Why become a member? ×

Courier Nightmare!! Possible stolen Good!

krispn

So I agreed a sale with a very nice fellow here on BC. I arranged shipping of said amp to him in Holland. The people from UPS came and uplifted the amp along with a cab which was headed down south. Next day I get confirmation that the cab has arrived safely, and quickly to its new home and a look at the tracking info for the head reveals the message that it had not been uplifted and thus rescheduled. I contacted the couriers (Interparcel working as the agent, UPS their 'delivery partners') I kept the recipient informed and we both put it down to logistics. Fast forward two days later and the amp is nowhere to been seen and UPS are commencing an investigation. Mine and the recipents worst fear is that the parcel has been swiped! The amp in question is a quite a rare beast so should be easily spotted if seen in your local crack convertors. It's an Aguilar DB 359 all tube head serial number 629. It was cased i a brand new Spider brand black 2U soft case. We are both hopeful that a simple logisical error is the problem and that the amp shows up after the weekend but it's better to put the work out just incase. I can only presume it went to the Glasgow UPS depot and I'll be taking a trip over to Glasgow and trawling the 2nd hand places to be sure it hasnt surfaced. If you notice or hear of an Aguilar DB 359 going cheap please let me know via PM and I'll get to work. If you suddenly notive your local CC with one again let me know and I'll get on the case or if you can provisionally reserve it if the serial number/description matches. Thanks iun advance folks and if the mods wish to move this to a Lost/Stolen thread be my guest. Gavin

Edited by krispn

The amp shows as not being uplifted? What did the courier give you as a receipt of goods when he picked them gear up? Surely you are covered? UPS are pretty good but that doesn't mean they're infallible. Or was it another agent courier who picked up the parcel?

I had a similar thing happen to me with Parcelforce. I shipped a rare 335 to Spain and it went missing for the best part of two weeks; it just disappeared of the tracking system! The Spaniard was freaking, mainly cos he'd only taken a nominal amount of insurance (against my express instruction!). I was onto Parcelforce right away and the guitar was showing as being stuck in the international hub near Coventry. Only after an extensive investigation with a full description of the carton and its dimensions was the guitar found: it was discovered, hidden under some other items in a disused cornere of a massive warehouse. The tracking codes had been ripped off, somehow.

The guitar was put back into the system and arrived at its destination two days later. Parcelforce could offer no explanation as to how the guitar ended up in the corner of a warehouse but the cynic in me told me it had been swiped and hidden, possibly to be collected after a few more weeks after the heat had died down.

And last year, I paid for and never received a custom built bass from Italy, stolen in Milan from a courier hub. It's rare, theft, but it does happen. Just keep on their case.

Yeah two items were uplifted and maybe he, UPS guy, has thought they were both the same order? No receipt was offered at point of uplift so my hope is that its sitting somewhere with guys scratching their heads thinking where did this come from. Although one scan of the packing label would given them a fairly decent idea!

It's currently under investigation with UPS (oops more like!)

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1326556015' post='1498802']
No receipt was offered at point of uplift
[/quote]

This is what I'd be worried about; I told a ParcelFrace driver that he wasn't getting my uplift when he said he couldn't give me a receipt. Mind you he was a temp (he said) in civvies, in a hired white van & no ID.

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1326668866' post='1500371']
The thing is one parcel got delivered the next day no problems.

I hope to get an update tomorrow.
[/quote]

It sounds like it's fallen through a gap in the system. I had a similar thing with interparcel where the pickup scan wasn't done properly. Interparcel somehow realised that I hadn't been given the paperwork and rang me to chase it.
Ironically by this time the fella I sold it too had contacted me via bass chat to say he had already got the item. The meaning of the story, interparcel aren't bad.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1326533841' post='1498427']
The amp shows as not being uplifted? What did the courier give you as a receipt of goods when he picked them gear up? Surely you are covered? UPS are pretty good but that doesn't mean they're infallible. Or was it another agent courier who picked up the parcel?

I had a similar thing happen to me with Parcelforce. I shipped a rare 335 to Spain and it went missing for the best part of two weeks; it just disappeared of the tracking system! The Spaniard was freaking, mainly cos he'd only taken a nominal amount of insurance (against my express instruction!). I was onto Parcelforce right away and the guitar was showing as being stuck in the international hub near Coventry. Only after an extensive investigation with a full description of the carton and its dimensions was the guitar found: it was discovered, hidden under some other items in a disused cornere of a massive warehouse. The tracking codes had been ripped off, somehow.

The guitar was put back into the system and arrived at its destination two days later. Parcelforce could offer no explanation as to how the guitar ended up in the corner of a warehouse but the cynic in me told me it had been swiped and hidden, possibly to be collected after a few more weeks after the heat had died down.

And last year, I paid for and never received a custom built bass from Italy, stolen in Milan from a courier hub. It's rare, theft, but it does happen. Just keep on their case.
[/quote]

Aaaah the great Parcelforce central hub in Coventry.
Many an item has "gone astray" in that place never to be seen again.
Funny how the item had lost its details and hidden under other gear ready for the removal once the dust has settled and no-one is paying any attention anymore. Insurance has paid out and everyone is happy - HUH !!!! how cynical is that.

This hub has a direct link to the Bermuda triangle you know. :unsure:

I'm not bitter you know.

One small tip when posting is to cover the address details completely with cellotape to prevent weather damage or risk of tearing.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Problem discovered.

The amp is still in the depot - the package couldn't be read by the x ray machine. No suggestion that they forward it to their main sorting office over land for scanning then sent onwards. No logic in logistics it seems.

It makes you wonder why no one from UPS got in touch and instead it took over a week to get an answer. UPS will be getting a complaint letter for sure. I may pass it over to my mate who loves writing a good complaint letter :)

It's going overland to it's new home so fingers crossed it get there by Feb!!!

Good result in the end but still a worrying time for both parties concerned - buyer and seller.

Logistics have a lot to answer for although when you look at number of parcels being sent everyday i guess it will be small % that go astray.

Who knows ?

Great news though
Dave