Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray (1978)

Kiwi

[i]Features:[/i]
This 34” scale instrument was originally bought off Ebay in a mutilated state. The original body had been hacked into an approximation of a Warwick Thumb shape, painted in blue emulsion and then an original airbrushed sci-fi nude on plastic had been laminated onto the front of it. Apart from the body, the rest of the bass was intact and I planned to transplant a EB 93 body onto the bass temporarily. Eventually I found a worn but nicely mojo’d 1977 body on Ebay which I bought at a silly (ie. expensive) price but I still had a pre EB Stingray at a very good overall cost. It also wasn’t unknown for bodies and necks to be up to a year apart in dates as well so the bass still retains a lot of integrity.

The bass is active and features a 2 band baxandale eq plus volume running off a 9v battery. The pickup is an original Musicman twin coil humbucker with fat pole pieces in a position about 4 inches from the bridge. The body is made from ash and the neck is a single piece of maple with 21 frets (which could probably do with a bit of stoning)

The bass is finished in a nitro finish and is very worn and checked. The body style is a typical double cutaway with a 3 bolt neck joint. The bridge is a substantial affair and fixed to the body with two substantial anchor bolts that screw into ferrules inset into the body. The bridge itself made from steel with two dimensions of movement and through body stringing. There were sponge mutes still on the bridge but the foam was turning into sticky gunk so had to go. A bit of white spirit took care of any residue. The tuners are open geared Musicman cloverleaf tuners typically of the design associated with vintage fenders.

The neck dimensions are probably best described as a cross between a jazz and a precision bass. The neck feels very similar to many modern basses in terms of its playability and super low action is possible thanks to the microtilt feature in the heel of the bass. This makes fine tuning possible without completely removing the neck.

[i]Sound:[/i]
Probably the most striking thing about the sound of a Stingray is the very prominent lower mids and the coarse sounding top end. This is primarily due to a combination of the pickup placement and the Baxendale preamp although the neck and body woods undoubtedly provide the basic growl and attack.

With this particular bass, the vintage disco vibe is immediately apparent, particularly the growl on the lower strings. Some people have claimed that on their stingrays, the D and G strings are quieter, I have to admit I’ve never encountered this on the Stingrays I’ve played. When I fitted the 77 body, the bass was a little dead sounding for about 6 months but the bass kind of settled in and now it sounds as growly as it did with the 93 body.

At the moment I use the bass with Gallien Krueger and Trace valve amps through Gallien Krueger and EBS neo 2x12 cabs. I’ve found that stingrays and valve heads generally suit each other very nicely whereas super clean amps like the GK can make the ‘ray sound a little brittle unless the tweeter is turned down. But any amp with a warm mid-low emphasis and clean highs will compliment a stingray.

[i]Action Fit and Finish:[/i]
The action is fairly low but the neck could do with a stoning or, better yet, a bit of a clean up. I think the neck has been refinished at some point judging by the scratches around the headstock, but that’s OK. I have a spare 1978 neck which needs a new trussrod but could do the same job. The fit is great for an old bass, but the finish is very worn and cracked. Overall it’s a bit of a beater but looks great from all the player wear.

[i]Reliability/Durability:[/i]
The battery seems to last about 3 months with weekly gigging and I’ve not had any problems with the bass so far. Its proven to be a very reliable instrument.
[i]
Customer Support:[/i]
None. Ernie Ball don’t stock pre EB parts or have any pre EB information on basses prior to the change in ownership. The only source for preEB parts is secondhand through somewhere like Ebay (sometimes at a price).

[i]Overall Rating:[/i]
I own a range of other bass gear including Smiths, an Alembic, Celinders and a Pedulla, plus more stuff I’ve sold on. I’ve been very satisfied with the bass since owning it, its managed to hit the right spot every time I’ve used it. Generally this is my bass of choice for funky 70’s disco type bass sounds. The instrument is probably replaceable in terms of sound but the mojo it has probably isn’t.

Ever since seeing/hearing Marlowe DK's ray of a similar vintage on YouTube I've been gassing for one... it'll be years until I can actually afford a decent specimen but thanks for the review Kiwi... i'm a sucker for a natural, maple, mojo'd, and the neck and headstock on yours looks the absolute bomb. all the best with it.. :)

I once saw a really battered pre-EB ray in a pawn shop here for £325... Alas at the time I really didn't know what it was. With a bit of TLC it would have been a cracking bass but I had no cash at the time and on my return it was long gone. A good 'ray is one of the few basses I still really long for. I've yet to play one that makes the blood boil - but it's out there somewhere!

