Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Owners Club

Hamster

Not sure if contrary opinions are welcome in here but the neck on every Jazz bass I've tried has felt wrong. Too thin and strings too close together. I read that some people have switched from p basses and I'm struggling to understand why!

But if you like 'em then you go right on ahead and play the Hell out of that Jazz bass :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1325956532' post='1490399']
Not sure if contrary opinions are welcome in here but the neck on every Jazz bass I've tried has felt wrong. Too thin and strings too close together
[/quote]
If you look at my Jazz bass on the previous page you'll see it has a Precision neck for that reason

Takes me back to the 70's when, unless you were 'different', people asked 'are you a Precision or Jazz bass player'....I was always a P Bass man but got a Jazz a few years back which is the first one that I have taken to (one of those CS models with the Brazilian 'boards). Now I can say (after all these years) 'I'm both'.

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='bridge' timestamp='1324637954' post='1476466']
Love my Jazz, (2003 MIM) perfect set up, easy play, however, using swing bass 66 stainless at present, good strings, but die quickly, not to much problem there, as I like the "Dead sound" but open to suggestions (clean ones please!) also considering fitting a set of wizzard pups after reading post on here.
[/quote]

I put a set of TI flats on mine and it came alive

I love my bitsa jazz more than any other jazz i've had to date, it has an early 70's style neck, bit chunkier at the rear but still narrow a the nut. Overwound Lindy Fralins, Bad Ass and a Jap body (i think). Have to confess to having a serious bit of JV P love at the mo...a recent purchase off here - tremendous!

Here is my Jazz.

[IMG]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7864/camara007.jpg[/IMG]

I have been many years playing my precision and wondering how "special" a jazz bass would be. Last year, I traded this Japan Jazz for a "spare" T-40 I had and now is my main axe. I love the sound, very easy to play, light and beautifull. As a result the precision is spending long times into the its grave, I mean hardcase.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1324287637' post='1472468']
It took me 25 years to pick up a Jazz Bass for exactly the same reason. I've had 3 over the last 4 years.
[/quote]

Same for me! Now I have 4 of them.
(But I don't love Precisions and I have 2... there must be something wrong with me ?)

I recently came across this one... ticks all the boxes for me in terms of sound, features and finish - to be honest I've always loved 'em just never found one I really liked until now - so i have finally joined the club.

[attachment=96892:DSCF1300.jpg][attachment=96893:DSCF1301.jpg][attachment=96894:DSCF1303.jpg][attachment=96895:DSCF1304.jpg][attachment=96896:DSCF1305.jpg][attachment=96897:DSCF1306.jpg]

Edited by MartyBRebelMC

I've owned a few over the years....always struggled to find one that really fitted me.

Picked up a Classic 70's last year...thicker neck than I've had on a Jazz before, so that suited nicely. Just a nice playing bass.

Got a new Gotoh 201 bridge coming to me this week, so hopefully that'll give it a bit more all round. It's my first mod I've actually ever done on a bass in some years of playing...inspired by BC!

Hello gents. I've been bouncing around, and found the Jazz that really got my attention. An American Standard 2012 Jazz. The pups on this one just sound right.

[IMG]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/roadrex/post-14973-0-16151800-1337132966.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by gsgbass

Here is my latest.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/deanovw/SAM_7894.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/deanovw/SAM_7904.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/deanovw/SAM_7906.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/deanovw/SAM_7895.jpg[/IMG]

My Jazz Bass is a pleasure to play but I must admit I love the powerful tone on the Stingray.

I have a deluxe American Jazz with Active/Passive options and much prefer the sound in passive mode. I find the thinner neck much faster although I small hands so its can see they are not for everyone.

Got massive GAS for a vintage Jazz and looking for the right one now. Very tempted by Simon's 1976 J bass although I really want an 1973 or earlier.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was given a nameless 70s solid body from a Jap Jazz copy in a nice, naturally relic'd sunburst finish and had it hanging about for a couple of years, before finally getting round to putting a MIM rosewood neck on it (£100). The electrics were shot, so I bought some p/ups from a MIJ bass on here (£25), and some new pots (£10).

I put it together more in hope than expectation and it feels, sounds and plays better than my Marcus. All with change from £150.

Feels weird to have an Oxfam bass as my main squeeze with a bass costing about 8 times more as a spare, mind...

• 5 months later...