Why become a member? ×

Latest Bill Fitmaurice design

tauzero

I remember posting this back on Bassworld. 110dB/W/m just doesn't bear thinking about, especially with over 6kW handling - it equates to nearly 150dB.

Here's a link to the same thing in English:

[url="http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm"]http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm[/url]

Andy

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='168809' date='Apr 2 2008, 11:11 PM']Now how the fook do you happen to stumble across something like that?[/quote]
Someone mentioned it on a motorcycle email list (on which the concept of "on" and "off" topic is completely alien :) ).

[quote name='Alien' post='168897' date='Apr 3 2008, 10:13 AM'][url="http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm"]http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm[/url][/quote]

'The real maximum power fed to both subhorn measured with an oscilloscope at the highest musical peak was 6 watts per channel when a pair of tube amps were used to drive the 16 LAuras, while up to date the electric power can reach 60 watts per channel using the 4 x 50watts/ch BLU EYES amps. In this conditions, peak levels are much higher and undistorted than any live concert at all. Walls and ceiling seems to fall down, but fortunately don't. The sound pressure is concentrated at the listening point and stopped by a 2 meters high woolglass anechoic wall on the back of the listening position. We should remember that the total diaphragm surface of the woofers is 2.89 square meters (8.67 square feet) and with the drivers horn loaded (not direct radiating), distortion at 60 watts is practically negligible. If for instance the real maximum rated power (6400 watt) would be used the pressure level would reach 160 dB, but I wonder who could survive. Not even the house built in steel & concrete maybe would stand up.'

Which of us, if we had the cash, wouldn't want to do that to our basement!

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='169170' date='Apr 3 2008, 02:56 PM']Not I. My 8 cu ft horn loaded sub provides all that I need :huh: and all that She Who Must Be Obeyed will tolerate :)[/quote]

Ah, but that's the beauty of Snr Royal's enormous horn - it's under the floor, out of the jurisdiction of She Who Must Be Obeyed.

[quote name='bremen' post='168910' date='Apr 3 2008, 10:25 AM']'If for instance the real maximum rated power (6400 watt) would be used the pressure level would reach 160 dB, but I wonder who could survive. Not even the house built in steel & concrete maybe would stand up.'

Which of us, if we had the cash, wouldn't want to do that to our basement![/quote]
Anyone who owns a teenager. Who would want to come home to a pile of rubble?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='169324' date='Apr 3 2008, 06:12 PM']An interesting thing about that speaker system is that it relies almost entirely on acoustic crossovers. OK, well I found it interesting - I'll get my coat...

Alex[/quote]
LOL

Alex, don't you dare go changing. :)

my god thats just ludicrous. i wonder what the builders were sayin? "what a fookin bell end" or something along those lines.
i would like to see the results of tying someone to a chair and then setting it on full (and on a timer so you could get out) if the house could stand it would you just be left with a pile of mush?

i want one :)