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='168291' date='Apr 2 2008, 10:55 AM']

[i]Features:[/i]
This 34” scale instrument was originally bought off Ebay in a mutilated state. The original body had been hacked into an approximation of a Warwick Thumb shape, painted in blue emulsion and then an original airbrushed sci-fi nude on plastic had been laminated onto the front of it. Apart from the body, the rest of the bass was intact and I planned to transplant a EB 93 body onto the bass temporarily. Eventually I found a worn but nicely mojo’d 1977 body on Ebay which I bought at a silly (ie. expensive) price but I still had a pre EB Stingray at a very good overall cost. It also wasn’t unknown for bodies and necks to be up to a year apart in dates as well so the bass still retains a lot of integrity.

The bass is active and features a 2 band baxandale eq plus volume running off a 9v battery. The pickup is an original Musicman twin coil humbucker with fat pole pieces in a position about 4 inches from the bridge. The body is made from ash and the neck is a single piece of maple with 21 frets (which could probably do with a bit of stoning)

The bass is finished in a nitro finish and is very worn and checked. The body style is a typical double cutaway with a 3 bolt neck joint. The bridge is a substantial affair and fixed to the body with two substantial anchor bolts that screw into ferrules inset into the body. The bridge itself made from steel with two dimensions of movement and through body stringing. There were sponge mutes still on the bridge but the foam was turning into sticky gunk so had to go. A bit of white spirit took care of any residue. The tuners are open geared Musicman cloverleaf tuners typically of the design associated with vintage fenders.

The neck dimensions are probably best described as a cross between a jazz and a precision bass. The neck feels very similar to many modern basses in terms of its playability and super low action is possible thanks to the microtilt feature in the heel of the bass. This makes fine tuning possible without completely removing the neck.

[i]Sound:[/i]
Probably the most striking thing about the sound of a Stingray is the very prominent lower mids and the coarse sounding top end. This is primarily due to a combination of the pickup placement and the Baxendale preamp although the neck and body woods undoubtedly provide the basic growl and attack.

With this particular bass, the vintage disco vibe is immediately apparent, particularly the growl on the lower strings. Some people have claimed that on their stingrays, the D and G strings are quieter, I have to admit I’ve never encountered this on the Stingrays I’ve played. When I fitted the 77 body, the bass was a little dead sounding for about 6 months but the bass kind of settled in and now it sounds as growly as it did with the 93 body.

At the moment I use the bass with Gallien Krueger and Trace valve amps through Gallien Krueger and EBS neo 2x12 cabs. I’ve found that stingrays and valve heads generally suit each other very nicely whereas super clean amps like the GK can make the ‘ray sound a little brittle unless the tweeter is turned down. But any amp with a warm mid-low emphasis and clean highs will compliment a stingray.

[i]Action Fit and Finish:[/i]
The action is fairly low but the neck could do with a stoning or, better yet, a bit of a clean up. I think the neck has been refinished at some point judging by the scratches around the headstock, but that’s OK. I have a spare 1978 neck which needs a new trussrod but could do the same job. The fit is great for an old bass, but the finish is very worn and cracked. Overall it’s a bit of a beater but looks great from all the player wear.

[i]Reliability/Durability:[/i]
The battery seems to last about 3 months with weekly gigging and I’ve not had any problems with the bass so far. Its proven to be a very reliable instrument.
[i]
Customer Support:[/i]
None. Ernie Ball don’t stock pre EB parts or have any pre EB information on basses prior to the change in ownership. The only source for preEB parts is secondhand through somewhere like Ebay (sometimes at a price).

[i]Overall Rating:[/i]
I own a range of other bass gear including Smiths, an Alembic, Celinders and a Pedulla, plus more stuff I’ve sold on. I’ve been very satisfied with the bass since owning it, its managed to hit the right spot every time I’ve used it. Generally this is my bass of choice for funky 70’s disco type bass sounds. The instrument is probably replaceable in terms of sound but the mojo it has probably isn’t.

[/quote]
Very nice. Ibought one the dead spit of this 2nd hand in '78 for £285. I sold it in '83 for about £350 and considered myself on the winning side! It was bloody heavy, mind and the pre-amp (a first I believe) a bit brutal - I could never afford an amp that could handle it. Bet it looks handsome now. Serial no. B008133 if anybody out there...

• 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...