Why become a member? ×

Dirty banjo habit

Len_derby

[quote name='GregHughes' timestamp='1333091028' post='1597084']
The banjo keep calling to me. How easy are they to play after 4 string bass? Very tempted to pick up a cheap one and give it a go.
[/quote]

Depends what you get. There are several types. 5-string is probably the hardest but also the one to have if you're after that proper Bluegrass sound IMHO. 6-string is, I would say, more like a guitar with a banjo sound. 4-string is more of a strumming instrument (by design at least) - commonly used in (for example) dixieland jazz bands. I don't know much about bass banjos, but others here clearly do.

I think I've got that right. If I haven't then somebody is sure to correct me.

Well here's my contribution to the thread a 5 string Ozark Banjo - have had this for around 3 years, learned a few basics - but them darn frets is fiddly!

Greg, whereabouts in the shire are you based?

Tempted?

It's in really nice condition and has a gig bag! shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Pete

[quote name='GregHughes' timestamp='1333095235' post='1597151']
5 String is what I've been looking at. I think that would be what I would get as would prefer to learn the one which is going to give the sound I want.

Anyone recommend a good entry level model to get me started?
[/quote]

Try this site. [url="http://www.andybanjo.com/index.html"]http://www.andybanjo.com/index.html[/url]
A good 'advice' section with info on different types of banjo.
I bought mine from there. I went for a 4-string with 'Chicago' tuning. DGBE. as on the top 4 strings of as guitar.

Edited by Len_derby

The man who defined the sound of the modern 5-string banjo, Earl Scruggs, has died. He was one of the very few musicians who actually changed the way an instrument was played and heard. Good article (written before his death) here [url="http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/01/steve-martin-earl-scruggs.html"]http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/01/steve-martin-earl-scruggs.html[/url]

Steve

PS Yes it is written by that Steve Martin, the comedian, he happens to be a very good banjo picker.

• 3 months later...

After several months of faffing around and having to put the banjo on the back burner because of bass commitments I finally did the first gig on it.
Just me and a fiddle player I've played with for years on instruments plus. a couple of singers. Great fun. I don't know why I waited so long!
Afterwards an elderly couple tried to engage me in a nostalgic conversation about the Black and White Minstrel Show. Apparently it's 'such a shame' it isn't on the tele anymore. :huh:

Here are my 2 5-strings. The one on the left is a Tanglewood ebay bargain, the one on the right is a Windsor Premier probably from the 1920's which I've had for a few years, it's set up for old-time and frailing.

[IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/cr0ut0n/2012-07-22151719.jpg[/IMG]

• 1 month later...

Those old Harmony banjos and Sovereign guitars from the '60s and '70s were pretty good quality if you ask me. A decent find.

Just had a so-so experience with Hobgoblin in Milton Keynes. I live a long way from all the Hobgoblin shops, so I was going to take advantage of a rare meeting in MK to check whether my Tanglewood will fit in an Ashbury hard case. I ran HG on Tuesday, gave them their own stock number, and was assured that they have one in stock. When I arrived yesterday it turns out they didn't, clearly hadn't checked when I rang, and offered me a second-hand case for a Seeger style longarm that clearly didn't fit. At least I didn't make a huge detour to get to the shop, but I was a bit miffed. What more can one do?

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1347093237' post='1796833']
Those old Harmony banjos and Sovereign guitars from the '60s and '70s were pretty good quality if you ask me. A decent find.

Just had a so-so experience with Hobgoblin in Milton Keynes. I live a long way from all the Hobgoblin shops, so I was going to take advantage of a rare meeting in MK to check whether my Tanglewood will fit in an Ashbury hard case. I ran HG on Tuesday, gave them their own stock number, and was assured that they have one in stock. When I arrived yesterday it turns out they didn't, clearly hadn't checked when I rang, and offered me a second-hand case for a Seeger style longarm that clearly didn't fit. At least I didn't make a huge detour to get to the shop, but I was a bit miffed. What more can one do?
[/quote]

You may have tried this route, but I've got a very study soft bag for my 4-string banjo made by Tom and Will. I got mine through Amazon and they've currently got a 5-string bag for £35.
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tomandwill-66BJ-String-Banjo-Gig/dp/B003XJKXSY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1347099180&sr=8-3-fkmr0"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tomandwill-66BJ-String-Banjo-Gig/dp/B003XJKXSY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1347099180&sr=8-3-fkmr0[/url]

[quote name='steve' timestamp='1347014943' post='1795974']
just bought a banjo last night, after hankering for one for ages, Its a 60's or 70's Harmony, dunno if it's any good but it's great fun trying to work out Foggy Mountain Breakdown
[/quote]

Brilliant, well done. It's amazing what reactions you get from people (even if you've known for years) when they find out you've become a Banjoid. ;) :D

• 7 months later...

