Why become a member? ×

The Stick Thread

prog_fiend

Gratuitous ego shot:

Stick players unite! I think it's high time those of us who like to 'touchstyle' things up a bit had somewhere to discuss, pose and debate the unusual world of the touchstyle/tapping instrument, whether it be a Chapman Stick, Warr Guitar, Krappy (like mine), Mobius Megatar or whatever else...

I hope all you adventurers in stick come out of the woodwork. What have you got? What do you play? Gear, effects, amps? Let's hear it!

Myself, I have a 12 string Krappy touchstyle beast. Left handed like my bad self, and tuned in the classic inverted fifths tuning. It has a GK-3 pickup which I run through a GR-33. I play usually through an EBS microbass and use a select few effcts in an attempt to sound like Tony Levin.

Reason being is my ongoing university project is a King Crimson tribute band... mental.

Really keen to know what other stickists use in the preamp department, as it's something that is becoming an issue for me. (The SFX SP2 is high on my list, but I'm looking around for any and all solutions.)

Now, back to ConstruKction of Light...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1327448122' post='1511583']
Bump! Calling Steve 'Stickman'!
[/quote]

You called? ;)

Yep, another Stick player here (and, probably not by coincidence, another King Crimson fan ;) ). Mine's a 10-string in Baritone Melody tuning - I've played around with a couple of different tunings over the years including a Crafty-esque tuning a la Trey Gunn. I've been through various bits of gear effects/amp-wise over the years, normally involving some sort of POD (I'm currently thinking about getting an X3 Live purely for convenience).

Here's a clip of me playing with Cynic, headlining Progpower in 2008:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe32t3O16IQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe32t3O16IQ[/url]

[quote name='prog_fiend' timestamp='1325797187' post='1488038']

Reason being is my ongoing university project is a King Crimson tribute band... mental.

[/quote]

I'd be interested in hearing that!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='RalphDWilson' timestamp='1328454897' post='1527247']
I'm intrigued by the Stick - I've seen the youtube stuff with Emmett Chapman, Rocket Scientists and Nick Beggs. It's just a lot of money to shell out to find that you're no good at it or don't have an affinity with it.

Anybody in West/Central Scotland with one who would let me have a go?
[/quote]

I know what you mean - I bought mine from someone I was at college with so was lucky enough to try it out first and see if it was for me.

You could try posting on [url="http://www.Stickist.com/"]http://www.Stickist.com/[/url] to see if there's anyone local to you.

[quote name='Stickman' timestamp='1329071916' post='1536806']
I know what you mean - I bought mine from someone I was at college with so was lucky enough to try it out first and see if it was for me.

You could try posting on [url="http://www.Stickist.com/"]http://www.Stickist.com/[/url] to see if there's anyone local to you.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion Steve,

cheers

Ralph

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Stickman' timestamp='1327513480' post='1512711']
You called? ;)

Yep, another Stick player here (and, probably not by coincidence, another King Crimson fan ;) ). Mine's a 10-string in Baritone Melody tuning - I've played around with a couple of different tunings over the years including a Crafty-esque tuning a la Trey Gunn. I've been through various bits of gear effects/amp-wise over the years, normally involving some sort of POD ([b]I'm currently thinking about getting an X3 Live purely for convenience[/b]).

Here's a clip of me playing with Cynic, headlining Progpower in 2008:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe32t3O16IQ[/media]
[/quote]

Cool clip! but couldn't hear the stick too well :(

If you want to try my POD X3 LIVE you are welcome to nip over with your stick mate.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1330437581' post='1557436']
Cool clip! but couldn't hear the stick too well :(

If you want to try my POD X3 LIVE you are welcome to nip over with your stick mate.
[/quote]

Ha, yeah I know - in the next few weeks I'm doing a play-along video for one of the tracks off the new Linear Sphere album so I'll be audible on that ;)

Yes please, that would be cool, let's arrange something when you're free.

[quote name='Stickman' timestamp='1330523395' post='1558793']
Ha, yeah I know - in the next few weeks I'm doing a play-along video for one of the tracks off the new Linear Sphere album so I'll be audible on that ;)

Yes please, that would be cool, let's arrange something when you're free.
[/quote]

Super! Looking forward to hearing that.

See you this evening mate.

• 4 weeks later...

The stick !!
A total freak of nature but but one of the coolest things ever created.

I remember sitting watching stick a player at Glastonbury in a random tent one day (I ended up missing most of Susan Vega......again!!)

I was transfixed....An amazing sounding instrument but by god i bet they take some real commitment to sound good.

• 3 months later...

Nice playing!

That looks just like my old Stick - I've got to get another one, it's my main priority at the moment. I can't decide whether to say with 10 strings or take the plunge & get a 12ver.

What pickup has that got - a Stickup? Definitely the best sounding of the options IMO. What gauge strings do you use for the baritone melody tuning?

