Why become a member? ×

Cab Advice to Partner Aguilar DB750

Marcus

Hi Guys,

I've just acquired an Aguilar DB750 and i'm considering my choice of Cabs

Gigs these days are mainly smallish pub / club type situations with PA Support

I've gone for the DB750 for it's tone more than the huge power so i'm not planning (or needing) to run the head down to 2 ohms to get the full power. So i'm considering a pair of small 8ohm cabs. or a single 4 ohm cab.

Options considered so far are a pair of Aguilar DB112's or a DB410 (also considering a GS410)

I'm pretty sure the DB410 would do any gig I'll be doing for the forseeable future, however the DB112's do really appeal as a small footprint and easy to transport package.

Is the DB212 worth considering in all this ?

Would a pair of DB112's be authorative enough in the context of a rock band's stage mix ?

Also - has anyone A B'd the GS410 v the DB410 ?

Any advice most welcome

Thanks

Mark

Hi,

I briefly had a DB750 and was running into three DB112 cabs. It was awesome! Two cabs will still be great. I think the fact they aren't Neo cabs contributes to the great bass response. I found the head too 'woolly' in the end, so got a Mesa. But the cabs I'd definetly recommend with your head.

I am currently using 2 8ohm Markbass cabs (STD 104HF and STD 151HF) with my Aggie DB750 and I am very happy with the tone I get but I have put them up for sale as with the smaller venues I am now playing I am finding I dont use the 1x15 except in rehearsal. One thing is for certain I'll never get rid of the Aguilar DB750 - smoothest sound and simple to use.

Ian

Worth trying is the Eden 210XST. I find there's more bottom end at lower volumes than two single 12s, although having them is a great option too. The Eden is relatively light for such a top end bass cab and isn't much wider than the DB750 in a rackcase.

Happy hunting. I'm quite excited for you :-)

[quote name='lawriemacmillan' post='167239' date='Mar 31 2008, 09:48 PM']Worth trying is the Eden 210XST. I find there's more bottom end at lower volumes than two single 12s, although having them is a great option too. The Eden is relatively light for such a top end bass cab and isn't much wider than the DB750 in a rackcase.

Happy hunting. I'm quite excited for you :-)[/quote]

I've used Eden Cabs previously and really enjoyed them (XLT's) I found the 410 XLT very similar to the Aguilar GS410 I've fancied the XST for a while, I might hunt it down.....

I'm excited too ! !

Followng several weeks using a recently acquired ul502 (exclusively), I went back to the DB750 and spent all afternoon with it through an Epi ul112. What a pleasant experience! I love the 502 and hadn't thought I'd missed the heft and authority of the Aguilar but the difference was really surprising - two very different amps, each with its own strong character. The Epi is the only cab I have - I use if for on-stage monitoring (on the floor or at around waist height) and it works very neatly in most situations. It can be reasonably loud if it needs to be but remains tight, focused and articulate. To be honest, with PA support, I haven't found any situations in which its been unable to cope (though a loud rock gig might be beyond a single 12). I haven't had a chance to use two ul112s together (or a ul212) but I'd suspect the result would be pretty astonishing - the Epis have the attraction of being very light (about 30lbs) and might go some way towards compensating for the considerable weight of the DB750!

I use an Aguilar DB680 through a pair of Acme Low B2s.

The cabs go very low and don't weight very much (50lbs, I think). They also reproduce the preamp tone very faithfully. The preamp section of the DB750 is not identical to the DB680 but I know they're similar. A pair of Acme B2s could do the job.

I think both Acme B2s combined after shipping and tax cost around the same as a single Epi 2x10 from The Bass Gallery.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ste_m3' post='168292' date='Apr 2 2008, 11:57 AM']I still get a bit warm when i see that oranguilar rig! Let me know if you fancy anything in my sig eh :)[/quote]

how about the blonde with the mic? :huh:

[quote name='Marcus' post='179473' date='Apr 18 2008, 08:17 AM']Thanks Guys....... I've bought an Aguilar DB410 (4ohm)

Great Box !! Talk about Grunt and Heft, can't wait to use it live

Mark[/quote]

The only bloke I know who can have bought and gotten a cab home before the shop even has the stock on the floor :)

I was in GG tuther day and they were still discussing where to put the Aggie stock! Go on you may as well get back in there and get the 2x10 to save them the trouble of shufftying the gear about and putting it on display :huh:

[quote name='Marcus' post='179473' date='Apr 18 2008, 08:17 AM']Thanks Guys....... I've bought an Aguilar DB410 (4ohm)

Great Box !! Talk about Grunt and Heft, can't wait to use it live

Mark[/quote]

Excellent choice no doubt - I haven't played or heard a DB410 but I imagine it will sound amazing with the 750!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='179518' date='Apr 18 2008, 09:24 AM']The only bloke I know who can have bought and gotten a cab home before the shop even has the stock on the floor :)

I was in GG tuther day and they were still discussing where to put the Aggie stock! Go on you may as well get back in there and get the 2x10 to save them the trouble of shufftying the gear about and putting it on display :huh:[/quote]

The DB210 they have in is an 8 ohm, me being fussy I didn't want to mix impedence or i'd have it home by now !! LOL

Nice Nice tone......!!

Had Funky Hobbit and Kev Bucket over yesterday with thir toys (Cutlass, Fender Jazz, Spector NS2) all sounded great into the Big Aggie !!