Why become a member? ×

Stagg multi guitar stands? Good or bad?

LiamPodmore

I'm looking at a few multi guitar stands (The case type ones) and came across these 2 from Stagg. Anyone know of the quality/durability/etc.... of these, 'cause i could use a stand like this for my bedroom and on stage and obviously don't want a piece of crap that'll fall apart on me when i move it.

The 2 stands in question:

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/stagg-gdc-6-guitar-stand-case/6594"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/stagg-gdc-6-guitar-stand-case/6594[/url]

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/stagg-gdc-8-guitar-stand-case/6583"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/stagg-gdc-8-guitar-stand-case/6583[/url]

Both the same really, just one holds 2 more electrics, or 3 more acoustics :) than the other.

Liam

(Sorry for seeming very uhm... enthusiastic? I'm a little bored at work, although i am actually interested in these)

A mate of mine uses a couple of these in his shop. (Space efficient solution for 2nd hand electrics) They've been in daily service for over 5 years now. BUT they never get moved, (except for occasional cleaning behind!) and are backed up against a wall.

They don't inspire a lot of confidence in the "grab a corner and give it a shake" test. (especially if they were to be used away from a wall)

My money'd go on a steel frame type of stand. You may be perfectly happy with one, but I'd recommend seeing/feeling one in the "flesh" before forking out on one.

I've got a six guitar one of these that I've had since about 2003, it's been to countless gigs, in and out of the van more times than I care to remember, and is currently doing service in the corner of my practice room.

It's still in great shape, the only thing starting to look a bit rough is one or two of the padded dividers that sit in the bottom between the guitars. For the £45 it cost me, I've had great use out of it and it's showing no sign of falling to bits yet!

Guitarist in my current (!) band swears by his, and his houses 3 Les Paul's total value around 6 grand. Looks after them like babies, so believe me, if they didn't do the job he wouldn't use one.

saw them on ebay recently for 45 quid ( 6 guitar version). Guitar Guitar selling them for over 70. doh!

I have a Fender tweed version, which to be honest, apart from the badge, is probably built exactly the same. Its built very well, and i move it around, it shows no sign of wear at all, latches are strong etc, for the price of the ones on your link, i reckon theyre an absolute steal, and well worth a punt!

Here's my 3 guitar version, i also have a 7 guitar version, which is identical (Except bigger ;) ), both are built very sturdily.

[attachment=95372:Bass Rack 007.jpg]

Last night I watched the guitarist in my band collapse his Stagg case in about 10 seconds flat! He has had it for at least 2 years that I know of so he has done it many times, Many many times, yet it remains intact and stable.

Believe me, this guy won't let anyone even touch his Gibson's, let alone play ( oh yes, he has issues!).

Nice to have a Fender badge (all due respect) but it's a stand, not a sexy guitar enhancing your stage presence. :)

I would get one, but there's never enough room on my side of the stage :(

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1324210600' post='1471776']
:blink: How many basses do you have on stage? I thought I was extravagant having a spare in a gig bag propped up behind my amp!

Are you Adam Clayton?

;)
[/quote]

I like to have 2 on stage whenever possible as i use both, and i prefer my spare to be out of the bag, as close to me as possible so i can change as fast as i can, plus it will likely have the singers acoustic in it, and maybe another bass, depending on the gig.

Liam

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1323974383' post='1469460']
Guitarist in my current (!) band swears by his, and his houses 3 Les Paul's total value around 6 grand. Looks after them like babies, so believe me, if they didn't do the job he wouldn't use one.

saw them on ebay recently for 45 quid ( 6 guitar version). Guitar Guitar selling them for over 70. doh!
[/quote]

I'm sure I've got a photo somewhere of mine from a tour a few years ago, with two Stingrays and four Gibbo SGs sat in it! We've even carried it off stage fully loaded (a two man job, that one!)

I`ve used the Warwick stands, as below, both the 3 and 7 version. Very good, and folds down in an instant. I recommend getting a 7, and the whole band putting all their gtrs in it. Saves a lot of on-stage room, rather than 5 or 6 individual stands.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/warwick-rockbag-7-multiple-guitar-rack-stand-f-p-rs20882/7364

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1324757883' post='1477697']
I`ve used the Warwick stands, as below, both the 3 and 7 version. Very good, and folds down in an instant. I recommend getting a 7, and the whole band putting all their gtrs in it. Saves a lot of on-stage room, rather than 5 or 6 individual stands.

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/warwick-rockbag-7-multiple-guitar-rack-stand-f-p-rs20882/7364"]http://www.gak.co.uk...-p-rs20882/7364[/url]
[/quote]

Thanjs Lozz, i'll have a look at them when the GAK website decides to work for me. I quite like Warwick gear (Hence having a Warwick amp in a Warwick case)

Liam

While we're on this subject, could someone who's got one of these be incredibly kind and measure the depth of it for me when folded please? Would have a need for one and if it'll fit in the 10cm or so that's available down the back of my cab in its flightcase that'd be the icing on the cake...

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1324767232' post='1477794']
While we're on this subject, could someone who's got one of these be incredibly kind and measure the depth of it for me when folded please? Would have a need for one and if it'll fit in the 10cm or so that's available down the back of my cab in its flightcase that'd be the icing on the cake...
[/quote]

From what i've seen i think it should easily fit in that kind of gap, but obviously i don't have one to measure yet. No specs online anywhere as per the depth of it?

Liam

A question for the Warwick multi-stand owners: are they designed for solid-bodied instruments, or will they hold acoustic instruments? I'd like something to hold my home noodling arsenal which includes a classical and an acoustic g**t*r. Thanks!

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1325534895' post='1484161']
A question for the Warwick multi-stand owners: are they designed for solid-bodied instruments, or will they hold acoustic instruments? I'd like something to hold my home noodling arsenal which includes a classical and an acoustic g**t*r. Thanks!
[/quote]

They say they're designed to hold both, stagg, warwick and fender have all said this for their stands.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1325540034' post='1484252']
They say they're designed to hold both, stagg, warwick and fender have all said this for their stands.

Liam
[/quote]

Thanks Liam - I'm eyeing up the Warwick 5-er but thought I might have to go for the 7-er to get the extra space :-O

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1325534895' post='1484161']
[/quote]

Don't know how different the Warwick's are to the Stagg - the Stagg will take acoustic instruments, but they'll take up two spaces. You just lift out one of the foam dividers from the bottom of the stand and a wider bodied instrument will sit right in there.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1325591085' post='1484701']
Don't know how different the Warwick's are to the Stagg - the Stagg will take acoustic instruments, but they'll take up two spaces. You just lift out one of the foam dividers from the bottom of the stand and a wider bodied instrument will sit right in there.
[/quote]

That's what I thought might be case... best to go for the 7-er. And if there's any space left over, there's always [url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/19-for-sale-basses/"]http://basschat.co.uk/forum/19-for-sale-basses/[/url] :rolleyes:

I have one which me and the guitarist share in the rehearsal room and he takes one out live, both are about 4 years old and have stood up to general abuse but careful use. I think they are brilliant for the money the only complaint i have is the soft dividers in the base need fixing in some way. I know they are loose to accommodate different guitars over time but they tend to move too easily, so much so the guitarist through his out but it works just as well.
I like the look of the 3 instrument fender one which has much bigger dividers.

Dave