Why become a member? ×

Bass bash-- Top gig!

The Burpster

Looks like a smashing Day...... I hope Nicko wasn't too full on with his thunder thumbs :)

oooh me horns !!!

I rekon a North East Bass Bass is a must in the summer, even if I have to organise it !!!

Choice of amps may well be a little limited up here mind, DB750's all round !!

Excellent day out, throughly enjoyed it. Woot! to my raffle win!!!

[quote name='skywalker' post='166511' date='Mar 30 2008, 08:07 PM']There is a plan for a bash somewhere Nottinghamish sometime, I will check and let you know.

Steve[/quote]

Steve, Mrs Moody has been given a task of seeing if we can use a room at NCN, she's calling me later on today.

Hi All

Not much I can add to all this, great day, blessed with nice weather so we could rest our ears from time to time.

Thanks to Lukeward for the explanation of the bass pod (way too advanced for me), Mart for sarnies, Rog for letting me have a go on the upright, and everyone else for great company and a great time.

I promised someone that I would let him have some web addresses from where jazz chord charts could be downloaded, and I hate to say that I have forgotten among the sea of faces who it was. Let me know if it was you, I'll PM them over.

Steve

[quote name='WalMan' post='166659' date='Mar 31 2008, 12:19 AM'] - Arriving, or not as the case may be[/quote]

I'm glad that you weren't the only ones with misbehaving satnavs. Did you arrive in that quaint little village with the big green also?

Great day... once I got there! I was more than surprised with those Vigiers!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='166760' date='Mar 31 2008, 10:22 AM']I'm glad that you weren't the only ones with misbehaving satnavs. Did you arrive in that quaint little village with the big green also?[/quote]

A cunning ploy by the village garage sale organisers to get us to spend our money there I recokon :)

[quote name='Moody' post='166730' date='Mar 31 2008, 09:19 AM']Steve, Mrs Moody has been given a task of seeing if we can use a room at NCN, she's calling me later on today.[/quote]

Excellent news. I that'll be the buildings in the Lace Market?

Edit: you read your other post - so it's at 'campus' at the bottom of Sherwood Rise - even better. With regards the pub, the Grosvenor was in the middle of refurbishment. They do however have a room that is hireable upstairs that might make a suitable site for post bash live music? (my band played there last year).

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Moody' post='166835' date='Mar 31 2008, 01:09 PM']No probs dude, I completely forgot tbh - I so want to try your little box of tricks out![/quote]

I'll be recording samples of the LoMenzo through the ABM this week so you will still get to hear it :).

After some reflection - here are my favourites:
Basses: peds fretted Vigier / tonyf's Flea / the Peavey Grind 6 BXP hiding in the corner..
Rigs: Luke's POD Pro XT / Epifani cab - that synth was killer

Alas, I tried a couple of Shukers and was impressed, although didn't feel comfortable with them. Could never take something so shiny and expensive to a gig !

[quote name='Johngh' post='166481' date='Mar 30 2008, 07:30 PM']What a great day and a teriffic bash, well done to Ped and all the mods for putting it on. It was great to see you all again, thanks to Woodenshirt for laying on the free sandwiches as well. GAS has set in again now Oh dear ![/quote]
+1
Well done guys and thanks Woodenshirt for the snacks, our lunch, our dinner on the way home and my breakfast this morning!!! :huh: Not sure I could ever eat a sandwich again but your generosity was nothing short of amazing!!

Overall, I had a great day and a real good laugh travelling there and back with WalMan and Merton and thanks Al for doing all the driving! Your navigator on the other hand needs her circuits re-testing... Still, we only got lost 3 times, so that's good I'd say for mere 'bassists'!

It was great to meet everyone, catch up with friends made at last year's SE Bass Bash and make some new friends and as much as the basses and the gear is important, I also think the 'basschat community' bit counts for a lot. Meeting The Burpster, Owen and Alex who've helped me out recently with advice and bits of hard to find kit, was just brilliant! Good to see the Beedster there too, albeit very briefly.

And of course, there were some seriously GAS-inducing gear around.. Highlights for me were:

Jimbo's Sadowsky + Mesa Boogie 400 head
Loweringthetone's Wal-a-like and Ibanez Musican 8 string (great fun :))
Birdy's Bergantino Rig
Merton's Status Groove 5
Luke's Warwick Streamer 5 (again..)
Rich's Suker

I just wish I'd had time to try out more stuff and talk to more people.. Here's a few pics I took on the camcorder - not such great quality - but hopefully they caught the mood a little...

[attachment=7146:Rich__s_Suker.JPG]
Rich's Suker
[attachment=7147:CK__Luke___Dood.JPG]
CK, Luke & Dood
[attachment=7148:Luke_war...e_shot__.JPG]
Lukeward.. mean looking profile shot!!!
[attachment=7149:Lowering..._Mustang.JPG]
Colin's vintage gear for sale outside...
[attachment=7150:Merton_p...Sadowsky.JPG]
Merton playing Jimbo's Sadowsky

By the way, I've got some video footage to upload but never done it before, so if anyone can tell me how to do that please, I'll try and load it up tonight?
Looking forward to the next one and an SE Bash in autumn!

