Why become a member? ×

Gigs And The Day Job

Pete Academy

Well working for a national charity, my boss is very relaxed as long as the work is done, so leaving early, or taking a half day at pretty short notice or working from home, so yeah, as i say relaxed about showing your face in the office, but you need to get the work done, i'd feel bad taking the mick

So playing hasn't been a problem, although the furthest we've played is only 60 miles away, i think any further and i'd be looking at taking a full day off

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1324290583' post='1472495']
Most HR's in companies that I know are useless and don't know employment law...and you'd be surprised how far they will press you with
'reasonable' request/requirements that a tribunial would have a field day with.

And in these times when jobs are difficult, they aren't going to slacken off, IMO.

OT apologies
[/quote]

Hahah, I work in HR and you'd be suprised how little other HR departments know. As you know John, I have legal training, so for me HR is a walk in the park type position until my legal contract starts, but at least my current HR dept knows a fair bit about the law. I know a LOT of HR depts who don't even understand basic sick pay rights, and I've had to put them in their place a few times.

Its quite funny being so low in the chain (HR Assistant) yet being more qualified than others. Luckily its only temporary, but to go on topic, they think its great that I play a lot. We don't work Sat/Sun so I only occasionally have to finish work early on a Fri if its an early gig, but normally, no problem.

When I move back to Newcastle, gigging will take a backseat for at least 6-9 months until I settle and find another band I feel comfortable in, (would prefer a quality covers band again).

I think it depends on your job/career. Music is 100% just for fun and additional cash is brilliant, (IMO) and I doubt i'd ever see it as a career. But in normal day to day jobs, I don't see why flexibility can't be called on. Heck, enough others take the piss with time off work, so a few hours once a month for a Friday gig is nothing.

Edited by Musicman20

Not surprised G...appalled, tbh.

I find it funny that you have to set a few straight... altho imagine the seriousness of a situation like that without proper advice.
My lot are a lot of clowns and jokers but when they get to play with other peoples lives.. it is no laughing matter.

When are you going back to Toon..?

I work as a Manager of a large gas / chemicals company who have a view that you should live and breath the company until a few yrs ago during a routine company health check i decided to answer the questionaire truthfully.
Regular headaches - YES
Sleep disturbed - YES
Lack of focus - YES
Elevated blood pressure - YES (but not serious enough to warrant medication)

I thought that this was normal for everyone and just "part of the job"
What came out of it was they suggested i try Stress Councilling. I went and was instructed to switch off at 5pm and concentrate on a hobby or outside interest. I did exactly as ordered. :)
I took up playing in bands again and lo and behold i stopped thinking 24/7 about work and now 24/7 on the band.
My life is far more relaxed and enjoyable.
I don't generally work weekends and therefore they are free to gig as i please. Fridays or weekdays don't suit the band either so that's worked out well and they don't want to gig every week either so that suits me just fine.

What most companies and Managers forget is that Overtime is a courtesy given by the employee and not generally a legal requirement that forces you unless with prior agreement.
Its a 2 way street and one that has to be dealt with delicately and with fairness across the board.
I have an open door management policy and if someone needs time off at short notice i usually oblige as the shoe can be on the other foot if i need someone to work late at short notice.
Most guys appreciate the 2 way street and it works well.

With regards call-outs. You should get an allowance for being on "stand-by" plus paid from minute you are called to the minute you arrive back home to include all travel. Provided the company is paying your allowance and can justify the reason for call out rota then only option i could see was to leave. Its a very grey area and kinda open to interpretation.

Back to the original thread - works ok for me at the moment.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

For general 2 or 3 times a month gigging it's not a problem for me. If we had to travel I'd just take a half day or full day holiday. It's my hobby, I can't expect my employer to change it's rules for me. They don't pay much but do give relatively generous annual leave which in theory I can take when I like as long as I give adequate notice. There are some limited times of year where it is clearly stated I'm not supposed to take casual time off. I was approached by a band recently who were talking about possibly touring the USA for a couple of months once they had a firm reliable lineup but I had to turn them down. That band was never going to pay my mortgage and bills, my employer's salary does.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1324295170' post='1472577']
Not surprised G...appalled, tbh.

I find it funny that you have to set a few straight... altho imagine the seriousness of a situation like that without proper advice.
My lot are a lot of clowns and jokers but when they get to play with other peoples lives.. it is no laughing matter.

When are you going back to Toon..?
[/quote]

Move is going to be roughly July for my start date mid August! Getting closer now.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1324290583' post='1472495']
Most HR's in companies that I know are useless and don't know employment law...and you'd be surprised how far they will press you with
'reasonable' request/requirements that a tribunial would have a field day with.

And in these times when jobs are difficult, they aren't going to slacken off, IMO.

OT apologies
[/quote]
IME most HR departments DO now employment law (or at least the people in charge of HR do - the average HR assistant's job is office admin) HR depts are not your friends. They are paid for and work in the best interests of the company, and their role can be summarised as 'knowing the law and seeing what we can get away with."

I'm a freelance, I can make my own hours to a certain extent, and work from home if I want to - it's pretty easy for me to fit in work around other commitments. Occasionally I'll have those weeks where I can't leave my desk until something's done, but it doesn't happen as much with my current clients, I got rid of the badly organised ones. :)