Why become a member? ×

Anyone played gigs in Japan (visa questions)?

We have been having talks with a promoter in Japan.
He wants us to play 2 dates in Tokyo.
We've never been to Japan before.
He is trying to get us to play the gigs on a tourist visa as it will cost him around £425 per head to get Entertainer visas and he wants to avoid the cost and the bureaucracy.
He seems to think that it is quite normal.
He claims he has promoted several British/US/European bands in Japan, all of whom have travelled to Japan on tourist visas and never had a problem.
If we were deported from Japan for 'working' on a tourist visa it is possible that some of us may have our (professional) day jobs put at risk.
How a bunch of guys carrying guitars in flightcases might blag through customs on a sight seeing visa I'm not sure.
So - have any of you gigged in Japan?
What Visa did you travel on?
What are the risks if caught on the wrong visa?
What are the chances of getting caught?
What would you do?

I hope you all understand now why I am not posting as 'me'.

I haven't gigged there but I have lived there for a number of years. I think a lot of people gig on a tourist visa, though I don't know if I'd personally want to risk it. I don't think they'd deport you though.

Let me know if you have any language questions or anything you need translated.

I have played in Japan a few times [Shows]
It has always been on entertainment/work visa's.
The Visa's have been organised through some agency in London,
On behalf of the company i would have been working for.
I can't remember it costing that much though,
It was more to do with the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]bureaucracy and time it could take.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Garry[/font][/color]

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1325946444' post='1490199']

It was more to do with the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]bureaucracy and time it could take.[/font][/color]

[/quote]

Japan is all about bureaucracy, especially paperwork. I guess you could blag it if you had just your bass but if you came with an amp, a drummer and his kit, etc, they'd start asking questions and I imagine you'd be stuck in the airport for hours.

[quote name='Jam' timestamp='1325946869' post='1490208']
Japan is all about bureaucracy, especially paperwork. I guess you could blag it if you had just your bass but if you came with an amp, a drummer and his kit, etc, they'd start asking questions and I imagine you'd be stuck in the airport for hours.
[/quote]

The last time i was there, it was with 'Grease'
Band, cast, crew and others totalled around 35/40 people.
Blagging was out of the question really.... :lol:

Garry

I just got back from Tokyo - if your from the UK you dont need a visa if your there for less than 2 weeks, you just fill out a piece of paper with the info of where you stay and the purpose of your visit.
they give that to you on the plane.
So i guess you could try that, but like its been said earlier it could be a bit difficult trying to blag it if you have equipment with you.

This was the reply from my friend who's out there this week. It sounds complicated -- but this is what he said, if it helps.

My understanding is that, if you're going to be working out there, you need a sponsoring employer. The process is then that you fill out an application form for a "Certificate of Eligibility" which then has to be sent via the employer to the visa authorities in Japan. This may take a few weeks to come back, at which point you have to complete an additional form for a visa, which you then have to take to the Japanese Consulate in London in person. Once all this has been done they turn 'round the visa in about a week.

His is a reasonably high profile metal band so maybe they have to do things by the book. Sounds like a proper application for a job, though.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by misrule

[quote name='misrule' timestamp='1326062964' post='1491921']
This was the reply from my friend who's out there this week. It sounds complicated -- but this is what he said, if it helps.

My understanding is that, if you're going to be working out there, you need a sponsoring employer. The process is then that you fill out an application form for a "Certificate of Eligibility" which then has to be sent via the employer to the visa authorities in Japan. This may take a few weeks to come back, at which point you have to complete an additional form for a visa, which you then have to take to the Japanese Consulate in London in person. Once all this has been done they turn 'round the visa in about a week.

His is a reasonably high profile metal band so maybe they have to do things by the book. Sounds like a proper application for a job, though.

Cheers

Mark
[/quote]

That all sounds about right from what i remember. [Apart from going in person]
In my case it was all done through an agency [the name escapes me]
The working Visa last's for about three months. [but can be extended]
But i think the sponsoring employer thing is what it's all about.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Misrule's mate is correct, you'll need to fill in the certificates of eligibility, send them to japan, get them back and then go to the Japanese embassy and drop the certificates, application forms and passports off for about 4/5 working days. I took my 11 piece band there a year ago and visa costs from the embassy were about 20 or 25 quid each. I think £425 a head at the promoters end for the entertainment visa is highly unlikely.
Don't go on a tourist visa if you can avoid it, they are very efficient over there and you may be sent straight home.
If you do go, bear in mind its very expensive so the promoter must provide everything..... prices can go up to £18 a pint !

[quote name='gaz66' timestamp='1326142216' post='1492950']
If you do go, bear in mind its very expensive so the promoter must provide everything..... prices can go up to £18 a pint !
[/quote]

£18 a pint? Where have you been drinking?!