Why become a member? ×

Jamiroquai - Deeper Underground

TommyK

Thinking about doing this track in our band. What effect is he using on the Bass? Some sort of synthy type thing?

I have fiddled with a bit of octave/dist/filter and it sounds alright...ish..... but not really right, if you know what i mean...

Anyone play it in their band? What do you use?/ what would you use? (instrument wise, we only have 1 Guitar, drums and Me)

Edited by TommyK

Thanks for all the suggestions peoples, think perhaps i need to fiddle round with my MXR octaver and other stuff a bit more. If not the prunes & custard sounds good on youtube.... anyone got one they want to move on?

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1327682765' post='1515382']
I used to dial it in on the inbuilt effects on my line6 amp. Only bassline the Mrs regularly requested lol
[/quote]

Yes it is quite a hit with the ladies this one... :yarr: ;)

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1327759054' post='1516334']
Hmmm, I tried to attach an mp3 clip here of how I make it sound with the EHX but I always get a file with an .ipb extension showing instead, which doesn't play... any help?
[/quote]

Yeah I've found that too when I try to upload PDFs. Just attach it, and when it's downloaded at the other end, change the file extension to mp3 and it should work.

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1327782795' post='1516817']
Yeah I've found that too when I try to upload PDFs. Just attach it, and when it's downloaded at the other end, change the file extension to mp3 and it should work.
[/quote]

Nah, can't make it work no matter what, but thanks. You can listen to it here instead:
[url="http://www.filefreak.com/files/863646_eiweo/Deeper_underground.mp3"]Deeper_underground.mp3[/url]
The original doesn't sound like a square wave to me, so there's that difference in character, but other than that I'd say it's pretty close? This clip is just bass > EHX BMS > Logic 8. No amp or amp simulation, or EQ or any effect...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

Try Sound cloud! It's easy and free.

I was just mucking around with some of my pedals and came across this sound...I know it's not perfect but I think it would work well enough live: [url=http://soundcloud.com/higgie142/deeper-underground-bass]Deeper Underground[/url]

Edited by Higgie

When I listen to the record I hear a really compressed bass with virtually no attack and very little treble, and a synthy flavour mixed in, so I intentionally tried to get a quite squashed and muffled sound to try and get my bass to sound like the actual bass on the track, and then add my approximation of the synth sound over the top. I get what you mean about the tracking and fuzz, yours does sound great, but I think it sounds a little too "focused" (really struggling for a better word to describe it...a bit too "concise" maybe).

I had my TLC set quite squashy, into the Cream Pie for a little bit of edge. The Aguilar Octamizer with the clean tone all the way down to get a fat wooly sound, and the octave tone set about 1 o'clock (just to the synthier, rather than fatter, side of the tone control) into the X-Blender which has a BYOC Swollen Pickle clone and Subdecay Proteus in the loop.

I think by focused you mean it's a bit too sharp, I think it's the lack of an amp and head in this recording, because when I play this in practice or a gig the amp adds roundness and bass and it sounds huge!

In the original most of the synthiness comes from the keys I believe (including that little hammer-on and pull off on the G note which the bass doesn't do but the keys and I think the guitar do)... I think when they play live the bass is clean but I'm not 100% sure.

Sharp! Yes exactly what I was getting at. And I can definitely see how a lack of a bass amp could hinder the tone. Mine was recorded straight into Logic without any post production too, but I did have compression and a few bits of eq/tone shaping coming from other pedals along the way.

Valid point about the keys - that's what I was trying to get at, in that I was more trying to emulate the actual bass part than replicate the keys. I'm gonna try to get a better sound this evening and record it - try to get something that accurately covers both the bass tone AND the synth sound at once.

I keep hitting a similar kind of sound with one of the presets on my Eventide Pitchfactor. It's a kind if synth-wah setting that really sounds awesome.

Of course, there are cheaper routes than a Pitchfactor.
All together now 'I'm going cheaper underground.........'

Ok that was bad! :)