Why become a member? ×

How do you show civilians the true potential of the bass without appearing to be a flash twonk?

OldGit

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='169292' date='Apr 3 2008, 05:14 PM']Keeping to topic, I usually just play a few instantly recognisable lines and then put the bass back down. People who don't play bass don't want to hear something technically great that they've never heard before. They want to hear The Chain, Money, that White Stripes song (yes I know its not a bass, but non-players swear it is), Peaches etc.[/quote]

Add the intro to 'Play That Funky Music' to the list of non-bass lines people request.

I think flashy twonkness usually fails to show civilians the true potential of the bass and instead shows the potential of attention seeking bassists to undermine a fine, powerful and subtle instrument in the hope of being noticed.

If in the process of laying it down like a bad mofo you happen to come across one of those bass moments that not only gets the party started but also shouts "look at me, I'm not just the subconsious sonic glue that makes you move" then that's groovy but trying to force noticeable playing into an unsuitable context is not hip.

For years I've been on a mission to get my basslines less noticed in favour of the songs being appreciated, which is surprisingly challenging when you're writing the material on bass. Play it cool Trig, play it cool.

Alex

[quote name='OldGit' post='169281' date='Apr 3 2008, 05:04 PM']I don't think you can compare a drum solo (even Buddy Rich at his peak) with the stuff that Steve Lawson does, as an extreme example, and the bass can play tunes... Solo works for cello can be very moving.[/quote]

Have you ever seen level 42 live? at the end of a gig the crowd beg for his flashy bass solos, and tell me, is it him being flash, or him giving the crowd what they want? to see a master play his instrument! even if he is flash, who cares, its great!!

I think its not what is played, but the intention and energy that the guy playing is delivering his bit, and people can sense if your being flash, or doing it to entertain. People in my experiance do care, and appriciate good playing, and when you see everyone having a great time, we are doing our job. Thats the way i see it.

[quote name='greyparrot' post='169455' date='Apr 3 2008, 09:23 PM']Have you ever seen level 42 live? at the end of a gig the crowd beg for his flashy bass solos, and tell me, is it him being flash, or him giving the crowd what they want? to see a master play his instrument! even if he is flash, who cares, its great!!

I think its not what is played, but the intention and energy that the guy playing is delivering his bit, and people can sense if your being flash, or doing it to entertain. People in my experiance do care, and appriciate good playing, and when you see everyone having a great time, we are doing our job. Thats the way i see it.[/quote]
this is an obvious exception, re: my earlier post.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='169458' date='Apr 3 2008, 09:28 PM']this is an obvious exception, re: my earlier post.[/quote]

all due respect i dont think there are any exeptions, music is music and the punter has the choice to stay or go, and unless a guy is going mad on his bass, i think the odd flash bass part is as good as the 22 guitar solos in a gig!!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='169462' date='Apr 3 2008, 09:35 PM']Drop your d-tuner, kick on all your fx, and feed back horribly at a very low note whilst running in circles holding your bass aloft by the body.[/quote]

i take it you belive a bassist should not have his turn to do his bit at a gig then?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='169475' date='Apr 3 2008, 09:55 PM']He spends the whole gig doing his bit!

Alex[/quote]

Agreed but a Bit as in solo. hmmm so im starting to think the veiw to be upfront about what we do with regard to a solo spot is not cool? Why please?

[quote name='greyparrot' post='169477' date='Apr 3 2008, 10:02 PM']Agreed but a Bit as in solo. hmmm so im starting to think the veiw to be upfront about what we do with regard to a solo spot is not cool? Why please?[/quote]
If it's appropriate and sounds cool, why not? But then, it rarely is appropriate and even in such situations, few bassists have the technical ability/taste to make a solo sound cool...
If you're playing for a bunch of non-musos, there is pretty much no point in showing off just what you can do, because the fact is that you're playing bass and they're not so you already have one up on them (admittedly there may well be some guitarists who think they can play bass in the audience and they probably will appreciate some flash wizardry, but that'll just make us look like wannabe guitarists, and if you're a wannabe guitarist, just get a bloody guitar and stop pretending you're a bassist who likes to do things differently*)
If you're playing for someone who will actually appreciate your musicianship, taste is still a bigger part of that than technical virtuosity, so just don't get carried away
Personally I think my bass lines are interesting enough that I'm showing the audience that the bass has a bit more potential than just to thud along the root notes, but that's not what I aim for; I just aim to make the music sound as good as possible! If you think you can't express the potential of your playing without straying beyond the bounds of appropriateness... you're wrong! Because your potential is clearly limited by your inability to fit something impressive into the right situation

*In contrast to what I've just said, I have no problem with bassists doing things differently, even if that includes playing the bass like it's a guitar, but in your standard gig, the bass should be playing the bass parts

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='169488' date='Apr 3 2008, 10:25 PM']If it's appropriate and sounds cool, why not? But then, it rarely is appropriate and even in such situations, few bassists have the technical ability/taste to make a solo sound cool...
If you're playing for a bunch of non-musos, there is pretty much no point in showing off just what you can do, because the fact is that you're playing bass and they're not so you already have one up on them (admittedly there may well be some guitarists who think they can play bass in the audience and they probably will appreciate some flash wizardry, but that'll just make us look like wannabe guitarists, and if you're a wannabe guitarist, just get a bloody guitar and stop pretending you're a bassist who likes to do things differently*)
If you're playing for someone who will actually appreciate your musicianship, taste is still a bigger part of that than technical virtuosity, so just don't get carried away
Personally I think my bass lines are interesting enough that I'm showing the audience that the bass has a bit more potential than just to thud along the root notes, but that's not what I aim for; I just aim to make the music sound as good as possible! If you think you can't express the potential of your playing without straying beyond the bounds of appropriateness... you're wrong! Because your potential is clearly limited by your inability to fit something impressive into the right situation

