Why become a member? ×

Guitar through a bass amp....

LukeFRC

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Had, and got rid of, a Marshall AS50 and a Fishman. Good as they were, I get a better sound from my Takamine through a Danelectro 15watt bass practise combo. Actually gig it too. If you're not looking for effects and plugging mics in, small bass combo is the cheaper way to go for electro acoustics as you still gt a practise amp for your bass.

I put guitar into my Ashdown CTM15 and into a BF Super midget and it sounds good. The tweeter needs turning down a bit if using a lot of drive, but you could easily gig it.
You're never going to get cone breakup, but pushing the power stage sounds cool.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1326838914' post='1502758']
It won't do anything bad to your amp, but it doesn't sound particularly great.
[/quote]

Well I broke my tweeters in my GB NX2 cab when I put an acoustic guitar though it and it fed back!

• 2 years later...
On 18/1/2012 at 15:22, BigRedX said:

Don't forget that one of the classic amps for guitarists is the Fender Bassman...

Thanks for that,  always wondered why guitar player's used an amp with that moniker,  learn summat new everyday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hope no-one minds me resurrecting this...

I'm thinking of doing a bit of guitaring again and due to a lack of space having multiple amps could be a nuisance. So, I thought about getting a bass cab and then a bass and guitar head. Probably this one:

https://orangeamps.com/products/bass-guitar-speaker-enclosures/obc-series/obc112/

Presumably that might be reasonable for guitar, particularly given I'm only after clean jazz tones?

I hear tell on the interwebs that the Fender Rumble range work well with guitar. 
Plus, their appearance is ambiguous so they could be mistaken for a guitar amp, if that sort of thing bothered you. As it would me.

I do looping live on occasion with my bass and Tele or Strat going thru various treatment devices, into a Boss RC-300 and then into a MarkBass CMD 102p. Sounds just fine to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've plugged my Yammies and Strats into my GB Shuttle 6 into fEARful 2x10 cabs and it sounded quite nice for cleans - almost JC120 but extra hi-fi.  It was a little harsh for distortion though.  I run a fairly clean and neutral bass rig.

• 4 months later...

Have just taken possession of a jazz archtop made by a nameless manufacturer here in China and it sounds warmer and sweeter through my bass amp than through the 5E3 combos I normally use.

• 3 months later...
On 01/02/2012 at 20:12, mcnach said:

It won't do anything bad to your amp, but it doesn't sound particularly great.

This.

No bass cab I have tried sounds very good for guitar.
You can just about get away with clean sounds. Some clean sounds. Still not very nice. But distortion in particular sounds awful :(

Fast forward 8 years... and I have a different take on this:

Guitar (strat, tele, or dual humbucker PRS all good) into drive pedal (Mooer Hustle Drive), into Joyo American Sound (set cleanish) and a reverb pedal. Then that into a bass head (MarkBass LMIII or TC Electronic BAM200 both good) and using a TKS S112 or a BF Two10 cab.

THAT sounds pretty good. The Joyo American sound is an analog Fender amplifier modelling pedal (not sure which model, I forget) with some decent speaker emulation. I have used the British Sound one, and the Orange Juice, all good, but the American Sound is the nicest. I bought it for overdrive on bass (it's very nice for lower gain sounds), but it makes playing guitar through a bass amp so good that I haven't used my guitar amplifiers in ages as space is a bit limited in my 'toy room' and like this I can use a single amp. 

Acoustic/Electric guitars sound great through a bass amp. I used my Yamaha APX guitar through my mesa boogie walkabout and 2x10 powerhouse cab and that sounded great. For electric guitar,  only my active ones seem to sound ok as long as i don't use any kind of overdrive/distortion. But i have a guitar amp so I don't need to double up.