Why become a member? ×

Booking Gigs For Your Band...

Low End Bee

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1325100054' post='1479892']
We're struggling to get venues to commit..............maybe cos our drummer now says we don't play anywhere for less than £250
[/quote]

A band local to me tried to get £400 a gig, and went from gigging regularly, to seldom.....

We're struggling to get venues to commit..............maybe cos our drummer now says we don't play anywhere for less than £250
[/quote]

That depends on whether venues are taking the piss.

My band have dropped a few venues over the last couple of years because they're rammed when we play, empty when some of the other bands play, yet would rather have a crap band and an empty pub than pay a little extra and reap the rewards over the bar.

I hasten to add that these are pubs that offer a fixed amount for the first gig, then promise an increase if they want to re-book.
They then stall at offering the promised increased amount.

So maybe your drummer is guarded against venues that try to take advantage?

Its only when people in the band who havent previously booked gigs for the band give it a go, they find out just how difficult it is!

Its not easy at all - we try and shy away from pub gigs nowadays thanks to the uselessness of the majority of venues - a lot really are clueless, but there are some good ones out there,

Im afraid in my opinion its less about the band and how good you are, and more about how well you sell and market yourself nowadays that gets you the gigs.

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1325180318' post='1480686']
Its only when people in the band who havent previously booked gigs for the band give it a go, they find out just how difficult it is!

Its not easy at all - we try and shy away from pub gigs nowadays thanks to the uselessness of the majority of venues - a lot really are clueless, but there are some good ones out there,

Im afraid in my opinion its less about the band and how good you are, and more about how well you sell and market yourself nowadays that gets you the gigs.
[/quote]

Well..yes, but lets not kid ourselves... we are playing pubs to sell beer...and if a crap band can do that better that anyone else, they'll get booked and paid better...likely enough..

The going rate around here for pub bands is £200-300 for 2x45's... I don't include pubs that pay less as they haven't got their act together, IMO.

Times are tough but pull an audience..any how you can...and the pub will love you.
Of course, Landlords might prefer this music or that..but its also Business... and that comes first even more so now. .

We are pretty new but we have gotten past the " have you got an audience" question as people have heard enough about us ( mostly ) but pubs baulk if you get too cheeky with the price.

My "main" lot it's me & the drummer - though he seems to have let that go to rebooking existing gigs for next year. He's now in a funk band as well where someone else books and is getting plenty of work.

I can only assume we (the main band) are sh1te as I cannot seem to get us arrested for new gigs and have frankly rather lost the will with the BS that's involved. Ring, get a contact, send a CD & blurb (well it's a live CD, but fair quality IMO and better than sending a studio CD that's been polished to within an inch of its life and proves nothing re actually recreating it live - again IMO) give it a week or so, ring, to follow up, "not there", "not listened yet", get that run around for a few more calls and then sink back into "AH F**KIT" mode I'm afraid. Ringing back at 10:30-11 in the morning is also awkward for me as I am also at work then

Probably explains why I am now working with three other bands where I just turn up and play. Some doing more than others, but its work, and has got me past chucking it all together - which I had been feeling like for a while. I wish I could get the other to give it a go, they've all got access to the Google Calendar.

Wish I hadn't opened this thread up now. It's opened woulds and depressed me.

It's a ****er isn't it WalMan.
My strategy this year is to con someone into being our 'manager' as an extremely unrewarding, low paid hobby.
Failing that I will go back to what has worked before.
A promo pack to show venues. Samples of flyers and posters we have produced for previous gigs, a two track sampler CD, a nice graphical page with snippets of positive reviews (you can make some or all of these up ;) ) stating how nice it was to see our band in a packed venue topped off with a business card.
I always physically take these in to a venue then ask to see the boss or try at the very least engage
the bar staff in conversation and get them to pass it on.
It's aggro and hard work but it seems to do the trick. It's even got an originals band like us in pubs.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1325183159' post='1480732']
I've never had a pub ask if we have an audience when I'm talking to them about bookings.... unless you are on about original material.... in which case it's probably more relevant
[/quote]

When was the last time you tried to sell a new band venture to a pub that might not have heard of you...?
I'd think it is quite a pertinent question.

Basically, the LL will want you to fill his pub... he will have his regulars but he will want a band to bring 20-30.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1325247801' post='1481268']
When was the last time you tried to sell a new band venture to a pub that might not have heard of you...?
I'd think it is quite a pertinent question.

Basically, the LL will want you to fill his pub... he will have his regulars but he will want a band to bring 20-30.
[/quote]

are we talking original bands ? Never been asked this with any covers band I've played with

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1325280041' post='1481804']
I've just started researching pubs in edinburgh for gigs, and it looks like a lot of the same bands do the venues. How do you break in? money? murder?
[/quote]

Murder is probably extreme, just a good kicking to front man will do.