*In contrast to what I've just said, I have no problem with bassists doing things differently, even if that includes playing the bass like it's a guitar, but in your standard gig, the bass should be playing the bass parts[/quote]

come on a bass player is a bassist and a guitar a guitarist. I think live and let live, Like Donold duck dunn said ''if the sh*t fits wear it'' Iv been playing pro for 10 years, and in every gig do at least one spot.....im still paying the morgage playing bass, and doing the odd solo that punters i can tell you do love! I know i do it. But yes first and formost, we are bass players, but im one that enjoys a solo or two! call me what you like, im having fun!! ha ha

Edited by greyparrot

[quote name='greyparrot' post='169494' date='Apr 3 2008, 10:30 PM']come on a bass player is a bassist and a guitar a guitarist. I think live and let live, Like Donold duck dunn said ''if the sh*t fits wear it'' Iv been playing pro for 10 years, and in every gig do at least one spot.....im still paying the morgage playing bass, and doing the odd solo that punters i can tell you do love! I know i do it. But yes first and formost, we are bass players, but im one that enjoys a solo or two! call me what you like, im having fun!! ha ha[/quote]
Quite so - you've got a situation where a bass solo is appropriate, which is great; what I meant was that you shouldn't try to force the punters the appreciate "the true potential of the bass" if they're not gonna be interested... then again, I think that very idea is pointless - Steve Lawson has shown that the true potential of the bass is limitless!

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='169507' date='Apr 3 2008, 10:47 PM']Quite so - you've got a situation where a bass solo is appropriate, which is great; what I meant was that you shouldn't try to force the punters the appreciate "the true potential of the bass" if they're not gonna be interested... then again, I think that very idea is pointless - Steve Lawson has shown that the true potential of the bass is limitless![/quote]

Agreed mate. There is always a time and a place for everything in music, life whatever.

Despite the impression some of you might have - post-Bash - of my playing I always plays play for the gig, or song or whatever - If I'm playing to please myself then fine - but if my band expects me to play a bassline with no bull***t in there then I'm happy sitting in the pocket - and yes I've played weddings and functions and yes I agree bass solo/features in those situations- aside from the bass beak in Carwash - are pretty much uncalled for.

At one point I had learned and could play stuff like Classical Thump (so boring) and tap 'Overjoyed' etc - but now I'm more concerned with playing good notes in time... and getting the band grooving with the drummer - I find that as much if not more fun than soloing, which on a good day I find enjoyable - but on a bad day incredibly stressful!

As for bass features in general I don't mind them if they fit the mood of the gig - even playing (yes folks I'm saying the 'j' word) jazz actually means locking down the changes with a rock solid time feel etc and as a bass player in jazz is actually (mostly) about being the coherent one while everyone else goes off on one - it's great fun but that's where the work is - soloing after that is easy cos you can get away with one note per bar instead of 4 or 8...

Right, that's enough crap from me - someone else take over... :)

M

[quote name='greyparrot' post='169460' date='Apr 3 2008, 09:34 PM']all due respect i dont think there are any exeptions, music is music and the punter has the choice to stay or go, and unless a guy is going mad on his bass, i think the odd flash bass part is as good as the 22 guitar solos in a gig!![/quote]
due respect accepted, but I think you've missed my point. The exception I was refering to means that I agree with you.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='urb' post='169513' date='Apr 3 2008, 10:57 PM']Despite the impression some of you might have - post-Bash - of my playing I always plays play for the gig, or song or whatever - If I'm playing to please myself then fine - but if my band expects me to play a bassline with no bull***t in there then I'm happy sitting in the pocket - and yes I've played weddings and functions and yes I agree bass solo/features in those situations- aside from the bass beak in Carwash - are pretty much uncalled for.

At one point I had learned and could play stuff like Classical Thump (so boring) and tap 'Overjoyed' etc - but now I'm more concerned with playing good notes in time... and getting the band grooving with the drummer - I find that as much if not more fun than soloing, which on a good day I find enjoyable - but on a bad day incredibly stressful!

As for bass features in general I don't mind them if they fit the mood of the gig - even playing (yes folks I'm saying the 'j' word) jazz actually means locking down the changes with a rock solid time feel etc and as a bass player in jazz is actually (mostly) about being the coherent one while everyone else goes off on one - it's great fun but that's where the work is - soloing after that is easy cos you can get away with one note per bar instead of 4 or 8...

Right, that's enough crap from me - someone else take over... :)

M[/quote]

HA ha nice one, and nice bass!

[quote name='jakesbass' post='169518' date='Apr 3 2008, 11:02 PM']I don't wish to stop this but the OP was about party pieces, and seeing as how there are some more people posting than earlier. What do our current crop of posters use as party pieces?[/quote]
Well, I would play the chorus from a particular one of my bands songs, coz it uses all 5 strings and I happen to think it's particularly groovy, without being unnecessarily showy! I haven't learned anything at all for the purpose of showing off - maybe I should?