Has anyone got any experience or advice to share about pickups for banjos?
Up 'till now I've been playing 'unplugged' or placing a mic near to the strings. Ideally I'd like some sort of pickup device I could DI or plug into an amp.

I've tried a few pickups with varying degrees of success. Contact mikes attached to the vellum don't work very well in my experience.

So far I've not found personally found anything that gives a decent signal without a pre-amp. I have a Shadow bridge pickup on the Tenor, which works well with a pre-amp but does make the rest of the banjo very live: if you play with your fingers on the head you get a percussive 'pop' along with the note.

I have a Tesla pickup on the 5-string. It fits inside the banjo clamped to the rods, and the transducer bit goes under the head. I find I get much better results with the pickup actually touching the head, under the bridge, but it does compromise the acoustic sound. This sounds really good and produces a decent signal with a pre-amp, and wasn't too expensive. Be aware though that if your tensioning rods are a long way from the head, the pickup might not reach all the way.

With both of these I use the Behringer AD121 Acoustic Guitar pre-amp which works well, certainly well enough that I wouldn't consider spending 100 quid on a Fishman pre-amp.

The other banjo player in the band uses a Schatten passive pickup, which does seem to give out a really big signal. It's the next thing on my list to try, although it's quite expensive. He tried one of the Goldtone electric banjos, but sent it back straight away - it sounds like a jazz guitar, not a banjo tone at all.

It could be because I'm too mean to spend real money!

The other thing to bear in mind is that I'm trying to amplify the banjo to be loud enough in a very loud punk-folk band with a heavy-handed drummer. If you're not looking for the same levels of volume, you might find more things will work for you.

• 8 months later...

Pleased to see this thread, as I bought BCer Steve's 5-string in December.

Can't play it at all, I find the different intervals very hard (tuning gDGBD). Hmm... I may yet tune it aEADG :o - if I can get strings to do it, I think that might break the standard ones.

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='Fab58' timestamp='1388819671' post='2326392']
I play Clawhammer style and am just starting to get into 2 finger thumb lead. I'm not fantastic but at the stage where I need to find other folks to play with.
[/quote]

I don't know where you're based, but trying out the local folk clubs is one suggestion. Most seem to operate 'open mic' type sessions, where anyone can join in.
Alternatively, are you in a band already?
I persuaded my band mates to let me play banjo on a couple of numbers and they've now become a fixed part of the set. We're a blues/roots band. Be prepared for some resistance - no one seems to have a neutral response to the banjo.

Wandering off, Mrs Len bought me Guy Davis's latest CD for Christmas. Called 'Juba Dance'. Some superb banjo work, particularly on a storming version of 'See that my grave is kept clean'.

• 1 year later...

I have now gone over to the dark side, well halfway in the eyes of some banjo players.

I am now the proud owner of a 1930's shortscale tenor banjo. Strange as it seems playing bass and double bass is great training for playing one of these as I'm already used to using the little finger on my left hand for fretting which makes life a lot easier.

Currently tuned to standard tenor (CGDA) but I'll probably swap to Irish tuning (GDAE) so that the fingering mimics my mandolin.

Right hand triplets are a fun learning experience.

Steve

I have a short-scale tenor too, mine is an old Concertone open-back. Apparently these were made by Slingerland. I have mine in GDAE tuning, mostly because I already played mandolin and octave mandola and it makes everything more transferrable.
Actually it's been a while since I've played mine and I keep thinking about selling it, but my wife won't let me because she likes it!

• 1 month later...

The Ozark instruments can be nice quality at a good price. I've got a couple of banjos, a 5-string Epiphone and a Gold Tone EBT 5-string solid body electric. The Gold Tone was from Andy Banjo (as was my acoustic mandolin) and he's a very genuine helpful guy who doesn't charge silly prices. A rare thing! Ask him for advice, you will get good info and he may have something off the shelf for you as well.
Noticed the bass banjo posts here - my previous band supported Abigail Washburn a year or two ago and she has a very low register 5 string for clawhammer style. Sounds amazing!

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1388854720' post='2326921']
Pleased to see this thread, as I bought BCer Steve's 5-string in December.

Can't play it at all, I find the different intervals very hard (tuning gDGBD). Hmm... I may yet tune it aEADG :o - if I can get strings to do it, I think that might break the standard ones.
[/quote]

I need to retrieve it from my guitarist's music-shed first...