Why become a member? ×

Markbass TTE 'Randy Jackson' head

lawriemacmillan

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1338680870' post='1678096']
Not hardwired. The tubes are in sockets.
I can't stress enough that this head sounds unlike the Little Mark series and has much more in common with all-tube heads IMO.

I've not tried the TTE with Traveller cabs but I don't get the feeling that it would be that fussy about cabs. I've tried it with my Markbass Club 121's and also an Ampeg 410hlf and it sounded great with both.
[/quote]

Thats good information. Feel the build up of GAS on this one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What are people thinking of these now? Honeymoon period over? :D
I was thinking about the TTE800, simply so I can have 500 watts into one cab, rather than say 350 into 8ohms that the TTE500 probably offers.

Anyone tried the 800's yet? any noticeable difference in tone?

Are these ok to be stored on their side? Tubes etc?

Thanks
Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1344230728' post='1761434']
What are people thinking of these now? Honeymoon period over? :D
I was thinking about the TTE800, simply so I can have 500 watts into one cab, rather than say 350 into 8ohms that the TTE500 probably offers.

Anyone tried the 800's yet? any noticeable difference in tone?

Are these ok to be stored on their side? Tubes etc?

Thanks
Si
[/quote]

Morning Si

I have to say, I am still loving mine!

I believe they are 300 watts at 8 ohms, but it's a very loud 8 ohms (I have yet to turn mine up beyond 9 o'clock, even at a gig!)

Haven't heard the digital 800 yet.

Tubes are well seated so I see no reason why it couldn't be stored on its side, but the amp is light and could be knocked over easily, so ideally tucked into a small space.

Cheers

Gareth

Oh it would be in a flight case of sorts, I mean for transporting more than at home.

I'm very interested in the 500-800 comparisons. I've currently got a Little Mark 2 and so i'm trying to get more headroom than that has into 8ohms

Si

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Nice one !

I haven't had the opportunity to play through on of these yet, but have noticed that they don't seem to have taken off in popularity as I thought they would. Those who have them seem to rave about them, but doesn't seem like the shops can shift them at all. Anyone any thoughts about this ?
Walbassist, I know you used to own a Spyder 550 (my current amp), how would you compare the TTE to it ?

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1361107836' post='1981096']
Nice one !

I haven't had the opportunity to play through on of these yet, but have noticed that they don't seem to have taken off in popularity as I thought they would. Those who have them seem to rave about them, but doesn't seem like the shops can shift them at all. Anyone any thoughts about this ?
Walbassist, I know you used to own a Spyder 550 (my current amp), how would you compare the TTE to it ?
[/quote]

My guess is that the TTE is not that popular because it's quite an expensive option for what is a fairly basic amp. While the core tone is lovely, the eq is very basic, which may well put people off.

I sold my Spyder after getting the TTE. I loved the Spyder tone, but I just felt the TTE was a touch more refined, plus I liked the tube-driven compressor and eq sections. It also looks super cool and is a good weight.

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1361115777' post='1981225']
My guess is that the TTE is not that popular because it's quite an expensive option for what is a fairly basic amp. While the core tone is lovely, the eq is very basic, which may well put people off.

I sold my Spyder after getting the TTE. I loved the Spyder tone, but I just felt the TTE was a touch more refined, plus I liked the tube-driven compressor and eq sections. It also looks super cool and is a good weight.
[/quote]

Cool, thanks.

The TTE does also overdrive a bit as well doesn't it ? It is nice and useable for that ? COuld you compare it's OD to anything else ?

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1361121291' post='1981360']
The TTE does also overdrive a bit as well doesn't it ? It is nice and useable for that ? COuld you compare it's OD to anything else ?
[/quote]

You can certainly overdrive it, but it's not something I have tried to do to any great extent. That said, varying the position of the gain knob can really change the tone coming from the amp, especially as it impacts on the compressor quite a bit.