Why become a member? ×

Rotosound

paul_5

The fact I often leave off buying strings until the last minute before traveling abroad often means I end up dashing into my local music store and getting Rotosounds because it's largely all that the Liverpool stores stock. Not terrible strings but they don't last. My preference if possible is to get D'Addarios, and although the Pro Steels don't last long either, I've had good experiences with D'Addario nickels recently, which have lasted pretty long.

I still can't stomach £30 for DR's, they just don't seem worth it and I've used them plenty before. I'd be interested to try out some Elixirs next.

Mine arrived a while ago and I think are destined to go on my Ric 4003 when it needs a change of strings but the Rickenbacker set of Nickels haven't been on very long so it may be a while before I can report back but I'm expecting it to sound pretty good! Haven't used Rotosound for a while and generally have stuck to nickel in recent times but a Ric with Roto steels should be a classic match.

Got my set of Rotos this morning, thanks very much to Jason and Coral at Rotosound! :D
I'll be fitting them in time for rehearsal on Thursday, a gig next week, then I'll post feedback.

Anyone gigged their Rotos yet, any comments?

Edited by discreet

I've strung my fretless Jazz with these new Rotos and they're lovely. They've had a couple of outings, and they're really consistent, balanced strings. The tone is great and they respond well to different techniques (slap, harmonics etc.)

Kudos to Rotosound for a well made set of strings (and also for letting us have them for free!).

Happy bunny. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330428040' post='1557175']
Got my set of Rotos this morning, thanks very much to Jason and Coral at Rotosound! :D
I'll be fitting them in time for rehearsal on Thursday, a gig next week, then I'll post feedback.

Anyone gigged their Rotos yet, any comments?
[/quote]

This morning!? Did they go for a small tour of the Maldives or something? :) I got mine 3 weeks ago.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1330433195' post='1557317']
This morning!? Did they go for a small tour of the Maldives or something? :) I got mine 3 weeks ago.
[/quote]

What do you expect? London's just a backwater really, not the like the throbbing cosmopolitan hub that is Devon.

Hi all,

My strings arrived the day before yesterday, which is nice. They may not be used for a while, as I'm set for all basses currently, but I'll put them at the front of the 'queue'!

I'm currently using Swing Bass 50-110 as it happens (tuned down half a step) on my Warwick Streamer Standard. They've been on for two months and sound great. Mind you, I'm currently bandless so just playing at home.

Thank you Jason at Rotosound!

I've just received an e-mail from Stringbusters with a 10% off Rotosound strings offer. If you're impressed with your complimentary set or feel miffed that you missed out, then here's the link.

http://www.stringbusters.com/Ko-Bespoke/productlist.asp?cat=1/BASS%20STRINGS/BASS%20STRINGS%20ROTOSOUND

I've been using Roto 66 for the last 3 years. I've tried other strings but I keep coming back to them, the tone I get out of a set of worn in 66s is amazing. Punchy, warm and balanced. I've just put some Rotobass 50s on my stingray and acoustically they sound very nice - warm lows, bright top and not too clangy and airy like fresh from the box 66s, but haven't played them plugged in yet. Should be interesting to see how they wear in. Might try some nickel 66s too but they don't appear to make those in 50-110.

Rotosounds are my go-to sounds

Put mine on this weekend, they feel different from old, not as rough, and Im sure they used to look darker.

They went on my Squier CV, and I did notice that on the E string it looks a touch too long so part of the unwrapped string is going around the tuning post. Anyone else noticed this?

They do sound good though, nice and full.

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1331552818' post='1574520']
...the E string it looks a touch too long so part of the unwrapped string is going around the tuning post. Anyone else noticed this?
[/quote]

I've used DR Fat Beams before which have no wrapping at all Steve, so I think it's probably OK. Unless you think it looks weird, of course... I don't think it affects the sound or playability, though. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331554512' post='1574555']
I've used DR Fat Beams before which have no wrapping at all Steve, so I think it's probably OK. Unless you think it looks weird, of course... I don't think it affects the sound or playability, though. :)
[/quote]

Cheers Mark, I usually use Slnkys which are unwrapped, but then I saw this on Rotosounds site

http://www.rotosound.com/string_guide.php

Its in the Please Note paragraph.

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1331555845' post='1574607']
Cheers Mark, I usually use Slnkys which are unwrapped, but then I saw this on Rotosounds site

[url="http://www.rotosound.com/string_guide.php"]http://www.rotosound...tring_guide.php[/url]

Its in the Please Note paragraph.
[/quote]
Measure your string with regard to the lengths given in that link & if it's outside the specified range - give Rotosound a bell or email. I'm sure they'll soon sort you out.