Why become a member? ×

Sweet

dmccombe7

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1323364951' post='1462572']
I loved The Sweet as a kid...great singles/b-sides band and in my opinion peaked with Sweet Fanny Adams and Desolation Boulevard. Sadly the only time I saw 'them' live was on a horrific double-bill of Les Gray's Mud and Brian Connoly's Sweet at Guildford Civic Hall about twenty years ago.

Connolly was a gibbering wreck at that time and barely moved two feet from his mic-stand; he had to be led on and off stage. His voice had gone and the drink had obviously wrecked his system. He was being heckled horribly by some blokes in the audience (someone shouted, 'You fat bastard!' and he stammered through response of, 'I've lost forty pounds actually.'). Awful. It's an image I just can't shake, even after all these years.

P
[/quote]

Yeah, I was at that gig too. Sad memories.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1323127974' post='1459734']
Having worked, in the late 80s, with many bands from the [i]Glam[/i] era, I came across BC's Sweet many times and got to know the lads a little.
I have to be honest and say that watching BC on stage was not a pleasant experience. He was clearly not well.
[/quote]

Brian's version of Sweet (along with Les Gray's vs of Mud, as others have mentioned) were already doing the Uni xmas party circuit in the early 80's and he didn't look quite right even then, sad to see indeed. Because of their respective ailments didn't the two refer to each other as 'Shaky n Flaky' ?
Even in their charting heyday you only had to flip a single over and catch a b-side to realise that there was more to them than the Chinnichap hits.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1323364951' post='1462572']
Connolly was a gibbering wreck at that time and barely moved two feet from his mic-stand; he had to be led on and off stage. His voice had gone and the drink had obviously wrecked his system.
[/quote]

The feller who decorated my flat in Slough told me he was one of the few friends Brian Connolly had left in the end. He was one of the few that visited him in Wexham Hospital when he finally died. He said Brian was a very difficult man, bitter and not easy in the slightest. I think it was all a bit Eleanor Rigby in the end.

• 1 year later...

My favourite band at the time. I've got everything they have done. Been educating my sons only this week on them. One of my all time favourite songs -'Love is like oxygen' one of the most emotive songs of my childhood is - 'Little Willie'. I was too young to know what it meant, but took refuge in it in sad times.
They can be coarse at times, but a quick press of the 'next' button and you remember they know how to rock!
Great band and yet so sad to see how it all panned out for them.

We used to tour a lot with Sweet, Slade, Mud mainly the xmas tours and a lot in Europe, there was a lot of "we are the super stars" stuff and we don't move the drum kit for nobody..we hardly ever got time to soundcheck either but we used to just get on with it, fantastic musicians tho all of them.

Think Teenage Rampage was one of my first singles as a teenager.
Fantastic band. Great at all the different styles they did from the light pop to the Glam rock to the heavy rock B sides. What's not to like in a band that can do it all and still have a bit of fun with it in Steve Priest's occasional antics with the camera.

Sad the way it ended up but they gave us so much to remember and appreciate.

Dave

Superb Rock Band, they did the sugar sweet singles to make a name and money at heart they were a heavy rock band, and they can play, i have some great bootlegs from the 70,s, I was lucky enough to have had a great chat with Brian connolly, i worked as security for big bands during the late 70's up to 2,000's met him in Glasgow one night outside a chinese rest, he was superb character great guy to talk to he told me they did the chin , chapman thing to make themselves shed loads of money!!! which he blew on booze, cars, houses etc, he was killing himself with the booze, and he knew it, he told me the guys just wanted to play heavy rock, but they had to make money, so glad i had the chance to talk to him , only seems like yesterday but he is long gone. He did it all, so he said he could not complain if he died tomorrow.

Edited by geofio