Why become a member? ×

Rotosound

paul_5

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1328606927' post='1529722']
Well, I didn't post earlier because I honestly didn't want a set of Rotosounds, even for free. I [i]really[/i] don't like them. Top marks for customer service/promotion to Rotosound, though.

OK, who's up for a 'discussion/begging' thread about DRs then? :D
[/quote]

Neons Yellow 45-105 please.

None in Wales yet. I guess the Royal Mail are having difficulty with the snow...

EDIT: Just for home to find they've arrived! Along with a Rotosound pen and keyring! :D
Many thanks to all those involved!

Edited by bartelby

I stopped using Rotosounds for about 6 months as I felt they were starting to die off far too quickly and I couldn't afford to change them every month on 3 basses at 20 quid a pop so I started using the Fender (re packaged D'Addario) 45-105 standard strings. Yeah, they were nice but they lacked that snappy, twangy sound that Rotosounds gave me on my basses.
I'm seriously considering going back to using the Roto RS66LE 50-110 for the lower Drop C# stuff I play and RS66LD 45-105 for the standard/ E Flat stuff I play. Saying that, I do find the D'Addario Chrome Flatwounds to be better than Rotosound's flatwounds (especially the Steve Harris SH77 flatwounds) so I'll carry on using those on my Steve Harris signature Fender but for the roundwound strung basses like my Tobias, Spector and Fender Jazz, I'll give the Swing Bass Rotos a chance again.

Postman's been! Ah you cheeky Rotosound people, tempting me with your added freebies of Keyring and Pen. Very nice too I might say.

Slapped a set of Elites on the Jazz just the other day so will gig them tommorow and stick the Rotos on for the next one in a weeks time and attempt a comparison.

Hi Jason,

I'm feeling a little bit mugged here. While you are giving out free strings, I'm a punter who went out and spent £27 on a set of '77' flat wound 45-105's. Was really looking forward to slinging these on the TBird. I'll start with the bad bit, then finish with a positive. They are so 'tight' I found then unplayable for me. Just rock-hard tension, and my neck was pulled so far forward, I thought it might give some problems. Previous to this I'd had on Ernie Ball RW Hybrids (45-105), and they are now back on. I wish I could return these, but I dont see it as a fault with the shop. I've now got them up for sale on BC, maybe other folk are used to this and could fare better than me.

The positive is they did sound great, and the 'monel' (nickel?) is the 'soft' feel I want. Can't stand stainless. But just cant play such a high tension string. But the amount of tension was way higher than anything I've known before.

Given a choice, I would prefer to buy British, and would spend a few extra pennies to stay loyal, but the product has to match the outlay and enthusiasm.

There is some good British kit out there, and I started with Rotosound in '85, but too many neg comments here.

What gives, Jason?

Best wishes,

Sean

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1328925061' post='1535053']
I'm a punter who went out and spent £27 on a set of '77' flat wound 45-105's. Was really looking forward to slinging these on the TBird. I'll start with the bad bit, then finish with a positive. They are so 'tight' I found then unplayable for me. Just rock-hard tension, and my neck was pulled so far forward, I thought it might give some problems. [/quote]

I recently bought a set of the 77s but I did some research first and found out that the tension is higher so I ordered a set in a lighter gauge and they are very nice.

My RS66 set has arrived - many thanks to Rotosound.

[quote name='StraightSix' timestamp='1328957223' post='1535224']
I recently bought a set of the 77s but I did some research first and found out that the tension is higher so I ordered a set in a lighter gauge and they are very nice.
[/quote]

Interesting. Thing is, the 45-105 guage is my thing and wouldnt want to go thinner. Maybe Roto's are just not the brand for me. Anyone know which brand offers a low tension 45-105 (or maybe fatter) flat?