Why become a member? ×

Tab for "Do I Do"

V4lve

Hi.

Does anyone know where I can get a bass tab for Steve Wonder's Do I Do.

Really inspired by this.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejj4y-aPC2E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejj4y-aPC2E[/url]

I can get the basic riff but the runs and stuff are too fast for me to follow.

I'm sure Nathan detunes his bass by a semitone. I guess that's why there's the discrepancy between the TAB and the notation. I'm sure Bass player magazine say to detune.

I've got a transcription somewhere that I did a few years ago and it's pretty much the same as in the magazine, as played being the same as 'as heard'.

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1325791421' post='1487873']
I'm sure Nathan detunes his bass by a semitone. I guess that's why there's the discrepancy between the TAB and the notation. I'm sure Bass player magazine say to detune.

I've got a transcription somewhere that I did a few years ago and it's pretty much the same as in the magazine, as played being the same as 'as heard'.
[/quote]

Nathan detunes his bass for everything, something to do with getting a Hendrix vibe.

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1325791421' post='1487873']

[/quote]

Consider this, you de-tune your bass as indicated and then play along with the notation - you would sound a semitone lower than the recording. That's why the notation should be written up a semitone.

[quote name='Joebass' timestamp='1325794196' post='1487950']
Consider this, you de-tune your bass as indicated and then play along with the notation - you would sound a semitone lower than the recording. That's why the notation should be written up a semitone.
[/quote]

Well no, it's the TAB that says to detune, I'm sure the strings are labelled Eb/Ab/Db/Gb. You play the notation as written E is E, A is A, Bb is Bb etc.

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1325795166' post='1487970']
Well no, it's the TAB that says to detune, I'm sure the strings are labelled Eb/Ab/Db/Gb. You play the notation as written E is E, A is A, Bb is Bb etc.
[/quote]

No, that's completely wrong. Check out any song in a transcription book that features down-tuned guitars. The notation is ALWAYS transposed so that you can read it on a transposed instrument and sound at the correct pitch.

Here's an example: [url="http://www.onlinesheetmusic.com/get-the-funk-out-p382346.aspx"]http://www.onlinesheetmusic.com/get-the-funk-out-p382346.aspx[/url]

Edited by Joebass

[quote name='Joebass' timestamp='1325795321' post='1487975']
No, that's completely wrong. Check out any song in a transcription book that features down-tuned guitars. The notation is ALWAYS transposed so that you can read it on a transposed instrument and sound at the correct pitch.

Here's an example: [url="http://www.onlinesheetmusic.com/get-the-funk-out-p382346.aspx"]http://www.onlineshe...ut-p382346.aspx[/url]
[/quote]

I bow to your superior knowledge, and can't be bothered to argue :D . But I'd be well annoyed if I arrived on a gig and had to down tune to play a chart for a song.
I have played lots of charts, a lot of Stevie Wonder songs too. Most of my gigs involve reading, and they've always been written out as heard. I have the chart for 'I wish' in front of me now, key signature is Eb minor, notated as played and heard.

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1325796932' post='1488024']
I bow to your superior knowledge, and can't ber songs toe bothered to argue :D . But I'd be well annoyed if I arrived on a gig and had to down tune to play a chart for a song.
I have played lots of charts, a lot of Stevie Wondo. Most of my gigs involve reading, and they've always been written out as heard. I have the chart for 'I wish' in front of me now, key signature is Eb minor, notated as played and heard.
[/quote]

You're right, you'd never see a chart on a gig that you would have to down-tune for but that's a different matter altogether - we're talking about a note for note transcription of a particular performance intended to be played as closely to the original as possible. Not a working chart intended for sight reading on a gig.

[quote name='Joebass' timestamp='1325795321' post='1487975']

Here's an example: [url="http://www.onlinesheetmusic.com/get-the-funk-out-p382346.aspx"]http://www.onlineshe...ut-p382346.aspx[/url]
[/quote]

That really surprises me. I get that TAB takes into account tuning differences, but it surprises me that notation does the same.

It makes sense (to a point) if all the strings are tuned down the same amount (i.e a half step so you're playing all flats on open strings) but what about when they aren't tuned evenly, i.e drop D or some of the open tunings guitar players use?

Not trying to troll just genuinely interested as that really surprises me.

Ta.

[quote name='gilmour' timestamp='1325863615' post='1489027']
That really surprises me. I get that TAB takes into account tuning differences, but it surprises me that notation does the same.

It makes sense (to a point) if all the strings are tuned down the same amount (i.e a half step so you're playing all flats on open strings) but what about when they aren't tuned evenly, i.e drop D or some of the open tunings guitar players use?

Not trying to troll just genuinely interested as that really surprises me.

Ta.
[/quote]

The notation is only transposed when the bass/guitar is tuned relatively to standard tuning. For example, D tuning is standard tuning down 1 tone, If the notation wasn't transposed you'd read a C, and have to play a D which can get very confusing. Transposing the notation up 1 tone eliminates this step and you can read as if playing an instrument in standard tuning.

Other tunings, such as drop D or G tuning on the guitar, are written at concert as these cannot be related to standard tuning.

[quote name='Joebass' timestamp='1325877326' post='1489343']
The notation is only transposed when the bass/guitar is tuned relatively to standard tuning. For example, D tuning is standard tuning down 1 tone, If the notation wasn't transposed you'd read a C, and have to play a D which can get very confusing. Transposing the notation up 1 tone eliminates this step and you can read as if playing an instrument in standard tuning.

Other tunings, such as drop D or G tuning on the guitar, are written at concert as these cannot be related to standard tuning.
[/quote]

Interesting, Ta.

Is that the same for horns?

• 1 year later...

JustinBass, Change the file extention to .PDF and it should become readable. Do I Do is a killer and I'm a [b]tad[/b] frustrated that I've just found the notation after learning it by ear! (Hey, good practice though!) Master blaster is also in 1/2 step down tuning, and so's superstition as well. Either the Stevie Wonder tracks were written in Eb, Nathan Watts wanted to have that more 'natural' feeling- where he can just strike that Eb at the end of that insane riff, or the looser tension on the strings seemed to suit his playing style more. I suspect it's a mixture of all three!

Edited by Joshua Higginson