Why become a member? ×

Music Man Custom Job by Jim Cairnes

funkydoug

Now back on sale as previous sale didn't work out.

This is a great handmade bass my a guy called Jim Cairns up here in the north east. I have a couple of his basses and they're fantastic- all very well made with top woods and electrics.

This has Bartolini mm style pickup, its active, it has a Screwjack bridge. the body colour is vintage white, pick guard is 3 ply black, the neck is a GORGEOUS birds eye maple job with a rosewood fretboard and is is a thing of beauty! Its recently had a new scratch plate, new nobs 'n pots and wee set up courtesy of my fiendly local guitar tech Alan Brason (PM me for his details if you want any work doing in tyneside - great bloke, great at his job and really fair prices).

Its probably about 15-20 years old ( I've had it for about 8 years) and has a few dings (see pics) but it plays and sounds great and looks the part. It comes in bomb proof flight case as in the pics which is a great case in its own right!

Price is £300 includeing the case. delivery will be at the buyer's expense.
Cheers, D.
[attachment=9500:DSCF3270.JPG] [attachment=9501:DSCF3267.JPG] [attachment=9502:DSCF3271.JPG] [attachment=9503:DSCF3274.JPG] [attachment=9504:DSCF3275.JPG] [attachment=9506:DSCF3276.JPG] [attachment=9507:DSCF3278.JPG] [attachment=9509:DSCF3280.JPG] [attachment=9510:DSCF3272.JPG][attachment=9513:DSCF3277.JPG]

Edited by funkydoug

Jim Cairns is the slowest builder in the world, 12 weeks to refin a 'ray for me a few years back. That said, his work is simply superb, his necks are wonderful & he still makes the best strat pickups I've heard. £250 for anything built by Jim is the deal of the decade.

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='166802' date='Mar 31 2008, 12:13 PM']Pics PLEASE!!! :)[/quote]

Has this not gone yet ?

around these parts Jim is known as "The Master"

I had one of Jim's Fretless MM necsk (sold it to Beedster) it was terrific !

I'd buy it myself, but i'm "stingrayed up" just now

great to hear so many locals who know their stuff!!

Like I say its in a shop hanging up right now because to be honest I wasn't expecting so much interest. I can go and get it and take a few pics but it'll be later in the week. Its a corker and the neck (as a few people mentioned) is a thing to behold! ask away if you've any questions.

for the guy who used to own it - I feel like we share a special bond... ha ha. Its still as good as you remember so get your wallet out brother! :)

In case anyone is interested in trades. the only thing I'd want to part exchange on is a really good compressor. Pedal or desktop format not rack and only good stuff (EBS, Monte Allums, maybe BBE opto). Cheers.

Edited by funkydoug

[quote name='spacecowboy' post='166827' date='Mar 31 2008, 12:59 PM']I'm actually really happy to see so many Newcastle boys on this board! Like the rest add me to that que for pics! i know another northerner who will no doubt be interested too i just think he hasn't seen this add yet![/quote]

Dang the Geordie fraternity are showing their true colours :)

Oh and I have a horrible feeling that I was nearly an owner of this bass... I seem to recall checking out a bass of this description a few years ago... pics will confirm or deny this rumour.

If that be your Stage II it looks mighty fine!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='paul, the' post='224101' date='Jun 22 2008, 12:47 PM']I will sleep better if you can find anything you don't like about this deal.[/quote]

Its good to have the bass back, I had it built 14 years ago, sold it and regreted it ever since, its been passed around bassist all over the country and then Doug the star that he is, sells me it back for a good price, Hes happy im WELL happy so unfortunalty its a sleepless night for you :) LOL
Cheers
Dave

Edited by cd_david