Why become a member? ×

Pete The Fish (Wal) RIP

Sibob

Sad news indeed. I just agreed a deal (I think) on a 1981 fretless today which will undoubtedly have passed though his hands. At least his legacy lives on in the beautiful instruments being made by Wal under Paul Herman.

Edited by Clarky

Very sorry to hear the news. I met him a few times, and he was always a pleasure to talk with...and he did a great renovation job on an older Pro bass for me (something many other companies wouldn't bother with). Best wishes to Paul and the new Wal enterprise...that's some good news, at least.

Edit for crap spelling....

Edited by BassBod

Pete was a great bloke, had the chance to have lunch with him down in HW at the local snooker club. He reconditioned my tired wal Mach one custom that I picked up on ebay for £ 425, this was back in 1998. He only charged me £150 for the work which was an amazing deal, it was like new again and he told me the history of the bass which had been owned by one guy in scotland for over 14 years. I wish i never sold that bass, RIP Pete x

Pete

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1325272432' post='1481661']
I knew Pete for 22 years and spent many happy hours at the workshop(s) and snooker club. A genuine, lovely, talented man. I will miss him very much, but both he and Wal leave a wonderful legacy in the instruments they gave to us.
[/quote]
+1

Well said Gareth!

Like many here, i met Pete lots of times at the workshop(s) in High Wycombe starting way back in 1983 when I got my first Wal (that was a lovely bass that was..).

Stories abound about how many times he repaired, restored, upgraded and worked on so many Wals long after he and Ian Waller had first made them. And usually all that work was done for only a token payment in return. It really was lifetime customer care!

Pete and Ian respected their customers and made real friends of a lot of them and I think that's got as much to do with the amazing legacy that surrounds the instruments, as much as their uniqueness of design and tone and fantastic build quality, which of course was Pete's department..

RIP Pete.

Thank you - you did us all proud!

(P.S. if anyone hears news of the funeral and a collection, I'd be very keen to know and send something)

A genuinely lovely man and a horribly sad loss to the world of the bass guitar. I had the good fortune to meet him on a number of occasions, and I too got treated to the joys of the snooker club!

I do remember though that he was a very heavy smoker, and the last time I saw him (which would have been around 2006 - 7) he didn't look a well man then.

This is sad news indeed.

Pete, through the bass he made for me back in 1983, undoubtedly and fundamentally shaped my life making music and news of his passing is really very sad. My beloved Mk1 fretless custom sitting in the corner as I type suddenly looks just a little bit more special this evening. RIP Pete.

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Very sad news. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I visited Pete several times over the years. He did some small maintenance jobs on my Wal and never accepted payment. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]He was a great guy and a serious player in the history of the electric bass.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=Arial] [/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]

As usual, I used my Wal Custom at a gig tonight. It sounded particularly special. The acoustics of the room were just right, and my bass sang its heart out, and my heart almost bursts with pride knowing that I have now owned one of these beautiful things for almost 28 years,.custom built for me.
I will use it again tomorrow, and the next day. The other basses will just have to sit it out on the bench, this is the Pele of the bass world we're talking about!

eternally grateful to Wal and Pete.