Why become a member? ×

Marshall Full Stack

ReeV0

[quote name='jjl5590' post='170459' date='Apr 5 2008, 09:44 PM']sorry! lol all im saying is i dont want second hand stuff...

sorry if i offended u[/quote]
nothing wrong with second hand stuff, and your much better getting a decent half stack then getting a not so good full stack and wanting to upgrade it in a year or so

[quote name='umph' post='170621' date='Apr 6 2008, 11:28 AM']nothing wrong with second hand stuff, and your much better getting a decent half stack then getting a not so good full stack and wanting to upgrade it in a year or so[/quote]
+1. And we've all been there. Haha.

In three years I've gone from Fender > Hartke > Warwick and now Trace.

The problem I find is that you never know what an amp is really like until you gig it against a drummer. Amps that sound warm and creamy in the shop at low level sound way different in that pub with Keith Moon flailing away next to you.

If you're buying budget and want it to look nice in your house, then buy new. If you want to buy better quality and gig it, then used is the way to go - it allows you more bang for your buck.

Just my two'penneth, mind. It's your dosh!

Edited by stingrayfan

I use.....

It's two MBC410's powered by a Laney B1 head. I started with the MB4410 combo and then added an MBC115. The MB4410 could be very loud and the difference between the valve and solid state preamp stages was quite marked. The valve preamp stage was warm and sounded nice when overdriven.

I stumbled across the Laney B1 on FleaBay and thought that it's 1500watts into 4 ohms output stage would give me the power I need with plenty of headroom to spare. I sold the the MB4410 to a guy who plays in a Prog Rock band. He loves it to bits. I found the MBC115 provided no extra bottom end and in fact struggled to be heard when played in conjunction with the 4 x 10 so moved that on too.

I bought the two MBC410's and powered by the Laney, they're an awesome combination. It's loud with loads of punch and clarity and performs really well right down to the low B of my 5 string.

In my opinion, I wouldn't bother with the MBC115. Start with an MB450 and a single MBC410. Add an MBC410 later if needed.

Edited by bassman2790

ah that post is very helpful. i've searched and i cant seem to find the Laney B1 head anywhere - its not even on their website.

i kinda figured, because the 4x10 cabinet would carry the mids-highs, i needed the 1x15 to fill out the low end, but ur saying that the extra cab made no difference? i think i'll have to try both cabs out in the shop (having 2 4x10 cabs seems a bit much for me, cos im only 15)

PS. do you have any more pics of ur marshall stack? if u do id love to see them!

cheers

[quote name='jjl5590' post='170697' date='Apr 6 2008, 02:03 PM']i kinda figured, because the 4x10 cabinet would carry the mids-highs, i needed the 1x15 to fill out the low end

cheers[/quote]

That's not necessarily the case if you're thinking that a 15" speaker is desirable because it will go lower than a 4x10. Low frequencies use up a lot of your amp's power and very often do nothing but create undesirable boom and room rattle which you will forever be trying to dial out using the EQ on the amp.

All the punch and cut-throughness that you are looking for will be produced by the mids and a modern good quality 4x10 is more than capable of doing the job on it's own.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='170626' date='Apr 6 2008, 11:37 AM']Just my two'penneth, mind. It's your dosh![/quote]

Or is it his parents' dosh? :)

The Laney B1 was discontinued quite a few years back but is one of the best bass heads to ever come from a UK manufacturer. Marshall may be the name amongst guitarists but apart from a few exceptions they have a unique talent for missing the mark with their bass gear, hence if you do buy something new from them you'll lose a ton when you come to sell it on (which no doubt you will, I don't know of any bassist that has hung onto every bit of gear they've ever bought...)

Also unless we're living in a different country, you can't drive a car legally until you're 17 so portability remains important. A decent head and a decent 4x10" is all you need. The key word is decent - for your budget you will do far better buying used. FAR BETTER! And if you buy something off one of the noble ladies and gentleman here you are highly unlikely to be screwed. Look in the classifieds forums, there's quite a turnover of gear in there.