Cheers

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='166840' date='Mar 31 2008, 01:16 PM']Overall, I had a great day and a real good laugh travelling there and back with WalMan and Merton and thanks Al for doing all the driving! Your navigator on the other hand needs her circuits re-testing... Still, we only got lost 3 times, so that's good I'd say for mere 'bassists'![/quote]
Looks like Diedre wasn't the only sat nav who got it [i]COMPLETELY[/i] wrong :huh: We went round lots of roundabouts two or three times & were in fact within a few hundred yards of the venue a couple of times before looping another roundabout & heading back to Northampton (where there was a different Weedon Rd). Then Mert wondered if we left at the right junction. Included a call to OBBM during our travels. (I'm just making excuses now :) )
[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='166840' date='Mar 31 2008, 01:16 PM']By the way, I've got some video footage to upload but never done it before, so if anyone can tell me how to do that please, I'll try and load it up tonight?[/quote]
Nik try setting up a YouTube account & posting it there

Al

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='166840' date='Mar 31 2008, 01:16 PM']By the way, I've got some video footage to upload but never done it before, so if anyone can tell me how to do that please, I'll try and load it up tonight?
Looking forward to the next one and an SE Bash in autumn!

Cheers

Nik[/quote]

Nice to meet you Nik

Put the vid up on Youtube .. It's easy.

Unfortunately I missed out this time around as I was recording. But I still bought a couple of tickets to support the event and get in with a shout of some top prizes. I'm guessing the winners have already been announced? :-/

Good to hear that it was an awesome bash though.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='166876' date='Mar 31 2008, 01:58 PM']Likewise!

Seems like WalMan and you agree, so YouTube it will be..[/quote]

If you use the tags bit you can draw traffic to basschat, specially if you use the exotic gear names in the tags, Vigier, Bergantino, Shuker :) etc ..
Also in the comments put the url (with the http:// bit) and it will link in and make it easier for people who accidentally happen across the films to find BC with just a single click

WOW!!!

What a brilliant day. I was still buzzing when I was trying to get to sleep later in the eve. I was totally knackered but I had such a great time I couldn't chill out!

It was brilliant to meet so many people - lots of friends from previous meets and lots of new ones. Because I was doing the raffle I could find out lots of peoples names which was great, otherwise I find it a bit awkward to ask someone their 'username', sounds a bit perverted doesn't it?

I was REALLY touched by everyones generosity - both in buying tickets and in donations to the Basschat raffle. The prizes were well worth entering for, and a massive thanks to RichardH for organising the raffle from the outset. There were a good mix of winners - about half of whom had bought tickets via paypal due to non attendance or some others who couldn't stay until the draw, which happened at about 3.30. I will PM everyone who won this evening and let you know when to look out for your prizes (I will be posting them all FOC)

There was definitely a great mixture of gear, players and styles, tastes and beard size at the bash. It was superb to have a mixture of players, retailers, designers and luthiers present, something I hope we can increase in the future. It all breeds a great community atmosphere which I know makes the forum a much nicer place to be.

On a personal note I was really glad to see people enjoying my basses, it is unusual to be able to hear someone else playing your instrument so you can have a proper listen. Some of the talent at the show was fearsome.

Great to meet you all again and here's to the next bash. I think the venue was JUST about big enough but next time I think we would do better hiring a confrence room nearby because any more gear and we wouldn't fit in. URB mentioned something about having a larger room and more seperation or even baffles between some equipment so we can hear ourselves a bit better. Having said that, I didn't find the noise too loud this year, but I was buzzing all day!

Highlights for me:
-The raffle was really fun, glad I din't totally mess it up..
-Having a meal with Alien, Kiwi, Guiguite, Mewsie and Lukeward, very nice
-Meeting good old John East again and having a natter about this and that
-Seeing Nick (doctor_of_the_bass) and checking out his collection - the Pangborn with the knackered leccy and the Arpege were fabulous!
-Luke's Epi 3x10 cab - good to be able to compare it to my own amplifier as we use the same pre-amp and he has my old bass (loved it, GAS)
-Urb's fretless and Sei bass were stunning, also great to finally meet. Congrats on Egor by the way ;0)
-Amazed to see how far people travelled, thanks a lot guys. Good show. Also well done Ari for hacking the adjacent travel lodge
-Lots of individuals I spoke to through the day - a superb way to spend a Sunday. Met lots of regular forumites and some brand new ones!
-Great to see you agin Robbie (RIM) and to see Alex's bass

Finally huge thanks to everyone who helped organise and make the day what it was. The sarnies were a VERY kind gesture. Thanks Matt for folding all the raffle ticket stubs without too much fuss ;0)

Everyone who came deserves a pat on the back for making the day.

Cheers
ped

It was a great day out, so who nicked my Padded Warwick gig bag. Someone picked it up by accident for sure, I dont remember putting it in the raffle :)

If any of you guys have it, it has a brown strap in the front pocket with Jim Dunlop flushmount straplocks on it.

All the same me and Craig had a great day, look forward to more in the future.

Cheers,

Robbie.

[quote name='RIM Basses' post='167077' date='Mar 31 2008, 06:33 PM']If any of you guys have it, it has a brown strap in the front pocket with Jim Dunlop flushmount straplocks on it.[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16326&pid=166641&st=0&#entry166641"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry166641[/url]

:)

Oh what fun..... great to meet some of you guys. Sorry I had to dash off after only being there two hours, needed to get a car :)

I'm glad so many of you liked the sandwiches.

Monday and back to the same old routine.......
At work today we spent most of the morning trying to find out what had happened to some sandwiches that had gone missing yesterday. Now these were for a very important customer and so everybody was very concerned. We looked everywhere for these 20 trays of sarnies (mixed meat platters, actually), but could not find them..... 'Where could they possibly have gone', cried my fellow workers...... I guess we will never know....... I don't suppose anybody in basschat land has seen these missing sandwiches ;)

Almost forgot, got a car for the girlfriend..... which I thought was a good swop. :huh: A few careless owners, not really been looked after, the body's a bit rough and the back end drags a bit..... don't know what I ever saw in her.... What's the car like?...... well that's in mint condition, like new! ;)

Cheers,

Mart

I'm only joking..... the car's not that good!

Edited by woodenshirt