Why become a member? ×

New Ibanez Promethean line... details.

wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1327571687' post='1513408']
FWIW, the old/current head & combo aren't in the 2012 catalogue... just the new stuff.
[/quote]

Boo :(
I guess it hasn't sold well enough for them to keep up the higher powered stuff then.
Baws...

Eude

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327573796' post='1513454']
Weird. I also think Markbass are off the pulse when it comes to the latest market. The new amp they have isn't really anything new and they are discontinuing the F1/F500!
[/quote]

Hmmm, that's a little silly!
Perhaps they weren't that cost effective for them?
I guess, they weren't actually that much smaller or lighter than the LittleMarks. Shame though, I really liked them.
I agree with you though, the new amp is about 12 months too late, but I also think they're close to being able to trade on their name alone, much like the other big stalwarts of bass amplification, so if they don't push boundaries they'll still sell gear...

Eude

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327573796' post='1513454']
Weird. I also think Markbass are off the pulse when it comes to the latest market. The new amp they have isn't really anything new and they are discontinuing the F1/F500!
[/quote]

Agreed. I always said if the brought out a LM4 with mute, aux and headphones i'd be all over it. The Big Bang is sh*t!

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1327571858' post='1513414']
Boo :(
I guess it hasn't sold well enough for them to keep up the higher powered stuff then.
Baws...

Eude
[/quote]

If they didn't sell enough it was only because they didn't manufacture enough. About 6 months ago or so when I was in the market for one I couldn't find a shop in the country that had any stock. They were all saying 'we should have some in 2 weeks', then it was going to be next month, come august there was still no stock.
I bought a GK MB500 instead as there was no clear indication if and when anyone would have any stock delivered.

Likewise. I couldn't get a new one. My local shop gave me a 6 week wait. I eventually found a used one on ebay for nearly £200 off the retail price.

[quote name='keving' timestamp='1327580691' post='1513610']
If they didn't sell enough it was only because they didn't manufacture enough. About 6 months ago or so when I was in the market for one I couldn't find a shop in the country that had any stock. They were all saying 'we should have some in 2 weeks', then it was going to be next month, come august there was still no stock.
I bought a GK MB500 instead as there was no clear indication if and when anyone would have any stock delivered.
[/quote]

[quote name='keving' timestamp='1327580691' post='1513610']
[/quote]
[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1327581279' post='1513626']
Likewise. I couldn't get a new one. My local shop gave me a 6 week wait. I eventually found a used one on ebay for nearly £200 off the retail price.
[/quote]

That's a real shame.
I guess it's very hard to strike the balance between making enough to make a mark without wasting money if they fall on their arse.
Seems they struck gold with the quality and price point, but didn't risk big enough to grab a real market share.

You never know, something might be in the pipe for Summer Namm...

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1327582118' post='1513648']
That's a real shame.
I guess it's very hard to strike the balance between making enough to make a mark without wasting money if they fall on their arse.
[b]Seems they struck gold with the quality and price point,[/b] but didn't risk big enough to grab a real market share.

You never know, something might be in the pipe for Summer Namm...

Eude
[/quote]

I had a P500 combo+extension and sold it because i wanted something with 12" cabs but one of the main reasons that precipitated my sale was taking the lid of the head off and comparing it to my Shuttle, The Ibby was buildt with cheap (read chinese) components and they weren't very well put together - bent components soldered to the pcb, knackered jack socket thread.

The sound was very good although a bit coloured to sound more beefier, the finish was superb, the knobs seemed a bit fragile, the speakers were beyma... in short this is a nice piece of kit but the price tag reflects the build quality and materials.

If they made a 12" version i would be all over two extension cabs in a heart beat but i would probably stay away from the head though...

A 1x12 extension cabinet would of been perfect to sit with the 1x10 combo I have. Shame. Maybe some more stuff later in the year will address this, but doubtful. The new 300 watt head is to be expected I guess. They're clearly going after the Ashdown and GK market, and at £200 a pop, it's going to be very appealing to bassists on a budget, or simply looking for a backup head.

• 1 month later...

I spoke to the endorser of the line at the show and he said that the current line is going and he didn't understand why they were making a 15" combo and thought it was pretty stupid. I knew there were supply issues but hadn't seen this thread.

One of the uk main stockists said they probably won't bother with it as it is a bit pointless as it's massive and the head is not removable. There is apparently some issue with the factory which is part of the reason. I imagine the head is to better compete with the gk 200w head so i would expect it to be cheaper at least so at least adds competition there. I ended up buying the 110 combo on the spot (although I am still yet to physically pick it up from the shop as it was a little awkward for the train) as it just ticked every box. apparently Ibanez tried to buy it back off the shop because they don't have any!

A 112 version would have been killer I think.

[quote name='krazy_olie' timestamp='1331253419' post='1570478']
I spoke to the endorser of the line at the show and he said that the current line is going and he didn't understand why they were making a 15" combo and thought it was pretty stupid. I knew there were supply issues but hadn't seen this thread.

One of the uk main stockists said they probably won't bother with it as it is a bit pointless as it's massive and the head is not removable. There is apparently some issue with the factory which is part of the reason. I imagine the head is to better compete with the gk 200w head so i would expect it to be cheaper at least so at least adds competition there. I ended up buying the 110 combo on the spot (although I am still yet to physically pick it up from the shop as it was a little awkward for the train) as it just ticked every box. apparently Ibanez tried to buy it back off the shop because they don't have any!

A 112 version would have been killer I think.
[/quote]

What a shame :(.
They're not going to get far selling a 1x15 combo, everyone and their dog makes those already so they're trying to enter a product saturated market.

Someone in Ibanez Marketing is going to get their ar*e spanked for this...

I've no doubt about that, I just think they had a good product considering price/weight/size with the 500W Promethean.Now, well, they haven't.

GK will take the crown for the tiny low powered amp with the MB200, which is now being manufactured in the USA instead of being outsourced.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1331285466' post='1570674']
The point a lot of you are missing is that they don't just supply the UK market. Some products sell well in other parts of the world than they do in the UK.
[/quote]
Good point, especially as the Ibanez website is showing both versions available. So if the 500w version is being discontinued in the UK (but available elsewhere) it'll be down to the UK distributors, who are going to be responding to disappointing sales.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1331287329' post='1570719']
GK will take the crown for the tiny low powered amp with the MB200, which is now being manufactured in the USA instead of being outsourced.
[/quote]
Interesting change of policy. I wonder if we'll see an increase in price or whether they'll offset it elsewhere. Any idea if the MB500 is going to be US made (or is it already - I really don't know)???

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1331333934' post='1571715']
All GK gear is being made in the USA now.
[/quote]

Very curious - I wonder what their rationale is for that, given that so much is produced (very cheaply) in the Far East nowadays. I don't remember reading about QC issues with the current stuff (although I haven't really looked) so it seems strange that they'd want to produce with more expensive US labour unless they figure consumers will be happy with a higher price.

And I'm just assuming this will mean a higher price here.

Apparently the recent combos had some issues is the USA...and I presume it was enough for GK to want to have more control. I think they have always made their larger amps in the USA anyway, so perhaps they just decided to expand the factory. Their are some guys on Talkbass with brand new USA made MB200s, and there isn't much of a price increase. Let's hope the UK importers don't use it as an excuse to add more profit just because of the change. I wouldn't mind paying £50 or do more for a better QC'd product.

Im waiting out for the MB800! :)