Why become a member? ×

Ampeg tone. Punchy?

Ray

These things are entirely up to personal taste but if you're looking for punchy and warm have a listen to some SWR. My experience with Ampeg has always been that it's very middly and cuts through well but it's quite harsh sound and in my opinion wouldn't serve funk too well.

[quote name='BTGAndy' post='173414' date='Apr 9 2008, 08:13 PM']These things are entirely up to personal taste but if you're looking for punchy and warm have a listen to some SWR. My experience with Ampeg has always been that it's very middly and cuts through well but it's quite harsh sound and in my opinion wouldn't serve funk too well.[/quote]

Mmmm SWR, that's a very good suggestion, proabably the one thing I'd swap my Eden for. Not as transparent in some ways, but what a tone.

If I'm going to spend a load of money on a nice amp I want it to colour my sound, hence the SWR. I tried a WT800 for a few weeks and I always found the tone to be a bit muddy, it was like SWR without the bright character.

[quote name='BTGAndy' post='173652' date='Apr 10 2008, 08:47 AM']If I'm going to spend a load of money on a nice amp I want it to colour my sound, hence the SWR. I tried a WT800 for a few weeks and I always found the tone to be a bit muddy, it was like SWR without the bright character.[/quote]

arrggh, Andy you've made me wan an SWR all over again and I haven't got the money :)

I use the WT405 - and actually find it a little to bright! I was playing through an SWR the other day and I do love their sound. The valve pre makes it slightly less 'clinical' than the Eden (mine is all solid state - no valve) which is what I really like about it. Unlike the Ampeg where the SWR colours your tone I don't think it muddys it up, or colours it nearly as much.

Edited by gilmour

It depends on what cabs you try them through I suppose and with regards to the original subject I'm sure what I might call muddy the next guy would call bright! We all hear different things so to some Ampeg may well sound punchy. Buy some SWR gilmour, buy!!!!!

Just to throw my bit in, I just found a fantastic WARM/ PUNCHY and HIFI set up in a Glock Heart rock head and Double light 2x12 cab. The sound is everything you would want from a bass........I can now hear the quality from any instument. I have found many "HIFI" set ups week on tone and , sorry to use the WARM word, lacking warmth and sounding very sterile. The Glock's have a wonderful "high end" sound.