Why become a member? ×

Other instruments

Doctor J

I earn my living making bagpipes and wooden flutes for folk music.[url="http://www.djallan.co.uk"]http://www.djallan.co.uk[/url]
I used to play pipes fairly seriously, but I find it hard play them these days without being back at work and wanting to make adjustments , take them apart and generally fiddle with them. I also have young children and found that I can practice un-plugged bass late at night but bagpipes...
I still play flute occasionally with my band and for Irish music in the pub.

In the school band while still a pup - Trumpet, English Horn, Eb and Bb Tuba, Euphonium

Then onto bass guitar and guitar

Then add Sax, Clarinet and Mandolin, but with less proficiency

Dabble also with the Flute and keys

And working on the singing too !

Pending; Cello, Violin and Banjo

Ps, anyone want to buy a Yamaha Trombone ?

Edited by essexbasscat

As you can see from the other thread I play guitar as well as bass. However for most of the 80s I was in an all synth band.

This is me on stage in 1986 with my customised Yamaha KX5 MIDI controller which I used to play a Casio CZ5000 synth.

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Mike-RR.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1325797811' post='1488050']
As you can see from the other thread I play guitar as well as bass. However for most of the 80s I was in an all synth band.

This is me on stage in 1986 with my customised Yamaha KX5 MIDI controller which I used to play a Casio CZ5000 synth.

[/quote]

Nice hair! ;)

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1325798537' post='1488074']
Mandolin, guitar & some banjo. Bass has always been my main instrument but I branched out for a while about 8yrs ago before returning *home* :)
[/quote]

Nice.. I got a Cammeyer Zither Banjo (dated around 1939 or earlier) for Christmas - currently getting my head round playing it. Mandolin is next on the list.

Can "Play" guitar. As in string together half a dozen chords. Started on bass, anything else is gravy. Can get a tune out of most things (even have a violin tucked away that I inherited when the School moved buildings).

As for me, I was a guitarist first. Got my first instrument (a crappy acoustic with the 2 bass strings missing) when I was 12. My dad tuned it to an open major chord (I'd like to say it was an E, but, er, I can't). I was hooked. From that day to this I've never been without a guitar of some description in my possession - 46 years and counting!

Although I've owned and used basses for nearly 20 years, it wasn't until 6 or 7 years ago that I started taking it properly seriously.

It's probably fair to say that despite having worked really hard at my bass playing in recent years, to the point where I didn't feel out of place in my last outfit (playing 'modern' Jazz - Mike Stern, Guthrie Govan, etc.), I still love to just sit and doodle around on one of my guitars - it's sort of a security blanket that helps me to realise in moments of self-doubt that there is something I'm good at. In fact it's so ingrained in my thinking that my bass technique is actually an extension of my guitar technique (except that I don't use picks).

Edit: I almost forgot - about a year ago I started on Banjo...... and it's coming along nicely, thanks for asking. Despite the Deliverance associations, it's actually quite a technical instrument that makes great demands of your picking hand in particular. Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong! :rolleyes:

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1325797811' post='1488050']

[/quote]

Were there any controls under your left hand or was that area purely for hanging on? Genuine question.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1325802132' post='1488154']
Were there any controls under your left hand or was that area purely for hanging on? Genuine question.
[/quote]

The "neck" has 4 controls. Starting furthest from the body they are:

1. Sustain button
2. Ribbon controller for pitch
3. Modulation wheel
4. Volume wheel

The buttons on the body were for program selection and transposing the keyboard to give a full 5 octave range.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1325800939' post='1488136']

It's probably fair to say that despite having worked really hard at my bass playing in recent years, to the point where I didn't feel out of place in my last outfit (playing 'modern' Jazz - Mike Stern, Guthrie Govan, etc.), I still love to just sit and doodle around on one of my guitars - it's sort of a security blanket that helps me to realise in moments of self-doubt that there is something I'm good at. In fact it's so ingrained in my thinking that my bass technique is actually an extension of my guitar technique (except that I don't use picks).

[/quote]
Growing up in chelmsford the best night out was at the jazz club where Guthrie and he guys were kinda like the house band. It was great.

I have a lovely 1987 Takamine EN10 and a Yamaha SG400 in need of being fixed up sat in my room currently. I can't really play them that well but it's fun to have, two might be two many guitars so one of them might eventually go. But fun to try and learn anyway

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1325805516' post='1488235']
Growing up in chelmsford the best night out was at the jazz club where Guthrie and he guys were kinda like the house band. It was great.

I have a lovely 1987 Takamine EN10 and a Yamaha SG400 in need of being fixed up sat in my room currently. I can't really play them that well but it's fun to have, two might be two many guitars so one of them might eventually go. But fun to try and learn anyway
[/quote]

Yeah, one of the guitar players in the band used to go down to see him every week (Thursday nights IIRC). His brother (whose name escapes me right now I'm ashamed to say), is an awesome bass player in his own right. Doesn't he have Dave Kilminster in his band these days?

As for the EN10, I've had one for years and it's an amazing instrument, just seems to deal with everything you throw at it. I love mine (battered as it is from use) to bits. When I bought it (£765), I chose it over a £1200 Fylde. Remarkable instrument and a real steal for what I paid for it.