Why become a member? ×

Jens Ritter has a word with chinese copy guy....

bubinga5

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327441916' post='1511404']
He played that totally cool. Imitation is the best form of flattery, BUT this is a business.
[/quote]

Does that mean Jens was flattering the German press? :P

That was very good, I'm not a fan of a lot of his stuff but he dares to be different, I respect that.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1327442561' post='1511420']
Does that mean Jens was flattering the German press? :P

That was very good, I'm not a fan of a lot of his stuff but he dares to be different, I respect that.
[/quote]

Haha...well, its kinda cool that anyone would copy something you do/make/etc (it obviously means its quite good!), but obviously this is different.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1327446738' post='1511542']
Thats exactly what pisses me off.

If he was that worried he would have the designs protected. Then he could have done a John Hall and walked into NAMM with cease and desist letters and had the law to back him up. Even the organisers. Those instruments would not be allowed on U.S or European soil with the right protections.

The fact he didn't and played some sort of drama class instead makes me think he knows fine rightly whats going on.
[/quote]

Reckon those Chinese guys would make me a Simpsons bass?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1327446861' post='1511544']
Reckon those Chinese guys would make me a Simpsons bass?
[/quote]
seen the credits of the simpsons? ask the right people and the team that draws the real programme could paint your bass for you!

Are there any hugely popular Guitar/Bass designs that haven't been copied? It's bound to happen. I didn't get the impression that he was massively annoyed about it and just seemed to take advantage of the situation to poke some fun at the people copying his designs. I think, by the end, he looked a little angry just because of the slimy way the sales person conducted himself. And, for that, I don't blame him. That's the feeling I got from watching that clip anyway. Though, I am assuming that he didn't go to that show purely to expose them.

FTR, you can't copyright an object.

Copyright exists in the [i]drawings[/i] for that object, as it does in any other creative work. It doesn't matter what's on the drawing, original or not. Therefore, if a Chinese copyist company created Engineering drawings of a Ritter (or any other) bass then the Chinese company would own the copyright to that drawing. Sounds odd, I know, but that's how it works. A similar analogy is the copyright protection afforded to [i]recordings[/i] of cover versions of songs.

Products are protected by [url="http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/design/d-about/d-designright/d-designright-get.htm"]Design Right[/url]. This works in a similar way to copyright but it is separate IP. AFAIK, Design Right is a fairly recent development.

Of course, this only applies if the Chinese recognise international laws on the protection of IP. I'm not sure about that bit.

HTH :).

Fender have never really attempted to protect their designs and as mentioned on the previous post it's complicated to do. Fender didn't do anything for long enough that especially due to being the first to make a lot of the instruments their designs became ubiquitous with just an electric guitar or bass rather than to a specific brand. If you ask someone who knows literally nothing about guitars to draw an electric guitar they'll probably draw a strat or something very close. Once it's become that common knowledge it's pretty well impossible to protect.

I'm also unaware of exactly what IP protection consists of in China, other than the old copyright means I have the right to copy correct?! In all seriousness there are laws in place for copyright etc but they're generally ignored by the majority of manufacturers anyway.