Why become a member? ×

Best Octaver?

Lysdexia

It's long been one of my favourite 'must-have' fx for my style of playing, but I'm tiring of the lower frequency artefacts from my Line 6 lowdown. I enjoy the random nature of the additional wobbles from time to time, but it's a head-done-in feature when tight control is required.

For some time now I've wanted something close to a hybrid tone of that 'Sledgehammer' sound from the Gabriel track and the timeless chorusy brilliance of Barry Adamson in his magazine days - but how best to get close.

Suggestions/tips/advice most welcome guys!

Edited by Lysdexia

if you can pick up a decent condition OC2 for £50 on eBay then dont think twice. There are usually lots up for auction and some go for up to £75. After that I liked my MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, which I picked up on eBay for £70. You can then head up the scale with various features including octave up/down, mix but sky's the limit. OC2's the classic.

Edited by RichF

The OC-3 is a digital octaver with an OC-2 'mode' - so presumably it's just imitating the sound of the OC-2 rather than also containing and using the guts of an OC-2, and people are really fond of the OC-2 sound so probably not that keen on an emulation of it when they can have the real thing.

The polyphonic stuff the OC-3 does is a completely different type of effect (digital resampling) and tends to sound a bit thin, not really very useful for bass, so again the OC-2 remains more popular amongst bassists.

A quick eBay search for BOSS OC in completed listings shows both OC-2s and OC-3s going for around £45-£55 + P&P. (And there's one optimistic listing for an OC-2 with a starting bid of $295! [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-OC-2-Octaver-Original-80s-Made-Japan-Vintage-Guitar-Pedal-/180736617631?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a14bdec9f#ht_544wt_732"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-OC-2-Octaver-Original-80s-Made-Japan-Vintage-Guitar-Pedal-/180736617631?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a14bdec9f#ht_544wt_732[/url])

Quite fancy one meself now...

I've got an OC-3 (off Shep last month) & mainly use it in "OC-2" mode, hough occasionally I'll put it into "Drive" mode which adds some drive (weird that).
I tried an OC-2 a few years ago, but it was gone when I went back for it. Can't compare how they sound as I've never tried side by side
I am happy with the OC-3 though & once it's gone hrought the Moogs, it's pretty Phat synth sounding :)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1323614662' post='1465026']
Pardon my ignorance, but can anyone recommend an Octave which offers both clean octave up and down? Does one exist? I am that clueless! (Not necessarily at the same time but that would be a bonus!)
[/quote]

First one that springs to mind is in the Line 6 M5/M9/M13 but i'm sure there's more around.

Liam

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1323614662' post='1465026']
Pardon my ignorance, but can anyone recommend an Octave which offers both clean octave up and down? Does one exist? I am that clueless! (Not necessarily at the same time but that would be a bonus!)
[/quote]

Electro Harmonix Micro Pog does this.