Why become a member? ×

Basschat warms the cockles of your heart !

edstraker123

I put a listing in the wanted section of the marketplace at the weekend as I wanted to trade a bass for a guitar and got a response from Tom1946 not long after. Suffice to say we did the deal and both bass and guitar arrived safely today. I mentioned to a colleague in work what we had done and he couldn't believe that people would just post items of value to people they don't really know. Having dealt with Tom before, as I'm sure many other basschatters have, I had no qualms in just posting the bass on the back of a couple of messages and hope Tom felt the same way. I just thought it was worth mentioning that it is absolutely amazing, especially in this day and age, to have a forum in which people are willing to put this much trust in each other and where you can deal with people in a fair and honest manner. Long may it last !

Exactly This sort of thing was why bassworld (as was then) first caught my attention and drew me in. I got sent a bass in the post totally on trust! And all all these years later, despite the fact that I'm a much less regular poster I'm still very proud to be a part of such a unique and genuine community.
Happy Christmas everyone :)

Aaahhh!! :)

I sold my P bass on Sunday on this site, the money was in my bank account within 2 hours and I still had the bass. I had never had contact with the chap before but after a couple of PM's, the deal was done. I guess we trusted each other to do the right thing due to this site. And it works, try doing that on Ebay.

Edited to say thanks to all the guys on here who PM'd about the reason I sold the bass, you don't know how much I appreciated that. Basschat Rocks.

Edited by Bassman Sam

I've traded a few things, shipped them and then waited for the other guys item to arrive. I've also paid for items by bank transfer too, which I guess could be construed as being a bit silly. People have also paid me for items by bank transfer.

Generally though, I prefer to meet face to face.

As George Orwell said, 'on the whole humans want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time'.

I post regularly on a couple of watch and clock interest forums and it's exactly the same there. If the guy has been around a long while and has a history of trading with the other guys there I have no worries about sending a watch out on approval, or paying by BT before I see a watch coming in.

One useful thing they have there is a 'Heroes and Villains' sticky. Here members can post brief recommendations of really exceptional service they get from dealers, good deals they've done with other members and equally name people/dealers who have given shoddy service, ripped them off etc. Obviously there's a fine line between criticism and libel but if somebody says 'I wouldn't deal with that person again as long as I have a hole in my arse' you kind of get the message.

Just a thought...

Rob

[quote name='Beefyeggo' timestamp='1323867725' post='1467943']
I post regularly on a couple of watch and clock interest forums and it's exactly the same there. If the guy has been around a long while and has a history of trading with the other guys there I have no worries about sending a watch out on approval, or paying by BT before I see a watch coming in.

One useful thing they have there is a 'Heroes and Villains' sticky. Here members can post brief recommendations of really exceptional service they get from dealers, good deals they've done with other members and equally name people/dealers who have given shoddy service, ripped them off etc. Obviously there's a fine line between criticism and libel but if somebody says 'I wouldn't deal with that person again as long as I have a hole in my arse' you kind of get the message.

Just a thought...

Rob
[/quote]

TZ-UK right? Love that forum... I have tried to avoid it recently because it always ends up with a costly bank transfer!

Nice to hear people are enjoying the forum.

ped

I've had nothing but good experiences on here!
My first trade was to mutually post guitars on the same day, neither of us had any feedback so we chatted on the phone and exchanged contact details etc, everything went swimmingly!
I've had money bank transferred and have done likewise, paypal you name it...

The icing on the cake was when Krispn posted me a Pickle Pie-b from Glasgow just so I could have a look at it to know whether I'd like to buy one (not his cos it wasn't for sale), sheer brilliance on his part! I did buy one in the end and I got it back intime for his next band practice too!

I've only dealt with solid, helpful, genuine folk on here an dlong may it continue!

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1323872772' post='1468070']
I've had nothing but good experiences on here!
My first trade was to mutually post guitars on the same day, neither of us had any feedback so we chatted on the phone and exchanged contact details etc, everything went swimmingly!
I've had money bank transferred and have done likewise, paypal you name it...

The icing on the cake was when Krispn posted me a Pickle Pie-b from Glasgow just so I could have a look at it to know whether I'd like to buy one (not his cos it wasn't for sale), sheer brilliance on his part! I did buy one in the end and I got it back intime for his next band practice too!

I've only dealt with solid, helpful, genuine folk on here an dlong may it continue!
[/quote]
I remember :) it well Andy.

Whilst doing the trade a little voice in my head was saying "what are you doing fool". Posting £600 worth of bass without any guarantee is not mormally something i would do. Never had a problem. Everyone i have dealt with has been a complete gentleman(woman). Long may it continue.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1323876354' post='1468119']
I remember :) it well Andy.

Whilst doing the trade a little voice in my head was saying "what are you doing fool". Posting £600 worth of bass without any guarantee is not mormally something i would do. Never had a problem. Everyone i have dealt with has been a complete gentleman(woman). Long may it continue.
[/quote]

Absolutely matey! and likewise with the little voice of 'reason', the few chats we had reassured me no end!

Same for me, i've been sent plenty of instrument up front as payments for trades, one even just to try to see if I liked it as I was unsure. In the end I didn't like it and sent it back, no complaints from the owner. Whilst this thread is good to see, it must be remembered not to become complaicent.