Why become a member? ×

String Life

Alpha-Dave

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='17301' date='Jun 14 2007, 12:28 AM']As I use half rounds I change them about once a year whether they need it or not. even when I was gigging lots I still only changed them once a year. When I was using rounds some of them went [Fly a Kite] after the first gig.

As for Elixirs, as they are coated with Gore-Tex I would recommend washing them with something like Nikwax, designed for washing Gore-Tex clothes.[/quote]

hmm, nice idea, i'll have to give that a try as mine are looking a bit grubby over the pickup and on the lower end of the neck. :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='17301' date='Jun 14 2007, 12:28 AM']As I use half rounds I change them about once a year whether they need it or not. even when I was gigging lots I still only changed them once a year. When I was using rounds some of them went [Fly a Kite] after the first gig.

As for Elixirs, as they are coated with Gore-Tex I would recommend washing them with something like Nikwax, designed for washing Gore-Tex clothes.[/quote]

hmm, nice idea, i'll have to give that a try as mine are looking a bit grubby over the pickup and on the lower end of the neck. :)

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='17392' date='Jun 14 2007, 09:57 AM']I bought my bass in 1981. It still has the same strings on it now!

:)[/quote]

No way, you're kidding!!!!

I use a quick wipe of Fast Fret before and after playing, seems to lift a little sweat and grime, Rotosound never last that long for me anyway.

I noticed Kiwi uses D'Addario steels, how do get on with them Kiwi? Just I was thinking of maybe trying the super bright set.

And do people treat stainless steel strings differently to nickel? I personally cannot stand the sound of dead strings and like them to sound as new and fresh as possible. The sound of fresh nickel strings being slapped is a joy :)

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='17392' date='Jun 14 2007, 09:57 AM']I bought my bass in 1981. It still has the same strings on it now!

:)[/quote]

26 years old !?!

Erm ... does that mean you take them off every so often and give them a wipe along with the fret board, or give them a dust while still tuned or that you've never cleaned them or the fret board ever?

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='16938' date='Jun 13 2007, 03:13 PM']We have an ultrasound cleaner at work that's supposed to remove any gunk from anything, so I'm toying with the idea of sticking a set in there to see if it actually cleans them or not.[/quote]

I tried doing that using an ultrasonic water bath - it cleaned the strings up lovely but the ultrasonic vibration had the same effect as ten years of playing - they were dead as roadkill. Jamerson probably would have liked them though.

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='17466' date='Jun 14 2007, 11:20 AM']26 years old !?!

Erm ... does that mean you take them off every so often and give them a wipe along with the fret board, or give them a dust while still tuned or that you've never cleaned them or the fret board ever?[/quote]

I give em a post-gig wipe occasionally but never take them off.

:)

Who mentioned Metallurgy???? I have two degrees in metallurgy..

..the issue with strings is nothing to do with the metal, it's the gunge (bits of finger!) that they get clogged up with. I used to clean mine in an ultrasonic bath with meths, works fine, takes them back to almost new. Boiling them will do nothing much in my opinion and the water getting into the inner windings might be detrimental. In theory if you can get them as clean as they were when new, they should sound exactly the same, the metal doesn't know how old it is, nor remembers for how long it's been played, they act of plucking, no matter how hard, will not change the string as the tension is well within the elastic limit. The actual chemistry of the metal will not be exactly the same though and this might make one string sound slightly different to the next... actually, with metal prices the way they are at the moment, I reckon that the manufacturers will be changing alloys or working to the bottom of the chemistry spec to make the alloy cheaper anyway. As far as strings are concerned "stainless steel" is "stainless steel", it never states if it's 316, 304 etc etc... basically they can change whatever they like within reason and they don't have to tell anyone.

I thought for ages about approaching the string manufacturers and blagging some strings out of them in the name of "research". As for them being able to develop new strings that would last longer? I think we might be giving them a little bit more credit than they deserve.. they will neither have the facilities to do the neccessary research, nor would they want to I reckon.