Now you can ignore everything I've written, buy an oversized overpriced stack, and I can have a good laugh in a year's time when you realise we were right all along.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='170800' date='Apr 6 2008, 04:39 PM']Or is it his parents' dosh? ;)

The Laney B1 was discontinued quite a few years back but is one of the best bass heads to ever come from a UK manufacturer. Marshall may be the name amongst guitarists but apart from a few exceptions they have a unique talent for missing the mark with their bass gear, hence if you do buy something new from them you'll lose a ton when you come to sell it on (which no doubt you will, I don't know of any bassist that has hung onto every bit of gear they've ever bought...)

Also unless we're living in a different country, you can't drive a car legally until you're 17 so portability remains important. A decent head and a decent 4x10" is all you need. The key word is decent - for your budget you will do far better buying used. FAR BETTER! And if you buy something off one of the noble ladies and gentleman here you are highly unlikely to be screwed. Look in the classifieds forums, there's quite a turnover of gear in there.

Now you can ignore everything I've written, buy an oversized overpriced stack, and I can have a good laugh in a year's time when you realise we were right all along.

Alex[/quote]
lol hmm ur starting to win me over :huh:
the stack (or half-stack) will basically be a present for be if i do well in gcse's. I just dont really like buying second hand because i have had quite a few bad experiences when it comes to 2nd hand music gear. i bought a second hand bass - one of the tuning knobs was completely nackerd. bought an effects pedal - the footswitch was split and the rubber on the base was peeling. i also bought a practice bass amp and the imput jack for active bass was really crackly.
i guess im just against 2nd hand stuff cos u cant try it before hand and u got no comeback - and its still a lot of money if u think about it.

but i'll have a look and see whats sellin :)

[quote name='jjl5590' post='170804' date='Apr 6 2008, 05:42 PM']hmm, i hear what your saying, but with the sole 4x10 cab, the head only puts out 300W, instead of 450W.

if what your saying about the 1x15 cab is true, how comes people still buy them?[/quote]

I didn't say "don't buy one". I was responding to the fact that you seem fixated with the idea that you've got to have a full stack of 1x15 + 4x10. You don't need a 15" speaker to fill out the low end. Speaker technology has come on in leaps and bounds even in the last 5 years. 10s or 12s will give you all the low end you need, whilst a 15" speaker, especially at the budget end of the market, which is what you're looking at, may give you something you really don't need or want, especially if you're gonna be playing funky stuff

As for why people buy them, very many fewer people are buying 15" speakers these days, and those that are may be looking for a particular sound. There are many excellent quality 15s around, but Marshall and Ashdown MAG are not amongst them. If the only reason you are contemplating getting a 15 is to get the full power out of your amp then don't bother, because you won't be able to hear the difference between 300w and 450w :)

Edited by PaulMartin

[quote name='jjl5590' post='170836' date='Apr 6 2008, 06:32 PM']i guess im just against 2nd hand stuff cos u cant try it before hand and u got no comeback - and its still a lot of money if u think about it.[/quote]

You should try second hand gear when you go to pick it up, if possible. With people who've been on these forums a while and who have good feedback, they will usually refund the money and take the item back if it's buggered.

I've bought two basses, a pick-up, a strap and various other bits n' bobs from these forums. I've also sold two bass cabs, an electronic drumkit and a bass head here. There haven't been any problems with any of my transactions.

It is still a lot of money but you'd get a better quality amp secondhand for the same amount of money. And then if/when you sell it, you'll lose far less money from depreciation.

If you look around this forum you'll see discussions about various pieces of new equipment that stop working for no apparent reason - and some of the problems people have had afterwards trying to get everything fixed.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='170800' date='Apr 6 2008, 05:39 PM']Or is it his parents' dosh? :)

The Laney B1 was discontinued quite a few years back but is one of the best bass heads to ever come from a UK manufacturer.[/quote]

It's certainly one of the best bass heads I've ever owned.

The Marshall cabs were bought on Marshall's reputation for a decent build quality , the 600 watt power handling capability and the ridiculously low price you can get these cabs for. Having taken one of the drivers out to find no manufacturers name or reference on them, one can tell where corners have been cut to in order to keep the price down. I could load the cabs with Eminence drivers at a later date should I wish but to be honest, I'm more than happy with the sound they produce as they stand and would rate them higher than the Peavey 410PVX's that I play through at the rehearsal studio which sound dull and lack character by comparison.