Failing that, play for less than the rest......... just be aware they may give out the beatings if they find out :lol:

All tongue in cheek - just keep trying and once one accepts you, the others will fall in line!

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1325280631' post='1481815']
Murder is probably extreme, just a good kicking to front man will do.

Failing that, play for less than the rest......... just be aware they may give out the beatings if they find out :lol:

All tongue in cheek - just keep trying and once one accepts you, the others will fall in line!
[/quote]

just to clarify, I was joking about the murder thing, forgot to chuck in a :P. though Jonathan Creek is giving me some ideas...;)
cheers tho :D

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1325248354' post='1481273']
are we talking original bands ? Never been asked this with any covers band I've played with
[/quote]

Cover bands.

When we first formed we were asked a lot. Most of the units I was out with before, I never gave gigs a second thought, if I was available, I'd do them, so actually hassling for gigs was completely alien.
Once you get a foot in and do well enough, you have pubs coming to you, but getting gigs in 2011 is a completely different set of rules, venues, landlords.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1325350126' post='1482423']
Cover bands.

When we first formed we were asked a lot. Most of the units I was out with before, I never gave gigs a second thought, if I was available, I'd do them, so actually hassling for gigs was completely alien.
Once you get a foot in and do well enough, you have pubs coming to you, but getting gigs in 2011 is a completely different set of rules, venues, landlords.
[/quote]

Well..... we never seem to be asked the questions..... maybe the promotion we do is enough to instil confidence.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1325603532' post='1484963']
I hate that the bigger Clubs that have original acts on want a fairly decent Demo CD.

Forgetting that we are all too poor to afford even something half decent, and that almost any chum can record something.
[/quote]

I think it is a good idea ultimately as it should help keep the standard up...and therefore it will be better for you if you can get in at that standard.

If you need to sell yourself you have to play the game... but once you have gotten through those doors, then it is all BS..tbh..
CD's, website, marketing...?? who needs it..!! but for this to be true..you need the venue seeking you out.

Personally...wouldn't bother with a CD...just a few live decent mp3's at a decent gig should tell them all they need to know.
It is all about getting and maintaining that 'credibility'

but what works, works..

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1325280041' post='1481804'] I've just started researching pubs in edinburgh for gigs, and it looks like a lot of the same bands do the venues. How do you break in? money? murder? [/quote]

We have the same problem over here in Fife.
As our previous incarnation we had quite a lot of gigs, since we rebranded, for the want of a better phrase, we have struggled, yet we get better reviews, a bigger and better set/pa/lights etc. None of us can seem to put our finger on it. It seems like the pubs are sticking to the tried and tested week in week out!

[/quote]

We've found that most venues will pay you decent cash for turning up and entertaining the locals. We decided a few years ago that we won't go out for less than £250 and since then the let down of rubbish gigs and empty rooms seem to have dried up.

If you make the effort to go these places, do a great job and be polite to them they'll generally be happy, will re-book you and you find its a win-win situation.

I used to get the arse all the time having to be the ones booking all of our gigs, but it gets easier each year. In the last few years I've taken our diary with us to every gig and then towards the end of a year the venues will be asking me when they can have us for the next year so we haven't actually had to do any calling around. By October just gone we already had 38 gigs booked for 2012, plus a handful of weddings, all of which are off the back of the pub gigs.

A band I know phoned one of the pubs we play at and actually moaned at the booker for not giving them as many gigs as us. Funnily enough the booker told them to sling their hook and they now have none at the pub. I think people sometimes need to realise its us who need the pubs, not the other way round. Manners cost nothing, and its surprising how many bands seem to think they're owed gigs, which I find astonishing.

One annoying thing I have found though recently is a certain pub chains' discrepancy with how much they'll pay you, seems to depend on which pub you visit, it can range from £250 up to £400 which seems crazy in my opinion. Some of them have taken bands like us at a cheap rate for first gig and then upped it once they realised we werent a bunch of monkeys, but generally its a really varied rate of pay depending on which pub you turn up at.

I hate that the bigger Clubs that have original acts on want a fairly decent Demo CD.

Forgetting that we are all too poor to afford even something half decent, and that almost any chum can record something.
[/quote]

IMO this isn't about having the money to spend but about proving you have commitment. There are plenty of ways of getting a decent sounding recording on a limited or even non-existent budget if you use your initiative and your contacts. A band who can find ways of overcoming these hurdles are far more attractive to a venue because it shows that they have the drive to want to make something of themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

[/quote]

In my experience the quality of the tracks attract more than the quality of the recording. Obviously just dumping down a shoddy looking product will put a lot of promoters off but that's an easy obstacle. There's several bands/artists from Leeds that have not only scored some 'big' gigs but management and deals from demos that are raw to say the least.