Richard
VASQUEZ

[quote name='dlloyd' post='17764' date='Jun 14 2007, 06:20 PM']Dear dlloyd,
Type 430 stainless is a ferritic stainless steel or to be more precise
chrome iron. It is the material used for all stainless steel strings as it
is magnetic and will respond in a magnetic field due to it having an 80%
iron content. True stainless steel is austenitic 18/8 ie. 18% chrome and 8%
nickel. It is not magnetic and of no use for making music strings that work
with magnetic pickups. Not all type 430 wire is nickel free albeit not high.
The material we use is not American. It is of a much higher order and sound
and contains no nickel.
Swing Bass stainless sets should prove no problem for players with a nickel
allergy.
Regards,
John[/quote]

Hmmm... chrome iron? True stainless steel? American? Much higher order? No nickel... ? If I were dead picky...

[quote name='Muppet' post='16919' date='Jun 13 2007, 02:49 PM']I've got a Japanese bike - is there something I should know? Should I be changing it every three months? :huh:[/quote]

MB1. :)

We know a song about that, dont we katy! (melua)

[quote name='Vasquez Rich' post='17757' date='Jun 14 2007, 06:06 PM']Who mentioned Metallurgy???? I have two degrees in metallurgy..

..the issue with strings is nothing to do with the metal, it's the gunge (bits of finger!) that they get clogged up with. I used to clean mine in an ultrasonic bath with meths, works fine, takes them back to almost new. Boiling them will do nothing much in my opinion and the water getting into the inner windings might be detrimental. In theory if you can get them as clean as they were when new, they should sound exactly the same, the metal doesn't know how old it is, nor remembers for how long it's been played, they act of plucking, no matter how hard, will not change the string as the tension is well within the elastic limit. The actual chemistry of the metal will not be exactly the same though and this might make one string sound slightly different to the next... actually, with metal prices the way they are at the moment, I reckon that the manufacturers will be changing alloys or working to the bottom of the chemistry spec to make the alloy cheaper anyway. As far as strings are concerned "stainless steel" is "stainless steel", it never states if it's 316, 304 etc etc... basically they can change whatever they like within reason and they don't have to tell anyone.

I thought for ages about approaching the string manufacturers and blagging some strings out of them in the name of "research". As for them being able to develop new strings that would last longer? I think we might be giving them a little bit more credit than they deserve.. they will neither have the facilities to do the neccessary research, nor would they want to I reckon.

Richard
VASQUEZ[/quote]

Ive got this pan ive previously used to boil strings in,you really wouldnt want to do your veg in it,brighter ,for a while longer if you stick em in the cooker after boiling, to dry out.make sure you tell her indoors though as pizza and strings is not recomended.

MB1.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='17205' date='Jun 13 2007, 09:04 PM']I keep a spare set of TI flat in my cables bag and always make sure I order a set whenever I buy a new bass. My oldest set is probably about six years old and still going strong.[/quote]
Not quite six years yet in my case but, otherwise, +1. TI Jazz Flats just keep getting better.

And didn't Jaco say that a little nose grease was good to take away the zing of Roto66s?

And didn't Jamerson say the funk was in the dirt?

Unless you've got a string deal, stop changing them - you are only giving your money away. :)

What dirt are we talking about from mr jameson?.mind you it would explain why he was a studio musician,also gives new meaning to The Brown Bass!.

p.s jacos fave was chicken grease,not nasal!.rub an oily chicken on your fretless before you go gig,works a treat!.

MB1.

When I was gigging 5 times a week back in the 80's I used Rotosound RS 66's and changed them once every 1 to 2 weeks to keep that brightness and snap. Also the cost was regarded as a band expense. They were about Aus$35 a set in them days.
At close to Aus$60 a set now and the fact that I do about 4 shows a month and have to pay for them myself I have had to find alternatives

I was (and still am) very impressed with webstrings stainless strings I find that they stay brighter longer than the Rotosounds and at US$11 a set they are amazing value

Sorry to sound like an endorsee but even if I started playing for a liviing again I think I would stick with these strings

The other cheapies that I liked were the Warwick Red sets. I tried the Warwick Yellow which were dearer but the Reds seemed to last longer and stay brighter

[url="http://www.webstrings.com/electric_bass_strings_detroit-stainless.html"]www.webstrings.com[/url]

[quote name='Vasquez Rich' post='17757' date='Jun 14 2007, 06:06 PM']... In theory if you can get them as clean as they were when new, they should sound exactly the same, the metal doesn't know how old it is, nor remembers for how long it's been played, they act of plucking, no matter how hard, will not change the string as the tension is well within the elastic limit...[/quote]

I think I'm plucking too hard then. All my strings die a Hookean death somewhere in their plastic region. I've got a set of Elixirs which are tangibly sagging on my Ibanez!