Why become a member? ×

How do Honeys compare (tension and sound) to...

thisnameistaken

I had Evah Weichs on for a while. The Honey's were lower tension than them on the bass. I'm currently running Velvet Animas which are comparable in tension but louder and clearer throughout the range. Honeys sounded the best on this bass so far though.

Have you thought about the orch Honeys? They have the braided core and are supposed to be more bowable than the jazz Honeys.

Got them on today. The E is a bit of a disappointment but I've got a couple of other Es I can try. Pizz on the other strings is pretty nice, comparable in sound to the spiro weichs I used to have on, but they feel a little lighter and more flexible a bit like evah weichs. Under the bow they take a little effort, again a bit like spiros, but sound pretty good.

I think I've just confirmed to myself that I need two basses - I really like both the modern and trad sounds and I want both. :) Would still like to try Super Silvers though, I think the Silver Slaps are a bit too floppy for me but to be fair they are great to slap and bloody loud.

• 3 weeks later...

I started with D'Addario Medium gauge Hybrids (too tight and they seemed to strangle the sound) and then changed to D'Addario Light gauge Pizz (much, much better). I have just tuned them down by a tone D, G, C, F and they sound (and feel) better still. I also tried Weedwackers and hated them. Far too fat and floppy and, for me, the E and A were unusable.

So, how do Honeys compare tension wise? If Weedwackers are 1 and hybrids are a 10...where would the Honeys be?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Shaker

Hi Shaker,
I've replied to your pm, but just for reference I'll post here too...
I'd say that the honeys would be about 4/10 on that scale, though it's a surprisingly subjective question, and the stop length and the angle over the bridge will both have an effect on the tension.
The honeys probably woun't have quite as much growl as the hybrids as they are designed to simulate gut, but they do have some, along with a nice warmth to the sound. It's also worth bearing in mind that they are a little thicker than most strings.
Cheers,
Daf