Why become a member? ×

New little amp for Epi UL410

Rumble

I'll keep it to the point; I have an Epi UL410 with an Ashdown ABM500.

For whatever reason, the Ashdown isn't working in the environment I'm playing in. I want to go back to a SS head, but could do with some advice on which might work best with the Epi:[list=1]
[*]GK MB500
[*]GB Shuttle 6.0
[*]MB LM2/3
[/list]
There may be others, but these are the ones that I'm thinking about at the mo.

Thoughts and opinions welcomed

Epifani cabinets tonal goal - huge wide low end, polite mids, airy top (quite clicky). Very modern sheen, as Talkbass points out, they are very popular with US gospel artists.

I would choose something that's totally opposite, tone wise, when it comes to an amp head. In this case, something with plenty of mid content to grind if you want it to. You can take it out on the EQ much easier than you can put it in if its lacking somewhat from the tonal profile.

Out of those choices, you can't really go wrong. Personally i'd pick up a Shuttle 9.0 from Bass Direct at £550 and have all the headroom/mids you want.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1324301548' post='1472713']
Markbass and Epifani is a match made in Heaven :)
[/quote]

+1 to that. I've run a Markbass F500, F1 and LMK head into my UL310 and UL112 cabs and loved it. Also getting good results with a Genz Benz Streamliner 600, tho need to roll the lows off quite a bit to get some punch.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1324301548' post='1472713']
Markbass and Epifani is a match made in Heaven :)
[/quote]

I would tend to agree with them being a good match.... once you get to grips with some Epi cabs..(thinking 12's here) tendency to wallow a tad..!!!
I don't think either are outstanding in their own right ( don't have too much time on the 10" cabs, tbf ) but the match up is greater than the sum parts, which is exactly the right way around, IMO.