings will probably vary depending on the bass with this amp (unlike the LM2 which I left pretty much flat).
I'll be rehearsing next week and it will be the first chance to hear it with the 2 Club 121's in a band situation. Also I will be able to test it with my NSD electric upright.
I'd be interested to hear what you think about the Mullards :)
[/quote]

I shall let you know about the Mullards!

I've noticed on a few of the demo videos that people are running the input gain much lower than what is technically the optimum setting, presumably just so they can have a bit more "play" with the volume knob setting. I've certainly noticed that if I have the gain knob set just back from where the led comes on, I can only turn the amp up by the smallest amount before it's deafening!!!

I'm not sure if there's so much of an optimum setting for the input gain as much as, say , the LM2.

The TTE can sound full at relatively low volume in comparison to my Little Mark. The LM2 [i][u]had[/u][/i] to run just below clipping on the input gain and at least 9 o'clock on the Master to get the full tonal experience (which has been too loud for both of my current bands).
With the TTE I can use both Club 121 cabs, even at low volume, and still get a great sound.
Using the cabs with the LM2 was a bit of a disappointment because of the excessive lows but the TTE matches perfectly with the Club 121's and provides a controlled but full low end (it did this with the Ampeg 410HLF too and that has way too much bottom end for me normally).

I'd be scared to change the valves, even for vintage Mullards, as the TTE sounds so good with the JJ's already. If the sound is even better - wow!

So wanting this RJ, but I'll be waiting to see how much the 800W version is going to be? The only concern with that is the 500W version may be better because it might just be a wee bit warmer that the new class D version?

Why do they keep making my GAS so difficult eh?

[quote name='Tankdave' timestamp='1338488997' post='1675385']
So wanting this RJ, but I'll be waiting to see how much the 800W version is going to be? The only concern with that is the 500W version may be better because it might just be a wee bit warmer that the new class D version?

Why do they keep making my GAS so difficult eh?
[/quote]

The 500 is mahoosively loud, do you really need 300 more watts of class D? I say buy the 500.. there may even be bargains to be had.

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1338486574' post='1675346']
The TTE can sound full at relatively low volume in comparison to my Little Mark.

I'd be scared to change the valves, even for vintage Mullards, as the TTE sounds so good with the JJ's already. If the sound is even better - wow!
[/quote]

Agreed, I'm running my input gain passive and set between 10 and noon and it sounds full and warm, so nothing to worry about.

I know fitting Mullards really took my Ashdown LB30 to the next level, so maybe it'll do the same for the TTE. If not, I'm happy with the JJs (darn sight cheaper too!)

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1338579586' post='1676840']
That guitar amp has feet on the side?! Not sure I'd want to prop that up on it's end. :unsure:
[/quote]

Indeed, the TTE is so light I don't think standing it on its end would be wise at all.

[quote name='Tankdave' timestamp='1338585224' post='1676971']
Good point, do the valves have retaining clamps
[/quote]

Nope, as Opticaleye says, they are well secured in the sockets.

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1338586709' post='1677019']
Indeed, the TTE is so light I don't think standing it on its end would be wise at all.

Nope, as Opticaleye says, they are well secured in the sockets.
[/quote]

are the tubes user servicable in the TTE 500,or are they hardwired to the motherboard as in the case of the little mark tube?. I wonder how this head works with the markbass traveller cabs?.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1338661186' post='1677809']
are the tubes user servicable in the TTE 500,or are they hardwired to the motherboard as in the case of the little mark tube?. I wonder how this head works with the markbass traveller cabs?.
[/quote]

Not hardwired. The tubes are in sockets.
I can't stress enough that this head sounds unlike the Little Mark series and has much more in common with all-tube heads IMO.

I've not tried the TTE with Traveller cabs but I don't get the feeling that it would be that fussy about cabs. I've tried it with my Markbass Club 121's and also an Ampeg 410hlf and it sounded great with both.