Why did you settle on baritone melody BTW? It's the tuning that I'm thinking of going for but I'd just like to hear your opinion if that's OK.

Cheers Rhys. Dave Swift was selling his 12-string a couple of months back, I don't know if he's sold it yet but if you look for Jim Lampi on facebook he can put you in touch.

Yep, mine has got the stickup - I've not tried any of the others but from what I've heard the stickup seems to be the 'classic' Stick sound. The strings are heavy gauge, they're a little harder to bend but I prefer the sound of them for what I do.

For this track I had to lower the bass side a tone too so that I could get a low B but it doesn't feel quite as responsive so I may tune it back up. As for the melody side, I experimented with a few different tunings over the years but I settled on baritone as there was a nice crossover of pitches with the bass side so for the kind of 'interlocking' parts I like to play it works out nicely without my hands getting in the way of each other - I also found I was never using the higher notes.

[quote name='Stickman' timestamp='1341404687' post='1718368']
.....I also found I was never using the higher notes.
[/quote]

This is the very reason why I'm unsure about getting a 12 string Grand Stick - I found I didn't use the really high notes on my 10 string so I could well find the extra two string don't get used & I'd also have the narrower string spacing to contend with as well.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1341407393' post='1718456'] This is the very reason why I'm unsure about getting a 12 string Grand Stick - I found I didn't use the really high notes on my 10 string so I could well find the extra two string don't get used & I'd also have the narrower string spacing to contend with as well. [/quote]

Likewise, the narrower string spacing would definitely be an issue for me as I find the 10-string a bit tight sometimes, that's why I'd like to try a 10-string Grand one day. It would be nice to have an extra string under the left hand sometimes for chordal stuff but I've never missed it on the melody side.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've taken the leap into touchstyle with a 10 string Krappy. I'm currently looking at getting new strings for it. It's in Chapman tuning (which in itself confusing at first, but I think my brain is getting used to it).
Anyone give me any ideas on strings, or at least gauges, as I can't find anything on t'internet other than Möbius site.

Looking forward to making some horrid noises, and calling it prog jazz :-)

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1346700758' post='1792169']
It's in Chapman tuning (which in itself confusing at first, but I think my brain is getting used to it).
[/quote]

By "Chapman" tuning I assume you mean the "Classic" 10 string tuning (five melody strings in descending 4ths and five bass strings in ascending 5ths).
There are loads of different Chapman Stick tunings; the most common one these days is probably 12 string Matched Reciprocal.

Your best bet is to get in touch with Krappy & find out what they recommend.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1346702087' post='1792203']

By "Chapman" tuning I assume you mean the "Classic" 10 string tuning (five melody strings in descending 4ths and five bass strings in ascending 5ths).

THIS

Your best bet is to get in touch with Krappy & find out what they recommend.
[/quote]

Indeed I shall, thanks Rhys.

Ok, managed to get info from Kevin on gauges. He also sent me some scale, diatonic modes and chord diagrams when he realised I was a noobie! What a nice fella.

Bought some new strings, and have put them on. Need to tweak truss rod a bit to get a flatter board, but it's ok.

I'm approaching this as a completely different instrument, so it's going to be an interesting journey. I may post a "(slow) progress video blog"....or post it in the for sale section, depending how frustrated I get!

I found I started to make more progress when I began to think of my Stick as an instrument in its own right rather than a "bass or guitar with more strings".
The hardest part is trying to "unthink" your years of playing bass or guitar as the technique & feel involved with a tapping instrument is very different. The learning curve is pretty steep but I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun.

I'm hoping to have another Stick in my possession within the next six weeks or so - can't wait! :)

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1346700758' post='1792169']
Anyone give me any ideas on strings, or at least gauges, as I can't find anything on t'internet other than Möbius site.
[/quote]
I get my strings direct from Stick Enterprises. I [i]have[/i] used bass strings and the odd guitar string in an emergency but other than for the very outer strings on each side guitar strings just aren't long enough.

I've got a bunch of emails from Stick Ent. and Mark at Warr Guitar about gauges if you want me to find them?

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1347017912' post='1796024']
I found I started to make more progress when I began to think of my Stick as an instrument in its own right rather than a "bass or guitar with more strings".
[/quote]

+1!

[quote name='Stickman' timestamp='1347320113' post='1799416']

I get my strings direct from Stick Enterprises. I [i]have[/i] used bass strings and the odd guitar string in an emergency but other than for the very outer strings on each side guitar strings just aren't long enough.

I've got a bunch of emails from Stick Ent. and Mark at Warr Guitar about gauges if you want me to find them?

+1!
[/quote]

I basically bought a load of guitar strings at the gauges recommended by Kevin.
I've put the Krappy up for sale, with accompanying terrible video demonstrating that it exists and works.
But I might get some strings from Stck Enterprises, might make me change my mind.

Thanks.