Why become a member? ×

How do you show civilians the true potential of the bass without appearing to be a flash twonk?

OldGit

[quote name='greyparrot' post='169463' date='Apr 3 2008, 09:38 PM']i take it you belive a bassist should not have his turn to do his bit at a gig then?[/quote]

Well, current plan is I do the first part whole gig, but I only do the holding the bass aloft when I want to show off.

Bloody hell, never knew you lot were such a conservative bunch. :huh:

My party pieces are bass versions of Stairway To Heaven, Under The Bridge and (for the more discerning listener) Con Te Partiro. I'm also not adverse to pulling out the thumb for a quick slap-tastic bit of Mr. Pink, Tommy The Cat or Nobody Weird Like Me, or just quoting bits of well-known basslines from the likes of Disco Inferno, Le Freak, and for the rock types out there, Schism or Anesthesia. But these are occasional bits of fun - 95% of the time, I want my basslines to do the talking in a band context. I do spend a lot of time and effort on my tone though - although I don't always want to be upfront, I do want a well-defined, present bass tone so that even the simple stuff can't go unnoticed.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of showbiz and showboating, and if the guitarist can do it, then I bloody well can too. Just don't do it all the time. :)

[quote name='Russ' post='169600' date='Apr 4 2008, 05:07 AM']Bloody hell, never knew you lot were such a conservative bunch. :huh:

My party pieces are bass versions of Stairway To Heaven, Under The Bridge and (for the more discerning listener) Con Te Partiro. I'm also not adverse to pulling out the thumb for a quick slap-tastic bit of Mr. Pink, Tommy The Cat or Nobody Weird Like Me, or just quoting bits of well-known basslines from the likes of Disco Inferno, Le Freak, and for the rock types out there, Schism or Anesthesia. But these are occasional bits of fun - 95% of the time, I want my basslines to do the talking in a band context. I do spend a lot of time and effort on my tone though - although I don't always want to be upfront, I do want a well-defined, present bass tone so that even the simple stuff can't go unnoticed.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of showbiz and showboating, and if the guitarist can do it, then I bloody well can too. Just don't do it all the time. :)[/quote]

well said. Mine are we do chic stuff, and the bass lines are cool on there own but in le freak and good times i play stanly clark type solos, which seem to go down well! and some slapping in car wash, and mustang sally too! To be honest i have no set thing, just play how and what i feel on the night.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='169292' date='Apr 3 2008, 05:14 PM']Never understood loopers. Why not get a band?[/quote]

Cheaper (mostly, Steve Lawson's probably aren't), more controllable, drink less beer, turn up on time, don't argue, play the right notes, no ego, don't stand in front of the bass player etc etc etc

If someone at a party asked me to play something on bass the first thing I'd say is "You have a bass?" :)

Then I might get them to stamp their foot on the one and clap on the two and the four. Then I'd just do a noodley little groove thing. After they got bored of that I'd give them what they really want and play Stand By Me and ask them to sing along.

At gigs I'll piss around with some flashy stuff at the end of the set if the rest of the gig went well. The other guys'll go nuts over and around it too. That can be fun if you're in the mood. The audience are impressed by it when it's good and not samey noodling.

Play anything fast and you'll be surprised who finds it impressive - even seasoned musicians who should know better.

"Fever" if it's a fretless.

The end bit of "Chain" or bass line from "Summer lovin'" for fretted.

Unless I'm feeling in that kind of mood, when it'll be Toccata and Fugue in Dm, BWV 565 (not 566, which is another T&F in Dm but not the famous one).

[quote name='geilerbass' post='168921' date='Apr 3 2008, 10:43 AM']The only solo(ish) piece I've ever learnt to the point that I can always play it, is the Dune Tune, by Level 42. I'll play that if pushed, but usually when people say "play something" I'll just play a bass line from one of my band's tunes.[/quote]

is there such a thing as a tab chart for dune tune?
Id love to get my hands on it!
Matt