Why become a member? ×

Markbass TTE 'Randy Jackson' head

lawriemacmillan

Hi all

I've just picked this amp up at Kenny's Music in Dunfermline - Scotland's only official Markbass stockist.
Has anyone got one yet? I'll be doing a club gig with it tomorrow night through my two Aguilar GS112s. I could do with a bit of user advice to see how the 'Colour' control (which I believe is like the VLE control found on other Markbass heads) affects the other controls, such as the EQ and the Compressor.

Lawrie

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1327695506' post='1515654']
Why not use an old trusted amp for the gig and tinker around with this at rehearsals.
[/quote]

Thanks I know what you mean, but our rehearsals are really for practicing new songs. I'll need to bring it on a gig to see how how it handles the increasing volume throughout the night, and the breadth of styles in the repertoire. Tonight will be the time to find out...

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1327742615' post='1516007']
I was in GAK a few months ago when a dude was returning one for not being loud enough. Think he went away with an Ampeg head (1200 watt jobbie?)

I thought it sounded great when they fired it up in the shop to test it.
[/quote]

I've learned not to get my hopes up too much...so many disappointments over the years!

The head [i]made[/i] my gig last night! Super tight midrange when required. Smooth top end (in that old Ampeg way). The 'Colour' control really brought out the Motown tones, especially with a touch of the Compressor, speaking of which, made the occasional slapped parts rich and 'spike'-free. Something I've had a problem with when using lightweight digital amps through my 12s.
I recommend trying one on a gig asap! Sweet talk your local dealer into letting it out the shop over a weekend.

Noooooooooo!!!!!

That sounds too good! Bugger.

[quote name='lawriemacmillan' timestamp='1327849635' post='1517600']
The head [i]made[/i] my gig last night! Super tight midrange when required. Smooth top end (in that old Ampeg way). The 'Colour' control really brought out the Motown tones, especially with a touch of the Compressor, speaking of which, made the occasional slapped parts rich and 'spike'-free. Something I've had a problem with when using lightweight digital amps through my 12s.
I recommend trying one on a gig asap! Sweet talk your local dealer into letting it out the shop over a weekend.
[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1337343950' post='1658489']

Your video helped me pull the trigger Dan!
[/quote]

Excellent! I'm really pleased! It was a joy to review that stack too.

I directly compared this one to a tonehammer 500, a puma 500, a EA micro, an lm tube and a TC rh 450.
I personally like the TTE500 best, directly followed by the tonehammer 500.

a great amp, congrats.

edit: I had forgotten: the reidmar was in the crowd, too. :blush:

Edited by the_krysh

• 2 weeks later...

I love this amp. I have another one of these Markbass Club 121's and they go really well together.
I've also paired it with an Ampeg 410HLF at a jam night and I had such a wide grin standing in the audience listening to the other bass players through it.
Rich and versatile with the depth and character of the better all-tube amps. I expected an easier solution to the LM2/ DHA VT1EQ I've been using - but it's so much more than that.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1338307834' post='1672495']
Did I hear that a second cab headed in your general direction as well?

If so, I bet the stack looks awesome!
[/quote]

You heard correct Barrie. It looks, and more importantly sounds, incredible!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1338314585' post='1672653']
I bet the 2x15's kill :)
[/quote]

Indeed, it's incredibly loud (not that I need that), the lows are full yet controlled, and the tweeter control and "colour" give a nice sheen to the sound to avoid any danger of mudiness. Very happy....

Mind you, the 1x12 cab stack looks a good option too!

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1338314912' post='1672656']
Indeed, it's incredibly loud (not that I need that), the lows are full yet controlled, and the tweeter control and "colour" give a nice sheen to the sound to avoid any danger of mudiness. Very happy....

Mind you, the 1x12 cab stack looks a good option too!
[/quote]

I always thought those 15's would work well as a pair. They can go pretty low on their own but they don't get 'boomy'. Running a 2nd one should fill the sound out nicely without it all becoming just low bass. I tried the pair of Bag End 15's when Phil had them & they sounded great. First time I've ever tried 2x15's together.