Why become a member? ×

Ampeg quandry

artisan

mid gig last saturday my GK 1001RB-11 decided to pack in (along with mucho burnt electrical odours :) ) which really pissed me off no end :huh: ,its only just 2 years old & has only done 20 gigs or so.(i use a combo for practice)
so its in for repair, but as i no longer have much confidence in it i'm thinking of buying an Ampeg head.
so my quandry is do i get an SVT3PRO or an SVT450H,as both seem to be a similar price.
I'm after a nice classic tube amp sound but don't have enough dosh for a real one-bugger-
none of my local shops have these in stock so i'll probably have to mail order it,any advice on which will give me the closest to a vintage tube sound ?

BTW i'll be playing a MIA 62 reissue P bass & using my GK 115SBX-11 cab (8ohm)

cheers Neil.

[quote name='artisan' post='169089' date='Apr 3 2008, 01:36 PM']mid gig last saturday my GK 1001RB-11 decided to pack in (along with mucho burnt electrical odours :) ) which really pissed me off no end :huh: ,its only just 2 years old & has only done 20 gigs or so.(i use a combo for practice)
so its in for repair, but as i no longer have much confidence in it i'm thinking of buying an Ampeg head.
so my quandry is do i get an SVT3PRO or an SVT450H,as both seem to be a similar price.
I'm after a nice classic tube amp sound but don't have enough dosh for a real one-bugger-
none of my local shops have these in stock so i'll probably have to mail order it,any advice on which will give me the closest to a vintage tube sound ?[/quote]
Didn't a batch of these amps have a transformer problem? When it's fixed it should be OK. I've got an Ampeg SVT-3 PRO and it's been great for the last 9 years, but I think you need to choose the cabs very carefully. It works really well with Mesa Boogie cabs but doesn't sound so good with either Epifani or Aguilar cabs. It was OK with Ampeg cabs, but wasn't my kind of sound.

[quote name='Tee' post='169104' date='Apr 3 2008, 01:53 PM']I reckon go for the SVT3PRO. I'd say the 450 was more like a B2RE trying to look like a Classic.[/quote]

I reckon that's spot on. Both are 450W solid state amps. At least the svt has a tube pre.

[quote name='andy67' post='169200' date='Apr 3 2008, 03:35 PM']Delighted with my svt3pro - the pre/power tubes make such a difference.[/quote]

fwiw the SVT3 pro is a SVP Pro valve preamp with a 450W solid state power amp hanging off its output.

Might be better off finding a SVP Pro and getting a ss power amp elsewhere, would probably be cheaper and a bit more versatile. I used a SVP with a 400+400 power amp and it sounded damn fine.

thanks for the replies guys,looks like an SVT3PRO then :)

what do you rekon to this one on the bay
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMPEG-SVT-3-PRO-Bass-Amplifier-Head-under-1-year-old_W0QQitemZ290217685127QQihZ019QQcategoryZ58719QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMPEG-SVT-3-PRO-Bass...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

i'm a tad concerned about the modification its had.
also what's it worth-i know whenever i've sold amps before i,ve struggled to get even half the price i paid new.so it seems it might be a bit dear to me.
cheers.

[quote name='artisan' post='169348' date='Apr 3 2008, 06:58 PM']i'm a tad concerned about the modification its had.
also what's it worth-i know whenever i've sold amps before i,ve struggled to get even half the price i paid new.so it seems it might be a bit dear to me.[/quote]
You might feel comfortable with this, but I wouldn't touch anything electrical that has been modified by someone I didn't know.

[quote name='artisan' post='169348' date='Apr 3 2008, 06:58 PM']thanks for the replies guys,looks like an SVT3PRO then :)

what do you rekon to this one on the bay
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMPEG-SVT-3-PRO-Bass-Amplifier-Head-under-1-year-old_W0QQitemZ290217685127QQihZ019QQcategoryZ58719QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMPEG-SVT-3-PRO-Bass...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

i'm a tad concerned about the modification its had.
also what's it worth-i know whenever i've sold amps before i,ve struggled to get even half the price i paid new.so it seems it might be a bit dear to me.
cheers.[/quote]

I was looking into svt3pros a while back - they go for about £350-£400. If you're concerned about the resale value, I'd seek out a US made one.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the mod that one has had - so long as it's been done properly it'll be fine - it's just a transformer swap out I think. Better that's done rather that having to lug about an extra transformer on top.

[quote name='chris_b' post='169357' date='Apr 3 2008, 07:27 PM']You might feel comfortable with this, but I wouldn't touch anything electrical that has been modified by someone I didn't know.[/quote]

That approach does have some merit though! (although most of the people I know, I wouldn't let near anything electrical)

[quote name='bigjohn' post='169364' date='Apr 3 2008, 07:32 PM']That approach does have some merit though! (although most of the people I know, I wouldn't let near anything electrical)[/quote]
An electrician friend of mine's wife didn't allow him to rewire his own house, for the same reason!!!

[quote name='chris_b' post='169116' date='Apr 3 2008, 02:02 PM']I've got an Ampeg SVT-3 PRO and it's been great for the last 9 years, but I think you need to choose the cabs very carefully. It works really well with Mesa Boogie cabs[/quote]

Amen to that..... my SVT-3 Pro sounds immense with my Mesa 2x15EV! :)

Highly underestimated amp..... but be aware that some of the knobs work in the reverse way to you would expect!

[quote name='andy67' post='170393' date='Apr 5 2008, 07:13 PM']I have a b410hlf 4ohm 450watt cab in new condition for sale..£300, works incredibly well with the 3pro.

andy[/quote]

cheers-if i can raise any cash i may just but that of you-thanks