Why become a member? ×

Pre CBS Fender basses

dafonky

[quote name='Tweedledum' timestamp='1504264866' post='3363757']
This one moved from Hoxton Street to my place just yesterday B) :gas: :D :i-m_so_happy:

[url="https://flic.kr/p/YhxRL2"][/url]

[url="https://flic.kr/p/X48gzP"][/url]

[url="https://flic.kr/p/X48eZp"][/url]

[url="https://flic.kr/p/Y2qhYE"][/url]
[/quote]
Quoted for new page. That is absolutely gorgeous. Amazing. I once played a '55 so I can imagine how it sounds. Fantastic.

[quote name='BassAgent' timestamp='1504989502' post='3368770']
Quoted for new page. That is absolutely gorgeous. Amazing. I once played a '55 so I can imagine how it sounds. Fantastic.
[/quote]
Thanks! It really is an amazing bass. Surely not a bargain, but worth the price IME.
It sounds and feels great. It's got growl and punch and very vivid midrange tones and rich harmonic overtones. I don't mind that flagpole of a neck at all, it actually fits quite nicely in the hand. The neck is absolutely straight. I can set the action to 2mm (measured at last fret) and could even go lower without any buzz above the 12th fret. The neck has been perfect the last 60 years so I'm quite confident it's not going to warp, twist or hump for the next 60 years.
The fact that the finish is in very good condition and the bass is 100% original including the case makes it even more lovable (and valuable, too).
And that one piece ash body is just beautiful.

• 3 months later...
On 09/01/2017 at 16:37, Rick's Fine '52 said:

Latest addition, very scarce 3-knob 1961 Fender Jazz. Probably the nicest bass I've ever played, I've only seen one other, and after playing this one, just fell in love.

rNuOIMl.jpg&key=71f4a2f5857805de09920c67927f4f796884316c3ab2e712e045372b22a4735c

Ye gods.

that is perfect. I suspect I'm about £10,000 short of being able to ever have one though!

• 7 months later...
On 31 August 2018 at 22:08, onehandclapping said:

my old jazz basses

1964 s'burst,1962 white slab board vvt, 1963 fiesta red matching h'stock

Great collection. The matching headstock 63 looks fantastic. Just the right amount of wear . Do you still have them?

Yes, and I use them most weeks doing a gig,turn 70 this week so I really should make an effort to sell the white one.Everytime I use the red one someone comes up and asks me about it that has never happened before with any bass and I have been playing over 50 years.People lined up for the red one but it’s not going😃

Edited by onehandclapping

By coincidence, onehandclapping, I have some similar jazz basses ( previously posted using photo bucket so images now gone)

TiELTfV.jpg

The white one is '62, the sunburst is '64 and the CAR is '65, all with original finishes.

Whether this is appropriate for this thread I am not sure, but I also have a '62 with a replaced fretless fingerboard and refinish.

1tHBs85.jpg

I much prefer older instruments to have plenty of wear. It removes the sense of responsibility for keeping them pristine, making them more likely to be used, like yours. have a great birthday !!

ZEhc6DB.jpg

9jbf4WJ.jpg

c4TGOav.jpg

zHbQJgl.jpg

BTW, Please add me to the list of inerested parties if you ever decide to sell your '63😀

• Like 1

• 5 months later...