Why become a member? ×

Anyone play Immigrant Song?

norvegicusbass

Am I playing Immigrant Song wrong? After the beginning where it begins the main heavy riff I play E F# F# F# ( octave F# ) F# then repeat. It sounds close enough to the original song but my main concern has to do with my right hand. I use two fingers my middle and index but I am sure I am not playing it very economically ( although it feels comfortable enough ). I sort of play the open E ( index ) F# ( middle ) F# (index) F# (middle ) then I pluck the octave F# on the D string with my index and the next F# on the E string also with my index and back to the open E with my index as well. Three index fingering in a row! Doubt this breaks any laws but I am sure its not the way it should be played just dont quite know how I fell into it. I sort of strafe from the D string back to the E and avoiding the A string. Anyone else play it this way?

I usually play the line leading with middle finger on right hand. Firstly because the first note is a leading note so the beat then falls on the index finger, and secondly because you can do a 21 21[u]2[/u]1 | 21 21[u]2[/u]1 | 21 21[u]2[/u]1 pattern, with the [u]2[/u] being the octave F#. this leaves loads of space around the notes making it easy to keep the groove super tight with the drums.

Saying that, do whatever seems comfortable to you, and if its good enough for JPJ then who am I to argue :)

[quote name='SteveO' timestamp='1327346083' post='1509738']
I usually play the line leading with middle finger on right hand. Firstly because the first note is a leading note so the beat then falls on the index finger, and secondly because you can do a 21 21[u]2[/u]1 | 21 21[u]2[/u]1 | 21 21[u]2[/u]1 pattern, with the [u]2[/u] being the octave F#. this leaves loads of space around the notes making it easy to keep the groove super tight with the drums.

Saying that, do whatever seems comfortable to you, and if its good enough for JPJ then who am I to argue :)
[/quote]
Cheers for your answer. Yeah your'e way seems to be the way I would do it if I wrote it down or had it my head before my fingers take over but soon as they do it seems to feel natural to play it my way ( maybe I am freaky ). I am sure the other poster was just joshing when he said JPJ plays it that way if he was serious then I am well chuffed

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1327354000' post='1509954']
I wasn't taking the ...... I've watched a few live videos in my time (Yes-Videos. I'm that old) and he played it the same way a few times. B) Nip over to youtube and check a few out, if you don't believe iz, me old mucker. ;)
[/quote] Cushty I'll do that. I always asumed he played this with a pick but then Geordies cant tell a lie so I believe you :) And I am old enough to have watched videos as well.

Edited by norvegicusbass